My new mini0806 question and problem

Hard to say, a lot I've seen have said it won't even power up via the mount, that won't be related to the battery, hopefully they sort whatever it is before the production that's happening now is done, gets expensive if you have too many out there not working

The PCB is different compared to 0805 as you saw in my video, maybe they made some other circuits or using some other electronics and something there is not giving what is expected.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hard to say, a lot I've seen have said it won't even power up via the mount, that won't be related to the battery, hopefully they sort whatever it is before the production that's happening now is done, gets expensive if you have too many out there not working
Techmoan posted he has no confidence at the moment and that alone is going to lose a few sales.

A massive shame after all the work that's gone into it but maybe one marketing way around it is fix the problem ASAP and launch it as a v2 or B or something?

I don't think is needed a V2 name because first batch was only 500pcs as jokiin said.
If the GPS will work even after 4 minutes is better than not working at all.

Rayman should send also the final product to the same betatesters or at least to the most active, before selling them. But this could cost him about 2 weeks delay in releasing the product if no problems and more days if problems found. Nigel offered a great support for 0806 testings.

enjoy,
Mtz

But do you think can be a battery problem? I see is not replaceable and looks soldered to the + part. Maybe the heat from soldering can destroy the battery?

enjoy,
Mtz
I guess it is a small super capacitor, just to keep the memory intact and I guess keep the time so that the satellite positions can be calculated when it next gets power. There is no need for it to last more than a couple of weeks since the data will be out of date by then anyway.

I think most people use the underscore character instead.

GPS icon looks like a satellite dish pointing at the sky.

Check that the camera is fully on the mount - there should be no gap left.

Some people have reported that the first time it is connected, the mount should be powered on before the camera is inserted.

The camera should fully work when powered via the camera power connecter, it just looks less tidy and makes it inconvenient to remove from the mount.

There do seem to be some problems with this first small batch of cameras and mounts, they seem to be mostly connected with improvements made since the prototypes. I'm sure they will get sorted, hopefully before the second batch arrives. The prototypes have proved reliable, it is worth persevering.

I don't have the gps icon. The gps isnt working and the two micro usb ports aren't working.

I guess it is a small super capacitor, just to keep the memory intact and I guess keep the time so that the satellite positions can be calculated when it next gets power. There is no need for it to last more than a couple of weeks since the data will be out of date by then anyway.

Not how it works, Almanac data is valid for 6 months, Ephemeris data is valid for 4 hours, the battery is to allow it to hold memory for both these and for warm start purposes, the battery should be good for a few years, if the battery fails that start times will be very slow but that shouldn't have any impact on the camera even seeing that the GPS is connected, something else at play here

Reactions: Mtz
I'll add my 0806 to the gps issue list. I've been commenting in the firmware thread but this is more on point so...

I picked up my 0806 about 1 week ago and I've had spotty gps operation with it. It worked this first night then didn't work the next day. When it did work it would take 3 or more minutes to get a fix even if it had only just been turned off. And, for a couple minutes after getting a fix the gps data would be off by upwards of 3+ miles.

I left for a trip yesterday and the gps isn't working at all two days running. Over 8 hours of driving today with zero gps data and no gps log files.

Looks to me that the quality control is dreadful. I'll be returning mine when I return from this trip.

Brian

Another disappointed 0806 user here - there are hardware problems with the GPS mount and the USB connections, boot loop issues where the 0806 fails to complete the power up sequence, issues with the non-functional GPS receiver and the image quality is not up to my expectations. I'm returning this garbage to the vendor and spending my money on another vendors dashcam.

And here are some statistics for the manufacturer to try to understand:

96% of unhappy customers don’t complain, however 91% of those will simply leave and never come back – 1Financial Training services.

A dissatisfied customer will tell between 9-15 people about their experience. Around 13% of dissatisfied customers tell more than 20 people. – White House Office of Consumer Affairs.

It takes 12 positive experiences to make up for one unresolved negative experience – “Understanding Customers” by Ruby Newell-Legner.

It costs 6–7 times more to acquire a new customer than retain an existing one –Bain & Company.

the image quality is not up to my expectations.
Here I don't agree. If the 0806 quality is not for your expectations I think you will never find a great dashcam for you.

enjoy,
Mtz

Here I don't agree. If the 0806 quality is not for your expectations I think you will never find a great dashcam for you.

enjoy,
Mtz
It may be that the one he received has problems though, already a few things mentioned but could also have something image related, doesn't sound like he got a good one

The video quality on mine is pretty decent and if the gps worked as it should I'd probably be keeping it, but since the gps is really crappy I'm getting rid of it. The overall quality seems pretty bad as it is very hard to rotate the mount and when you do the plastic housing kind of flexes.

I wonder if a different design group was involved with the 0806 versus the other versions -- it looks that way to me.

Brian

I wonder if a different design group was involved with the 0806 versus the other versions -- it looks that way to me.
People see different the evolution. For example the 0805 mount concept can be better for some people compared to 0806:
I know people never upgrading a program to a beta version or some of them never upgrading to a new program because their installed program is working OK for them. They just don't want more because are satisfied with what they achieved. Their life is nice and simple. Respect!
New great ideas are always starting with a beta or even an alpha. I am always amazed when I see somebody have an idea which I couldn't have ever.

Regarding design I don't see at least one advantage of 0805 over 0806. And if I don't see such thing this means for me 0806 is an evolution. Of course it could be better because nothing is perfect. Except me. :cool:

enjoy,
Mtz

...The overall quality seems pretty bad as it is very hard to rotate the mount and when you do the plastic housing kind of flexes.

Brian
The prototypes rotate very nicely, it is just the first small "sample" batch that seems to have some manufacturing issues. The case does flex more than the 0803 case but then it is full of ventilation holes! To me, the prototype case seems significantly better quality than the 0803, will be interested to see if the next batch sorts out all the issues, or not...

I had an initial issue with my new 0806 in that it would not display the GPS log when playing back. Using the QTplayer it would say "ERROR The information in GPS route file is unavailable" I was advised by the supplier to format the SDcard and download and install the latest firmware (16 Jan 2015). Problem is now solved. GPS co-ordinates and vehicle speed is now displayed when playing back files.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've been experiencing some of the same issues with my Mini 0806 that others are reporting. The GPS is really slow to get started, taking anywhere from 2 to 8 minutes to get locked on position. The speed in MPH and KPH are off as well. The recorded image indicates MPH, but is clearly displaying KPH. I've attached a clip from the Registrator Viewer which shows it. I'm hoping that future firmware updates will correct these issues, however I don't see how it's going to affect the GPS since it's a separate device in the base.

Attachments

• DashCam.PNG
    DashCam.PNG
    108.5 KB · Views: 20
Hi there - got yesterday my Mini 0806. Bought at Carcamerashop.co.uk and shipped to NL . All installed fine, did firmware update to the 16.01 version. First drive today, still finding beste settings. Any suggestions?
Drive itself was good, all videos were good to see, also GPS worked immediately and checked afterwards the route/video with registratorview. All fine there.
Few questions"
- The blue led keeps blinking all the time (it's powered on the cigarette lighter) - should it be blinking ? (4o minutes drive)
- Camera after 29 minutes shutdown itself even driving normally. Turned it on quickly again, no issue further. Could be overheated or is this common?
- I saw in some forums the suggestion to change led colors. How can that be done? Could not find in manual

Thanks for tips

Shutting down by itself is not normal, shouldn't be heat related in your climate, maybe check your memory card for errors

Back