My truck solution

zapstrap

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
First of all I want to say hi and thank everyone here for this forum. I have learned much and still have much to learn!

I have had an interest in dashcams for a long time and have played with some of the toys they sell in the truckstops. The problem was that none of them have two remote cams that can be mounted on the mirrors, looking down the length of the vehicle. In my experience as a professional driver, it seems that a good number of the incidents that happen along the side of the truck are just as, if not more, important than what happens directly in front.

So, I figured I'd get a dashcam that had three cams and have it all covered. Guess what I couldn't find?

Being a born tinkerer, I started looking for ways to build my own. Not that I want to brag but I think it worked out pretty good... Click on the picture for a short video.

Now I realized the video quality isn't the best. The cams are D1 and 700p. Not HD but good enough when it matters. I used a MDVR, 4-channel, and am happy with it. I can see lots of room for improvement but for now, it's better than nothing!

I took this video in the spring, just after I got it going, so that's some Northern Alberta scenery...

Cheers!

Spring actually comes to Northern Alberta?

:)

It works. I'm curious how the cameras hold up on the truck, outside.

Thanks guys.

Dash R, not only does Spring come to Northern Alberta but so do the mosquito's, black flies, tourists and the DOT! Not necessarily in that order... :D

And the cams did well in some pretty nasty weather. It got down to -25 a few times since the install and they never fogged, which is what I half expected. The only thing is to remember to give them a quick wipe since road grime has a way of getting on the glass.

Any chance you could upload to a different photoservice? My machine is complaining about 18 trackers on that site and refuses to allow it -- even after temporarily enabling those trackers.

Imgur seems to work well on this locked-down machine (http://imgur.com) and has less than half the trackers......

What mobile DVR did you use?

Back