Mounting the A119 or A119 GPs mount - what NOT to do...

Boogieman

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
That I did, at least nr 1 :)

Do NOT mount it:
1. On an area that is not cleaned by the wiper blades
or you will have a pretty crappy image, especially when raining or after using the washer fluid pump.

2. In an area that obstructs your visibility forward..
Or the car might get stopped when doing the yearly motor vehicle inspection (MOT?) and of course you increase the risk of an accident

3. Without properly cleaning the wind shield with isopropanol (or ethanol) allowing to dry competely.
If you clean it and mount be aware it wont come off EASY, so make sure you get it right the first try!

I found the perfect spot (so i thought), not covering sight and getting entire width of car and mounted it. Went up, thinking a bit, having dinner for an hour and then it hit me, did i check the wiper blade coverage...NOOOOO
Ran down hoping it was not to late. Hmmm it was...kindoff.
Hade to pry in plastic wedges on both sides while turning and lifting and then keep a strong pull on one side to allow the adhesive slowly, 1 square mm at a time, loose grip (took about 5minutes of constant pull and my fingers were sooo tired). Think it took me an hour total figuring out how tonget it off while not cutting away adhesive and still the adhesive tape was a total mess, but I have now tried to fix it again on another spot (not as good spot visibility wise) that is cleaned by the wiper blades. Even tried 1 more positions on the way there, but bond still seemed fairly ok but it "wiggled" a bit more as the tape was uneven (it forms som kind if rubbery paste as it bonds that gunks up if you push ot hard).

Worst case scenario, i have to remove it again and change tape, but i got a spare piece in the kit.

Also got 4 pieces of foam to make the a119 sit tight on gps mount, took me a while to figure out how to turn the foam to get it right, but that made a huge difference in stability. Now it can't rattle at all :)
The foam goes on the A119 unit, not the GPS and it will cover the vent holes slightly. Focus on the thin strip thst goes next to the metal contacts.

You can save your self a lot of trouble by watching BCHobbyist's video on YouTube

Time to fit some longer wiper blades ;)
True, I checked if that was possible first, but wouldnt even be close. On my Type R the blades go "against each other" so the short passenger blade will crash with the other one if i extend it more than 5cm...and i was missing about 20cm :cry:
In the end i had to chose "non wiped screen" placing it on right side
or
loss of coverage on right side due to a bump from the rain sensor.
So, I thought rather 75% clear image than 100% blur :)

You can save your self a lot of trouble by watching BCHobbyist's video on YouTube
Funny thing, I did (or read about it in the manual, i dont remember), but when I was about to mount, i forgot it :wacky:

Back