Mounting A DashCam Directly To The Dashboard

Rambo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys. Found the site through Wirecutter and thought I'd see if I could get some help on this issue that I'm running in to. I have a issue with my car where I think something is wrong with the suspension and I want to get a cam to mount to the dashboard to see if I can get the video to portray the rough drive. I don't know if a standard mount from the top of the windshield would capture the driving conditions the same way that something closer to the steering wheel would. I'd prefer the mount to be temporary, as I'd obviously be better off not damaging the interior. I notice that all of the units come with some sort of adhesive, but that they're made to be mounted upside down from the top of the windshield. Could I get one of these things to do what I need?

Maybe you can strap it down with mini-bungees? For this purpose I'd want it as solidly mounted as possible. My G1Wc is dash-mounted in my workvan which has a stiff suspension and ride but the cam doesn't seem to show how rough the ride is. You might get different results so give it a try and let us know your results.

Phil

I vote magnets, requires some work but result is steady and camera is easy to remove.

Maybe you can strap it down with mini-bungees? For this purpose I'd want it as solidly mounted as possible. My G1Wc is dash-mounted in my workvan which has a stiff suspension and ride but the cam doesn't seem to show how rough the ride is. You might get different results so give it a try and let us know your results.

Phil
Not sure how I'd bungee around the dashboard. Interesting that you don't get any results. Its kind of a long shot idea, but I don't really have any way of proving my case that there's something wrong with my car's ride. They say everything is ok. Bunch of bastards.

How the hell would I set that up?
Basically attach sheet metal plate to dashboard as a permanent base, use double sided tape or velcro, then put magnets to camera or camera base, hard to say where because i don't know what kind of camera you have. Neodym magnets are very strong, they can hold very heavy objects.
Here is sample image from my mobius, it's actually upside down hanging on the roof as a rear camera, you cant see magnets, there is three of them underneath.

Attachments

• Dsc05498.jpg
    Dsc05498.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 20
The bungee could go from a defroster vent to wherever- a pair of them in a "X" shape might work. It's mainly about being creative and finding a way to get what you're wanting when the path isn't obvious.

I really doubt that many (if any) people would screw a piece of wood to their dash the way I did in my old van. I've got to find a bumper sticker which says "WHAT resale value?" for mine :rolleyes:

Phil

How about Blu-Tack?

I agree with the Blu-Tack idea. A good sized wad of the stuff works extremely well for a secure temporary install that will remove easily and leave no trace. Over the years I've done this a number of times including and especially with my first "dash cam" years ago which was a Panasonic mini-DV camcorder. Also used Blu-tack for dashboard mounting a camera in a rental vehicle. I live on a dirt road that can be quite bumpy at times so I know that if this method is properly and carefully applied, it will stay put.

Alright, bluetac it is.

Any suggestions on which of the budget models would be good for this task? Recording ability seems to be fairly consistent amongst the G1W , A118, and other cheap models. I live in Florida, so it would probably get pretty hot in the car. I suppose size of build would be a factor if I'm trying to stick it to the dash. The A118's elongated shape might not work too well for this.

Any suggestions on which of the budget models would be good for this task?
If you want something low try a Mobius or you could get a G1W and install one of the firmwares that allow you to flip the image (DOD firmware from thread) while it is mounted upside down to your dash

Eh, I'm not really too concerned about the size. I was just thinking with the A118, it having to be pointed forward the tail might be extended off the dash. Could be annoying.

I suppose size of build would be a factor if I'm trying to stick it to the dash. The A118's elongated shape might not work too well for this.

shape isn't the issue, picture being upside down might not be too appealing though

That's where a Mobius might come in handy with its ability to rotate the image 180 degrees.

I took the liberty of borrowing this photo from a post by @BobDiaz of his dashboard mounted Mobius (with heat sink)

Something like this would work well for this purpose.

Mobius-dash-mount.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that's almost exactly what I want. What is that thing?

How the hell would I set that up?

Or a pice of sheet metal on the back side of your dashbord, and a strong neodynium magnet on the camera mount, might allso be a good idea to add a little high friction material ( rubber or somthing ) between magnet and dashbord, to make sure you dont scratch anything and increase friction so mount wont slide around.

I assume dashbords are not so thick a neudynium magnet cant grip thru that, the ones i use is 10 mm high, round and about 18 mm in diameter, 2 of those are a nightmare to get apart, and 1 have no problem holding on to my mobius in the rear.

I use kinda the same on my rear camera, just have metal strip taped to dashcam, and magnet on metal frame around my rear window.

Last edited:
Back