Mobius Time-Lapse Video & Torrance Rose Float

BobDiaz

Reaction score
Country
United States
At the end of each year I help photograph the Torrance Rose Float Decorating for the Rose Parade. In addition I make a Time-Lapse Video of the third day of decorating. Shooting the Bus driving from Torrance to Fiesta Floats was made easy using the Mobius Time-Lapse feature.

This was shot at 4 Frames per second, a 7.5x speed increase. To make the 6:34 video fit the 3:18 music, I sped up the video in the editor by 1.98 times. This made the video act like 2.02 frames per second or a speed increase of 14.8 times. In addition to speeding up the video, I ran the source footage through an image stabilization program to smooth out the bumps. This resulted in a slight crop of the video, so the date/time stamp is no longer in view. The video started at 1920x108/30P, but because of the image crop, I put the final result into a 1280x720 video to maintain the sharpness.

The finished video of the decorating is below. Only a small part of it is the bus ride.

Sincerely,

Bob Diaz

@bob Diaz: Your DashCam output sure puts my first ever effort to shame. I used the Mobius' video timelapse (2 seconds) and then used MovAvi to screen at 10% of the output speed. That way, I got a small output file from the Mobius (I am running a 64Gb micro SD card) and then could stream the MovAvi output file at a speed people could make out.

Last edited:
Every year my wife and I drive up to Idaho to see family up there. It's about 1,100 mile (1,770kM) drive that take 22 hours over 2 days. It's tempting to generate a timelapse video of the drive that compresses it to just a few minutes. There's so much driving I'm not sure if I could make the video viewable.

Yes Bob, I know what you mean. I plan to use this on much shorter car club events. I was leading one a month ago and that is when I should have mounted the Mobius facing to the rear and making a timelapse video of the trip. That one was only a few hours and the perfect trip. My petrol-head friends would have been very interested.
Enjoy!
Stewart

Back