Motion detection on sg9665gc v2

Dogan72

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello I have the street guardian sg9665gc v2 bought. I am actually very satisfied with the camera. But I have not managed to bring the motion detection. How does it work? Would like to use it as park monitoring. Can someone please help me and give tips.
Thanks

we are doing some further adjustment to motion detect now, we have some further work to do on that before we will release an update

It's not good to power the camera 24/7
(A bit punishing on the hardware)

I would get a Vico Power-Plus and use the timer function or on demand constant/BAT mode as you need it once in awhile while out shopping etc.

Having said that it's better to leave it recording constantly in the above modes since all novatek based systems have a hard start/stop or pause resume motion detection system. (Some new ideas are in the works however)

That's a worry - please can you explain what this means? Does it mean the hardware will fail early? Does the performance/video quality reduce? Would that invalidate warranty?

I leave mine on all the time as I use it as a security camera when I'm not at the car.

Once you get motion detection working (I assume that's the same as parking mode) will that alleviate your concern about the hardware being on 24x7?

Thanks!
Cheers
...Steve

I would get a Vico Power-Plus and use the timer function or on demand constant/BAT mode as you need it once in awhile while out shopping etc.

Having said that it's better to leave it recording constantly in the above modes since all novatek based systems have a hard start/stop or pause resume motion detection system. (Some new ideas are in the works however)
it's not good to power any camera 24/7, doesn't do your car any favors either
So when I finish the ride and the recording of the ride stops as I can activate the motion detection? I have to leave the camera simply in the standby? Is it then active and recording? When I then with the hands in front of the camera back and forth swings then but the recording does not activate.

it's not good to power any camera 24/7, doesn't do your car any favors either
Thanks Jokiin.
My car is usually on a charger when at home, and an 8 hour timer (PowerMagic) when not so the car battery isn't generally compromised.

What's 'not good' and 'punishing to the hardware' (eg what 'damage' or negative consequences) with leaving the camera on 24x7?
Thanks!
Cheers
...Steve

I run my camera currently in the car with a power bank 13600 mah.ie has 2 usb connections with 2.1A. Is it dangerous to operate the camera at the port? Because the original cigarette lighter connector has a 1 A connection. I have the original cable not connected because I would like to order the vico vation vico power plus.and as long as I want to operate it with the powerbank.

Last edited:
Thanks Jokiin.
My car is usually on a charger when at home, and an 8 hour timer (PowerMagic) when not so the car battery isn't generally compromised.

regular lead acid car batteries were never intended to have a parasitic drain for hours at a time, even if you are recharging it the constant charge/discharge cycles will have an impact on battery life

regular lead acid car batteries were never intended to have a parasitic drain for hours at a time, even if you are recharging it the constant charge/discharge cycles will have an impact on battery life
Fair enough. I'll look into getting a power bank. Thanks Jokiin.

we are doing some further adjustment to motion detect now, we have some further work to do on that before we will release an update
Hi @jokiin ,
Just wondering whether you are developing the motion detection function to automatically start when the car is stopped for a period of time (eg parking mode)? Having it on all the time doesn't seem to be sensible.
Cheers
...Steve

get one of them timers for it. I have built my own, cant remember the name but you can get them here readily available.

Hi @jokiin ,
Just wondering whether you are developing the motion detection function to automatically start when the car is stopped for a period of time (eg parking mode)? Having it on all the time doesn't seem to be sensible.
Cheers
...Steve

something we're looking at doing in an upcoming model as it has a deep sleep function, not sure if we can do the same on this model, we are already doing some work on motion detect in the current betas to improve the way it works, it's not good enough right now

get one of them timers for it. I have built my own, cant remember the name but you can get them here readily available.
I mean so that it works as a normal cam when moving and when the car is stationary for, say, 5 mins it drops to motion detect mode (like the Blackvue's).

something we're looking at doing in an upcoming model as it has a deep sleep function, not sure if we can do the same on this model, we are already doing some work on motion detect in the current betas to improve the way it works, it's not good enough right now
Ok thanks. I'll just leave it turned off for now. Having it work the same way as BlackVue would suit my purposes as it runs as a security camera when parked in my driveway:-)

Ok thanks. I'll just leave it turned off for now. Having it work the same way as BlackVue would suit my purposes as it runs as a security camera when parked in my driveway:)

they're not really intended for surveillance, Blackvue run very low bitrate to try and avoid heat issues, that means less detail when driving but a bit more forgiving when parked, our bitrate is higher which gives more detail but it's not ideal for use when parked, particularly in the warmer months where we can see in car temps 35°c to 40°c above ambient temps, particularly if parked in full sun, you can end up running the camera at temps beyond the stable operating temps, adding something like a Vico Power Plus is often a good idea as aside from the usual timer and low bat cutoff they also have temp controlled cutoff, something to consider

Last edited:
When will there be a new firmware?

New beta firmware is out pretty often, but i think there is also a new official firmware on the horizon soon.

There should be no problems in using the SG9665GC beta firmwares, the camera should be just as stable and you will have the new base settings and options to play with.

The first post in this thread should link to the latest beta firmeare.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gc-firmware-updates-and-pre-release-access.16310/

But in regard to motion detect then there is no news in the latest beta firmware, but i think the next one will have some news in that regard.

Back