My Wife's sooty supercharged Audi A6

Number400

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama S/CF-100/BulletHD Biker Mate
Her last A6 (non supercharger) did this too. She steps on it ALL THE TIME so it's not buildup. I guess when the pedal hits the floor, the ECU says load it up! There was smoke halfway down the hill but cannot see it on the video.

What is not on video is the police car waiting for speeders halfway down the hill. She said she backed it down at 55 and he did not pull out.

it's safest to just open the fuel injectors wide open on a force induction car at full throttle. running too lean and getting detonation is a scary thing, and you don't want it to happen.

my camry did this too... when it was running 8psi boost. I do miss the instant torque, and the sound of a roots blower, but i don't miss having to buy premium fuel, nor the extra maintenance and odd rattling noise (when not in boost) of the supercharger.

First world problems, here putting the 99 octane gasoline your car put you on the brink of the max allowed boost of engine power.
Pretty much anything fun with a car are not allowed.
Last turbo i was near was around 4 feet in diameter :eek: megaship diesels are something else, standing in the crankcase looking up at the crank and think " nobody better not crank this sucker now"
Plus when you can look at your wrist watch and count the RPM who need a gauge, most chug along at 80 - 90 RPM

First world problems, here putting the 99 octane gasoline your car put you on the brink of the max allowed boost of engine power.

Some of these high altitude places I like to visit in the southwest have 85 octane fuel. The locals use it so I use it too. The lowest octane elsewhere is 87.

482699009_aea4999d57.jpg

86 leaded used to be lowest here, now its 92 octane unleaded.

Euro ratings differ from US ratings:

Europe vs the States

In Europe, gas stations describe different types of gasoline based on their RON rating. It is typical to have 100, 99, 98, 97 or 95 RON with prices varying accordingly. In the States the descriptions look a lot like RON, but they are not.

Pump gas

In the United States gas stations describe the types of gasoline based on the Pump Octane Number (PON). That number is the average between RON and MON. This causes many problems.

If a fuel is 98 RON then it will be 93 PON -> 93 PUMP
If a fuel is 95 RON and 87 MON then it will be 91 PON -> 91 PUMP

many areas are devoid of higher octane 90+. Buddy has two north of 700HP ZL-1s, and houses in various states, and he can't get to some of them due to lack of higher octane fuel.

Back