Naming Scheme of Dashcams (Pro Plus Max+ Ultra FE SE?)

I looked at the pictures of the heatsink location and it concerns me only in its location to the GPS module. I can envision the GPS glitching from receiving a heat source via the window and from the heatsink. I am not worried about dust or water in my car so I will likly enlarge the factory ventilation areas to permit more vertilation.

My vision for dash cams is an aluminum housing with integrated heat dissipating fins, an internal heat sink and copious ventilation.

My vision for dash cams is an aluminum housing with integrated heat dissipating fins, an internal heat sink and copious ventilation.
By copious ventilation you mean Japanese Lady with a Fan

Many forms of cooling are bidirectional, so a piece of metal absorbing heat from a chip, it have to be able to radiate that heat somewhere ( most often to the air )
But if the air is like super hot, or say the sun are hitting the other side of that piece of metal hard, well the flow of heat might switch and your heat sink become a heat source.
You also see saturation of heat, building up to some equilibrium, this is very normal in computers if a case do not have sufficient airflow, then your cooler inside on the CPU just cycle hotter and hotter air over the cooler until it is saturated and will not absorb more.

Dunno if it was in here or elsewhere, but i recently mentioned a Danish made cooler, that was sort of like heat pipe coolers of today, but the circulation was just in a loop and the fluid inside was liquid metal.
And wouldn't you know a few days later and some make a video on this mess of a Danish made cooler.

CUZ as they found out it dont matter if your heat absorption are stellar when your place to shed that heat are still the same ( a few sheets of ALU the pipes pass thru and a fan )
Also if you need 12 V / 30 A just to run the pump on the cooler, well that is a lot of watts down the drain.

Last edited:
I have often wondered why CCTV cameras last for years and dashcams are so finicky. An advantage that CCTV has, at least from what I know, is the outside wired camera, or even interior CCTV, does little processing, other the send the image to a recording device that does all the heavy processing work. A wireless unit would take a bit more processing at the camera side though.

If we / someone make a dashcam in a ALU housing, then for sure it can no longer be a black dashcam we get, or at least there will have to be some kind of shade ability in th mount.
CUZ we all tried to sit on something that been sitting in the sun on a summer day, and very quickly get on our feet again.

Also have to remember that CCTV cameras often run a very low bitrates, i looked at IMX 675 and 678 cameras lately and they all seemed to top out at a 20 mbit bitrate ( H.265 )
But thats still low compared to a bitrate we would like to see in a dashcam with a 1440p or 4K resolution

Also have to remember that CCTV cameras often run ar very low bitrates, i looked at IMX 675 and 678 cameras lately and they all seemed to top out at a 20 mbit bitrate ( H.265 )
But thats still low compared to a bitrate we would like to see in a dashcam with a 1440p or 4K resolution
It would burn your fingers with a housing like that, unless we discover a better material to house our dashcams in.

I guess they run at lower bitrates because they just need to capture the general face/body of someone and that might be more than enough to identify said person as the criminal (in a static environment where the cam is mounted). As opposed to the more challenging environment of motion and the licence plates when it comes to dash cams. And perhaps lower bitrate because a lot of it needs to be uploaded to the cloud if a person has subscribed to that service for cloud alerts etc.

A box for CCTV cameras, say NVR for IP cameras, it do mention a maximum bitrate / resolution it support for the individual channels, but i do not think it do any processing, its just a matter of how much data it is able to handle from each camera, to be able to write that fast enough on the storage media ( often a slow spinning harddisk )

The little piezo fans i mentioned a while back ( Frore systems ) might well be the best solution for on windscreen dashcams in the future, but if it was up to me i would prefer to go for a cheaper remote unit that could make do with a regular heat pipe or vapor chamber cooler, and if pushed hard ( super high bitrates or parking guard in the sun ) maybe a regular low noise fan.

Last edited:
The little piezo fans i mentioned a while back ( Frore systems ) might well be the best solution for on windscreen dashcams in the future, but if it was up to me i would prefer to go for a cheaper remote unit that could make do with a regular heat pipe or vapor chamber cooler, and if pushed hard ( super high bitrates or parking guard in the sun ) maybe a regular low noise fan.
All sounds complicated and the more moving parts the more risk for premature component failure (my personal component is still working by the way ;))

Perhaps better construction materials and better heatsinks like they do in phones. Vapor chamber cooling haha

The PRO MAX version is not impossible. :)

The PRO MAX version is not impossible. :)
You heard it here first folks, the Viofo A329 Pro Max is coming in 2024! :D

Back