my boy scout good deed moment helping motorcycle guy lol

Good job.
BTW, people should ride bikes they can easily raise when it's on its side like that.
What's the point of riding a heavy bike that you need someone else's help just to raise it up.

Thx man. Can you guys tell what happened? I'm guessing he wasn't paying attention and applied the brakes at the last minute?

Nice :cool:

But yeah, old guy need a more nimble hog, and pay more attention and not weave back and forth in the lane.

If you look, you can see that he got on the rear brake and locked up the rear wheel. That's why the rear of the MC skidded to the left.

He obviously need to practice panic stops using both brakes.

RodeoGeorge

Apparently part of the motorcycle driving test in Texas is to make sure you can pick up your own bike. You have to lay it down on padding or grass or something (help is allowed here to prevent damage) then pick it up entirely by yourself. If you can't do it you fail.

Apparently part of the motorcycle driving test in Texas is to make sure you can pick up your own bike. You have to lay it down on padding or grass or something (help is allowed here to prevent damage) then pick it up entirely by yourself. If you can't do it you fail.

amazing how many people don't even know how to correctly pickup a bike

I was once honored to meet and talk with "The Motorcycling Grandma" Gloria Struck, who rode her full-size Harley tourer all over the US solo. She wasn't a large woman but she could pick it up all by herself. I learned that when I commented on the crash bars (leg protectors for the Brits) which were oddly heart-shaped on her ShovelHead. Some friends had designed those for her so that by rocking the bike up and down on them she could eventually raise it. They tested them on a used bike and she said on the 3rd 'rock' she had lifted it easily, but that was years before and she didn't feel like trying it again :p I think she was in her mid-60's then. From what I see online she's still riding at 90 :cool:

Phil

I hope I'm riding when I reach his age.
'Cause I sure haven't got the time or money right now. :(

I would love to get my MC license, and then buy a Danish Nimbus and than take it on tour in the states for a half year.

The Nimbus is also manageable for a older gentleman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_(motorcycle)

EDIT: will prefer to be able to not bring the MC back home, should be donated to something that can make good with it.

Last edited:
Back in 91 I rode my Norton coast-to-coast and back. Half of one very large saddlebag was spare parts and I used them all, plus I had to buy a tube, brake disc and battery enroute. There were no sources for parts across the entire Great Plains and that's the only place she didn't break anything. Not sure my back could take it now but if I get $25K to spare I'll rebuild her and go for a lap around the edges of America :cool: And she'll have a bigger fuel tank this time 'round- I did that one with a 2.2 gallon tank :p

But unless I move far from here there's no way I'd ride daily anymore. Too many homicidal idiots on the road now :(

Phil

The Nimbus is like a model A Ford, don't take much to keep it running.
Some guy touring Scotland on one way back in the 80 or 90ties drove most of the trip on minus 1 cylinder.

I would stay well clear of US highways with only 22 BHP :)

I had to use the Interstates about 2/3 of that trip for time and money reasons, but traveling the old 2-lane back-country highways was wonderful. You got to meet real local people and eat real food. And almost everywhere I stopped for very long somebody came up and mentioned that they had a British bike once themselves. The US is entirely different (and usually a lot better) away from the Interstate highways. Kamkar, if you ever get your Nimbus and yourself over here, I'll join you on the journey even if I have to borrow a bike :cool: My leather jacket is old and battered like me, but it and my helmet still fit and I can show you where the real America is :D

Phil

amazing how many people don't even know how to correctly pickup a bike
Yeah, he was doing it wrong. It's very difficult to put a motorcycle back up by the handlebars, even a lighter one, not least because one's body isn't in the best position to apply all the force needed. It should always be with one hand in the handlebars and the other anywhere in the frame near the seat, when possible.

That HD wasn't even completely down, it was only at a 45º angle, and the guy couldn't pick it up by himself. Either he's somewhat unexperienced or he should no longer be riding

It should always be with one hand in the handlebars and the other anywhere in the frame near the seat, when possible.

Protip: If there's a passenger seat there are usually passenger sidegrips.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Protip: If there's a passenger seat there are usually passenger sidegrips.
I didn't mention them because they're usually too far back. The best place to apply lifting force is between the axles, so any place nearer the engine is always better.

Yeah, he was doing it wrong. It's very difficult to put a motorcycle back up by the handlebars, even a lighter one, not least because one's body isn't in the best position to apply all the force needed. It should always be with one hand in the handlebars and the other anywhere in the frame near the seat, when possible.

That HD wasn't even completely down, it was only at a 45º angle, and the guy couldn't pick it up by himself. Either he's somewhat unexperienced or he should no longer be riding

not the easiest to describe but easiest way is with your back to the bike, bum into the tank or seat as appropriate, crouched down, one hand out to the front, one to the back of the bike, back straight and push with your legs and stand up, average person can lift a bike 3 times their own weight easily like this

here you go, as with everything these days there's a how-to video on YouTube

FAIL! :p What if the bike is laying on the other side? They don't have a sidestand on the right! :rolleyes: Most people would probably dump the bike on the other side if they try to lift it up as shown in the video.:D
You can control the balance much better once the bike is upright, if you're facing it.

FAIL! :p What if the bike is laying on the other side? They don't have a sidestand on the right! :rolleyes: Most people would probably dump the bike on the other side if they try to lift it up as shown in the video.:D
You can control the balance much better once the bike is upright, if you're facing it.
I'm not sure I would flip it over to the side stand as shown, was just highlighting the actual lifting process, once you lift it to the balance point you can easily turn around, I worked in a motorcycle wrecking yard when I was a kid and even in my early teens could lift 1000cc bikes like this quite easily

Back