Mobius Maxi F1.5 2.7k

I'm not familiar with the mini, not a model I've looked at, I think this is more closely related to previous models though (excluding the M2) and a lot of that does translate, if anything I'd say this is probably what the M2 should have been
Maxi has similar sensor and processor to the Mini. Maxi FW is similar to Mini FW.
Maxi has similar physical structure & lens size (M12) to M1

Maxi has similar sensor and processor to the Mini. Maxi FW is similar to Mini FW.
Maxi has similar physical structure & lens size (M12) to M1

I can see where building upon a successful platform would help things along but what would the M12 lens or the similarity in size to the M1 have to do with whether the Maxi has a better chance of success than the M2 which also shared those attributes?

Extreme 2.7k = 60Mbps

60 is pretty low for Motion JPEG encoding of 2.7k30 video stream which is ~260kBytes of data for each frame (equals to ~60% JPEG compression).

I can see where building upon a successful platform would help things along but what would the M12 lens or the similarity in size to the M1 have to do with whether the Maxi has a better chance of success than the M2 which also shared those attributes?
I was responding to Jokiin's statement "I'm not familiar with the mini, not a model I've looked at, I think this (Maxi) is more closely related to previous models though".
The physical size, mounting cradle, M12 lens etc. are similar to the M1
However the sensor, DSP and FW are more closely related to the Mini

The Mini has proven itself to be a popular choice for RC video, and does not suffer from the high noise levels observed with the M2. However a number of aspects made it unsuitable for dashcam use, largely that it gets very hot during continuous recording in the absence of a cooling airflow (e.g. stuck to a model plane)

The Maxi has a similar sensor and DSP to the Mini, but adds a faster lens and brings some M1 features such as a larger heatsink, a larger battery, capacitor option, and uses M12 lenses which gives us more third party lens options.

The Mini has a 300mah battery that lasts for about 30min. I did a battery bench test (no motion) with the Maxi and achieved 2hrs 40min at 2.7k resolution, so it's a rather efficient design.

Here's another night video sample from the Maxi, plus a comparison to an IMX291 camera for an indication of relative performance.
Audio removed for privacy reasons.

Maxi 2.7k 30fps 60Mbps
IMX291 1080p30 16Mbps

Comparison video frames:

IMX291 is generally a bit brighter, but Maxi has less motion blur
Maxi Night vs IMX291_1.jpg

Multi-spot metering on Maxi reacts to headlight reflections on cars up close by darkening the whole scene - hopefully this can be improved through FW development
Maxi Night vs IMX291_2.jpg

Flickering LED light source inside the bollard has 6No flashes within single frame in IMX291 video, compared to 4No in Maxi video
Maxi Night vs IMX291_3.jpg

IMX291 has better peripheral illumination. Maxi preserves more road sign details and roadside texture.
Maxi Night vs IMX291_4.jpg

Last edited:
Multi-spot metering on Maxi reacts to headlight reflections on cars up close by darkening the whole scene - hopefully this can be improved through FW development
I think it works like it should as it helps to avoid highlights clipping with important details loss when the front car's license plate reflects much light and looks too bright.

I think it works like it should as it helps to avoid highlights clipping with important details loss when the front car's license plate reflects much light and looks too bright.
Agreed. But I don't think it needs to react quite so much.

- would it be possible to have a pic of the inner board?
- is the flat cable connecting the sensor = to the mini? (would it be possible to swap m12 Maxi lens module on the mini)?

I'll take some internal and external photos tonight.

I don't have a Mini, but looking at photos of the ribbon cable connector they are not the same. The Maxi connectors look very similar to the M1 & M2 with a white socket and black clamping bar.

(would it be possible to swap m12 Maxi lens module on the mini)?

I don't have a Mini, but looking at photos of the ribbon cable connector they are not the same. The Maxi connectors look very similar to the M1 & M2 with a white socket and black clamping bar.

I don't own a Mobius Mini and have never had the opportunity to examine one but from outward appearances I do not believe that the Mini uses the standard M12 lenses that we are all familiar with from dash cams, action cams and many CCTV cameras. Off hand, I'd make a guess that it uses the smaller format M7 size lens mount.

The term "M12 lens", more technically referred to as "M12 x.05" means that the lens barrel has a diameter of 12mm and a thread pitch of .05mm. M9 lenses have a barrel diameter of 9mm and a thread pitch of .05mm. M8 lenses also have a .05mm thread pitch. M7 lenses have a barrel diameter of 7mm and a thread pitch of .35mm.

So, I don't know what lens is actually used in the Mobius Mini but comparing a Mobius 1 and a Mobius Mini side by side we can see the dramatic difference in the lens sizes so the module and ribbon cable size would likely correspond.

mobius.jpg

Last edited:
I don't own a Mobius Mini and have never had the opportunity to examine one but from outward appearances I do not believe that the Mini uses the standard M12 lenses that we are all familiar with from dash cams, action cams and many CCTV cameras. Off hand, I'd make a guess that it uses the smaller format M7 size lens mount.

The term "M12 lens", more technically referred to as "M12 x.05" means that the lens barrel has a diameter of 12mm and a thread pitch of .05mm. M9 lenses have a barrel diameter of 9mm and a thread pitch of .05mm. M8 lenses also have a .05mm thread pitch. M7 lenses have a barrel diameter of 7mm and a thread pitch of .35mm.

So, I don't know what lens is actually used in the Mobius Mini but comparing a Mobius 1 and a Mobius Mini side by side we can see the dramatic difference in the lens sizes.

Mini uses M9 lenses. The ribbon cable has a snap-in connector to the PCB and lens module.

This is an extract from the Mobius Mini page at RCG:

1527171753044.png
1527171853412.png

Mini uses M9 lenses. The ribbon cable has a snap-in connector to the PCB and lens module.

This is an extract from the Mobius Mini page at RCG:

View attachment 38427
View attachment 38428

Thanks for the info. Like you apparently just did, I probably should have looked at the RCGroups thread to see if that info was on there. My first guess was that is was an M9 lens but the comparison photo of the two cameras convinced me it was even smaller. Either way, the question of whether Mobius M12 modules or ribbon cables are swap-able with the Mini has been answered.

Ever since I had the opportunity to see a photo of the new Maxi some months ago I've been sort of amused and perhaps a bit freaked out by the obvious coffin iconography embedded in the design. It's kind of a Goth action camera look I guess. Hope it's not a bad omen.....:vamp::smuggrin:

caskets.jpg

Last edited:
That shape on the camera also made me think of the portal game for some reason ( never played those )

Really would like to see the inside of the new camera.

Back