My Car's ghostride on dashcam!

Bluemonster555

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Cobra CDR 840

Had not run defroster yet, so a little hazy. Cobra 840. Car is fine!

Ungrateful bastard of a car :D

Tried to get away! Running tight on time and remembered I needed to put some air in tire with a slow leak. Came around corner with compressor in hand and car is gone. That explained the crash I heard. Nice to have that big oak tree in front of me for the hand winch/ come-along!

It's good it did not happened in the city with heavy traffic. I had once similar case where my VW Passat "electronic hand brake" failed while car was parked and car started moving down the city street. Luckily some people were able to stop it when it just started moving. Since then I try to double-protect myself while parked with handbrake plus 1st gear engaged just to be on the safe side.

Many years ago I lived in a house with a group of college friends. The house was along a road at the top of a steep hill and one night a VW bug belonging to one of the girls in the house popped out of gear and started to roll down the hill until it got going really fast, at which point it smashed into a Saab parked at the bottom of the hill. We all ran down to see what happened after we heard the crash and both cars were really pretty badly banged up. Suddenly the cops showed up and the first thing they asked was, "Who was driving?", and we all started laughing. Of course, the cops didn't think that was too funny and started giving us a hard time because at first they didn't believe us but when we told them what actually happened they investigated a little further and finally they had to admit that this was the first time they'd ever encountered a car accident between two vehicles where nobody was driving either car and they ended up with smiles on their faces too! :p

Last edited:
I try to double-protect myself while parked with handbrake plus 1st gear engaged just to be on the safe side.
I sometimes consider doing that, but then I have to worry about remembering to take it out of gear before starting the engine.
I always check anyway, but the day I start doing things differently is bound to be the day I forget!

I sometimes consider doing that, but then I have to worry about remembering to take it out of gear before starting the engine.
I always check anyway, but the day I start doing things differently is bound to be the day I forget!

We usually start "suddenly" remembering and practising all good and useful advices only after something almost bad happens.

Yep, was out of my routine. For some reason I was in neutral with the auto trans car, and barely engaged the e-brake. Engine running through the whole thing. Isuzu 2 WD Rodeo Sport. Lucky it was an open space, and lucky it did not roll over. Somehow it takes that 90 degree turn at the end, it would have gone straight into a small pond.

Don't you have to put in the clutch before it will even crank? My manual trans vehicles won't do anything if you turn the key to start unless you have the clutch fully depressed.

Don't you have to put in the clutch before it will even crank?
Not if it's in neutral.
If it's in gear - I don't know. I wasn't given the handbook and it's not the kind of thing I'm going to test.

Not if it's in neutral.
If it's in gear - I don't know. I wasn't given the handbook and it's not the kind of thing I'm going to test.
Then it'll probably start moving if you crank it in gear. That's what I had to do when the clutch hydraulics went out on my Miata, and once I got moving, tried to avoid stopping at all costs... Shifting in motion without the clutch is easy thanks to synchros, but starting from a stop without a clutch.... Not so much.

when I was a teenager living with my parents I had an old mini, the hand break wasn’t all that good, in fact just about good enough for the MOT test and thats about it, as my parents drive was on a slope leading to the footpath/road I got used to leaving the car in first gear stopping it rolling down to the road

after all these years I still leave my car in gear when parking. now a few years back, my wife and I went on holiday with my brother and his wife. for the duration of the holiday we had a rental, and as I don’t drink alcohol I was the one who drove the car for the first 5 or 6 days, then one morning I had my brother wake me up saying there was something wrong with the car as it wouldn’t start.

I got in and turned the key and it started first time, I didn’t know what my brother was on about, I started walking off and my brother calls me back saying the bloody car won’t start, I get in and sure enough it starts, he gets in and it won’t, we discovered, the car won’t start unless the clutch peddle is pressed down, now for me it was second nature as I was used to leaving the car in gear so always had my foot on the clutch before turning the key, not so for my brother so the car wouldn’t start, this was on a Fiat SUV, not sure if they or others still have this feature, sure was funny at the time seeing my brother trying to start the car

Sounds like your brother is an American ;) Very few people drives manual in North America so often people here don't know how to drive stick shift. Even car thieves had to abandon their attempt when they find out they can't get the car going at all.

Sounds like your brother is an American Very few people drives manual in North America so often people here don't know how to drive stick shift. Even car thieves had to abandon their attempt when they find out they can't get the car going at all.
As I've posted before:

6e410cb5b62137f0674790716362dd43.jpg

As I've posted before:

6e410cb5b62137f0674790716362dd43.jpg

True story here. My brother used to work at the GM test track in Michigan. On one occasion they had a competitor's car in for testing (Jaguar maybe?) that in addition to the normal accelerator, brake and clutch pedals also had a foot rest on the extreme left that looked like an additional pedal. He claimed that almost all the valets at the site refused to drive it. :eek:

hehe old land rovers do pack a lot of levers, can get confusing if you are not a gearhead, and then it still trow some ppl off.
First LR i worked on was a series 1 80", my friend got it for 6000 DKKr.

I once had to drive a ww2 truck, with a unsynced gearbox, and that double clutching dident pan out for me, so i drove it the 200 M to the ferry in #2 gear.

Later same day i got life into a old police hayabusa motorcycle, i think its safe to say i never moved 200 M so fast, so thank god it was the last run and there was plenty of time for several runs on the harbour.
When i finally got onto the ferry i was crying like a girl, cuz i dident have any helmet, and this was in October or November so i was allso freezing my ass off, would maybe only have been my cheeks and hands freezing if the damm thing had a seat on it :D

Good thing you live out in the boonies and no neighbors saw :D

Once I needed to move a 1940-something truck and in addition to manual, it also had 2 levers that needed to be controlled just to start it. One for manual choke, and I can't remember the other.

If I still had access to that truck, I would love to drive it somewhere that has valet parking, then toss the key to that guy and run like I was late for something, and watch secretly as a bunch of valets scratches their head over old and complicated looking system because they can't even start it.

Back