Mobius ActionCam - Rear Dashcam

Rear mounted - front facing.

Sunny

Dusk

Astronomical dusk - Headlights ON

Been a little over 2 years since I've had this Mobius in my car. Currently using two with telephoto lenses for the front and rear, overall, very happy with how both have performed.

Barring the diesel startup quirk, both have been utterly reliable. I know it's wishful thinking but I still hope to see a fix for the startup routine they messed up with 2.37. My only complaint.

My rear facing Mobius cam (V1 pcb) has been installed for well over three years now and also continues to perform well. Occasionally, I get lazy and don't even bother to check the memory card for months but when I do the footage is all as it should be. (I always do keep a sharp eye on the blinking rear pilot light LED in my rear view mirror, so I know if the camera is functioning normally.) The only problem I ever experience with the rear Mobius is in extreme sub freezing weather when the temperature is around -10 ºC (-14ºF) or below. The camera needs to be plugged in for about minute until the DSP warms up enough to work properly and then rebooted. The V2 and V3 pcb versions of the Mobius don't seem to have this issue.

Last edited:
My rear facing Mobius cam (V1 pcb) has been installed for well over three years now and also continues to perform well. Occasionally, I get lazy and don't even bother to check the memory card for months but when I do the footage is all as it should be. (I always do keep a sharp eye on the blinking rear pilot light LED in my rear view mirror, so I know if the camera is functioning normally.) The only problem I ever experience with the rear Mobius is in extreme sub freezing weather when the temperature is around -10 ºC (-14ºF) or below. The camera needs to be plugged in for about minute until the DSP warms up enough to work properly and then rebooted. The V2 and V2 pcb versions of the Mobius don't seem to have this issue.

I rarely pull out the cards from my telephotos but yeah each and every time I have, never had any issues like missing or corrupt files. Both my M1s I think are V2. Lowest these have seen is 2°C, that too just once.

I never quite realized that Dehli would experience temps down to 2ºC. (assuming you were in Dehli when you had the 2ºC temps.) Here in northern New England USA where I live we occasionally see -30ºC but thankfully not that often. Some of that has to do with living on a mountain. Down in the valley things will be maybe 12ºC warmer. Sometimes I'll be driving home in the rain and by the time I make it half way up the mountain it is snowing. In the summer at about the same elevation you can feel the cooler air coming in a car's window. On the other end we occasionally will see about 37ºC (about 100º F) but also thankfully not that often. Unfortunately, it's impossible not to notice over the decades that we are seeing those extremes more often.

I never quite realized that Dehli would experience temps down to 2ºC. (assuming you were in Dehli when you had the 2ºC temps.) Here in northern New England USA where I live we occasionally see -30ºC but thankfully not that often. Some of that has to do with living on a mountain. Down in the valley things will be maybe 12ºC warmer. Sometimes I'll be driving home in the rain and by the time I make it half way up the mountain it is snowing. In the summer at about the same elevation you can feel the cooler air coming in a car's window. On the other end we occasionally will see about 37ºC (about 100º F) but also thankfully not that often. Unfortunately, it's impossible not to notice over the decades that we are seeing those extremes more often.

Most North Indian plains experience extreme temperatures, many 48-50° days during summer and a few winter days ranging between 1-4°C. Was 4° a few days back, my favourite part of the year! Quite used to the cold, spent my school years at a boarding school up in the hills.

Has anyone noticed the D lens is somehow offset from the sensor? I have mine mounted in my back window perfectly level, but the image looks like it's pointing upward

Has anyone noticed the D lens is somehow offset from the sensor? I have mine mounted in my back window perfectly level, but the image looks like it's pointing upward

Check to make sure your lens module is seated properly inside the case.
If the lens itself is truly "offset from the sensor", then a significant portion of the image would be out of focus.

I bought an M1 with a D lens and it was not offset or angled.

The cases for each lens type are not all exactly the same, with slightly different positions of internal ribs and cut-outs. If you replaced a previous lens module with the D lens you might need to trim the case for it to sit perfectly level. Or buy a new case.

Not angled but shifted in one direction. Imagine the image circle formed by the lens-- If the sensor is right in the middle, the horizon is centered on the video. But imagine the sensor is slightly offset... Then the horizon falls in the lower part of the video

Not angled but shifted in one direction. Imagine the image circle formed by the lens-- If the sensor is right in the middle, the horizon is centered on the video. But imagine the sensor is slightly offset... Then the horizon falls in the lower part of the video
I don't see how a circular lens within a fixed lens holder screwed to the sensor PCB can be offset. True, there's a little bit of play in the two screws, but I doubt it's enough to think the lens is aiming in a different direction. Seems more likely as @Dashmellow suggested that the module is not seated exactly 90deg to the case, if indeed your case is perfectly level.

I don't see how a circular lens within a fixed lens holder screwed to the sensor PCB can be offset. True, there's a little bit of play in the two screws, but I doubt it's enough to think the lens is aiming in a different direction. Seems more likely as @Dashmellow suggested that the module is not seated exactly 90deg to the case, if indeed your case is perfectly level.

Looks perfectly straight, that's why I was thinking it's the sensor position. I'm wondering if they're all like that and we just don't notice. I'll experiment with my other cameras

It sounds like you are simply describing the optical characteristics of this particular lens. The physical center of the camera sensor is not necessarily where a particular wide angle lens will render the horizon if the camera is leveled with the horizon.

Just aim the camera so the horizon is in the middle of the frame if that is where you want it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
USDashCamera Dash Cam Reviews 7
Back