Mobius Maxi F1.5 2.7k

PS did someone say Mobius Maxi can turn off the rear led? ONLY the rear led? Why not the BIG round on? Come on Mobius team, it is DESIGNED as a dashcam, no?
If it had no lights at all, it could be a bit disconcerting for new users. However now that it has a beep option, I suppose you could get by with no visual indicators. You would want audial or visual confirmation that it's working.

The Mobius Maxi contains an interesting routine regarding high bitrates and microSD card speed. As noted in the manual, "If the firmware detects that the card is too slow (class rating too low), it will decrease the recording speed and/or resolution and the parameter value will be overwritten." I'm not sure how common this is. I think my 4K cameras simply stop recording if the card cannot handle the user-specified bitrate.
THAT IS NEAT!!!
I have mixed view about this. On the one hand, you don't lose an important recording if your card is too slow. On the other, you need to check your recorded files to be sure that the camera is recording at the quality level you have chosen. If it simply stops and beeps at you, at least you know that something needs fixing.

The Mobius Maxi contains an interesting routine regarding high bitrates and microSD card speed. As noted in the manual, "If the firmware detects that the card is too slow (class rating too low), it will decrease the recording speed and/or resolution and the parameter value will be overwritten." I'm not sure how common this is. I think my 4K cameras simply stop recording if the card cannot handle the user-specified bitrate.

Can this feature be switched off? What defines "high-bit rates" for this purpose? If the feature can't be switched off, is the solution to just choose a lower bit rate?

Can this feature be switched off? What defines "high-bit rates" for this purpose? If the feature can't be switched off, is the solution to just choose a lower bit rate?
Yes, I think the solution is to choose a lower bit rate. It is not something that I tested, but found in the manual. I have conducted most of my testing at the highest bitrate available and have not noticed any intervention by the FW in regards to bitrate or resolution.

Yes, I think the solution is to choose a lower bit rate. It is not something that I tested, but found in the manual. I have conducted most of my testing at the highest bitrate available and have not noticed any intervention by the FW in regards to bitrate or resolution.

Thanks. Perhaps the bit rate doesn't matter as long as you've at least got a class 10 card installed?

Thanks. Perhaps the bit rate doesn't matter as long as you've at least got a class 10 card installed?
I'm using U1 and U3 cards. The extreme bitrate should be used with caution and may not be suitable for class 10 cards.

I'm using U1 and U3 cards. The extreme bitrate should be used with caution and may not be suitable for class 10 cards.

That makes sense. To my mind, excessive bit rates provide a diminishing degree of return for a camera like this anyway.

Rambling! Why can't they come out with some options that people want instead of just, Here it is, buy it! I would like a 12mm FL, f 1.4 lens with low to no distortion (willing to pay extra), some way to disable the Big circle light, this is a dash camera, not a light house beacon, maybe a polarizer lens you can remove or put on.
The idea is to let the buyer have some options as to what he wants, after all the manufacture, isn't going to make a dime if the customer doesn't want to buy.

Last edited:
I agree that it would be nice to have the ability to disable the circular LED indicator. Maybe that can happen in a later firmware update? A slide-on polarizer would be cool, something like one of those Mobius wide angle lens caps but with a polarizer built in.

Rambling! Why can't they come out with some options that people want instead of just, Here it is, buy it! I would like a 115 FL, f 1.4 lens with low to no distortion (willing to pay extra), some way to disable the Big circle light, this is a dash camera, not a light house beacon, maybe a polarizer lens you can remove or put on.
The idea is to let the buyer have some options as to what he wants, after all the manufacture, isn't going to make a dime if the customer doesn't want to buy.

A 115mm focal length lens would be pretty extreme. It certainly wouldn't function in a dash cam as the image would shake like it was in an earthquake and the FOV would be pretty tiny too. A lens like that would be pretty cool as a stationary super-telephoto on a very solid mount but ƒ/1.4 is not an aperture you would ever see on a telephoto lens like that, especially an M12. If it could be accomplished such a lens would cost thousands of dollars.

Last edited:
A 115mm focal length lens would be pretty extreme. It certainly wouldn't function in a dash cam as the image would shake like it was in an earthquake and the FOV would been pretty tiny too. A lens like that would be pretty cool as a stationary super-telephoto on a very solid mount but ƒ/1.4 is not an aperture you would ever see on a telephoto lens like that. If it could be accomplished such a lens would cost thousands of dollars.

LOL. Don't ask, some times I get things crossed up! I corrected it, works better with a 12mm FL and f1.4 aperture, however their are no really good lens like that. That's why I bought 2 of the variable power lenses you are working with. However having a rough time finding any 9.5mm cut IR filters on AliExpress.

LOL. Don't ask, some times I get things crossed up! I corrected it, works better with a 12mm FL and f1.4 aperture, however their are no really good lens like that. That's why I bought 2 of the variable power lenses you are working with. However having a rough time finding any 9.5mm cut IR filters on AliExpress.

Hah!. Don't worry. My ham-fisted typing causes me to do similar things all the time! :shame:

You can buy 9.5mm IR-cut filters on eBay.

If you are willing to wait for them you can buy them dirt cheap - 2 for $2.11 with free shipping. (or less if you do some searching)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191870684303
IR-cut filters used to be almost impossible to find on eBay but now they are widely available, mostly direct from China.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=9.5mm+IR-cut+filter&_sacat=0

..135 is more my size, but we need good night recording and a fast lens for sharpest license plates.....

So 150 then, luckily we can do 2.7K
At 1080p60 you can choose narrow FOV rather than wide FOV. That uses a direct crop of 1920x1080 from the centre of the sensor. The result is narrower than 135 degree equivalent, but might suit you?

I've tried 1080p60 a few times but keep going back to 2.7k 30fps which seems to perform better.

At 1080p60 you can choose narrow FOV rather than wide FOV. That uses a direct crop of 1920x1080 from the centre of the sensor. The result is narrower than 135 degree equivalent, but might suit you?

I've tried 1080p60 a few times but keep going back to 2.7k 30fps which seems to perform better.

What do you like better about the 2.7k setting?

My 9 year old computer has a 1600 x 900 resolution. Does the maxi have a setting that would work best for this resolution?
I assume 2.7k would not work without a new graphics card.

My 9 year old computer has a 1600 x 900 resolution. Does the maxi have a setting that would work best for this resolution?

You'd likely need a more up-to-date CPU as well. And forget 60 fps. Time for a new computer maybe?

720p would be easiest on your PC, if it has a decent graphics card it would probably scale a larger image down without too much fuss, 1080p30 is probably as high as you could reasonably expect most 9 year old computers to deal with without choking

Time for a new computer maybe

Indeed ;)
Updating your phone every year are stupid, but building a new killer computer every 4 - 5 years,,,, thats a must.

You'd likely need a more up-to-date CPU as well. And forget 60 fps. Time for a new computer maybe?
I was given this computer when it was 5 years old just 4 years ago. I still have my xp machine running.

I am not into serious gaming so I see no need to upgrade the computer just yet

I was given this computer when it was 5 years old just 4 years ago. I still have my xp machine running.

I am not into serious gaming so I see no need to upgrade the computer just yet

Well, allegedly you're into dash cams but it's still not 100% clear that you own one yet after four years of hanging around this web site. But anyway, XP hasn't even been supported since four years ago so for security reasons that alone might be reason to update. ;)

Last edited:
Back