Nascar style pass from someone old enough to know better

Number400

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama S/CF-100/BulletHD Biker Mate
I'm doing 65mph in the right lane and Grandpa comes up to tailgate me. I did not slow but showed him a little brake light to wake him up and he moved on.

The math: The white lines are 10 feet long. I was moving at 95.3 feet per second.
Average reaction time at 65mph would be: 142 feet just to get his foot from the throttle to the brake. (65 mph + 6 = 71 feet x 2 = 142 feet).

What a tool!

Last edited:
I'm doing 65mph in the right lane and Grandpa comes up to tailgate me. I did not slow but showed him a little brake light to wake him up and he moved on.

The math: The white lines are 10 feet long. I was moving at 95.3 feet per second.
Average reaction time at 65mph would be: 142 feet just to get his foot on the brake. (65 mph + 6 = 71 feet x 2 = 142 feet).

What a tool!
Then when something happens, they will be quick to blame you. Moron

When someone's tailgating me like that and I'm already above the speed limit and in the slow lane, I will often downshift so as to slow down without lighting the brake lights. THAT usually wakes them up. Especially when it's a cop. They don't like that and will usually pass me at full throttle.

Like you dont differentiate between regular ppl and,,,,,, other regular ppl who work with upholding the law other regular ppl have made. :D

For some reason tailgaters don't bother me that much, perhaps i have become desensitized cuz its not like ppl dont do it here.

Just slow down about 5 mph, like gibson said, no brakes, then watch them pass you and give YOU a dirty look.
:)

I worry more about tailgating semi's, especially if I am stuck between two of them. In this case, there was traffic in front of me and when dipstick was riding so close, I have back off even further from the car in front to accommodate the tailgater's lack of safe slowing distance. If everyone left proper following distance and zipper merged, we would not have traffic jams and the number of collisions would go way down.

My favorite trick for tailgaters (when I was much younger) used to be to hit the brakes just hard enough to dip the nose of the car a bit and punch the gas pedal at the same time. All the driver behind can see is the brake lights coming on and the nose dipping down like in a hard stop. Because I hit the gas at the same time I would actually increase speed a bit so it was perfectly safe for me - and very effective. :D

Reactions: S P
That guy is a douche! I don't understand why he had to do that? All he had to do was pass you if he wanted to drive faster . What a dick!

If everyone left proper following distance and zipper merged, we would not have traffic jams and the number of collisions would go way down.
Agree, but that would require some intelligence and common sense on the part of most people out there. Sadly, that horse has already left the barn.

just slow down, the brake testing will all be fun an games until they slam in to your arse, worse, they will probably have a dash cam as well proving you did it negating the fact they were probably on their phone or driving with their head up their arse. Lets face it, if they are stupid to drive up your arse at speed, do you honestly believe that they have the sense to keep their wits about them as well?

just slow down, the brake testing will all be fun an games until they slam in to your arse, worse, they will probably have a dash cam as well proving you did it negating the fact they were probably on their phone or driving with their head up their arse. Lets face it, if they are stupid to drive up your arse at speed, do you honestly believe that they have the sense to keep their wits about them as well?
and if they're stupid enough to film their own bad driving and then claim it's YOUR fault, then they deserve the book that will be thrown at them. you don't need a reason to panic brake most times - say an animal or something ran out in front of you, or you were avoiding debris or a pothole or whatever.

i can understand people tailgating me if i'm going slow in the fast lane (which i never do unless it's peak traffic time and you can't go faster than the million cars in front of you), but when i'm already driving ABOVE the speed limit in the SLOW lane, and there's a clear lane for them to pass me, there's absolutely no reason for someone to ride my butt like that.

some fellow miata drivers keep uncooked popcorn in the center console so they can casually flick a few pieces up with their thumb so the tailgater never even sees their hand come up - they might see them reach into the center console, but that's it. others say they use pennies instead of popcorn, but that could actually damage a car and REALLY get someone angry at you (nevermind that they're the instigator). popcorn still makes a good enough sound and won't hurt the vehicle. and if they still don't get it after the first few, you can toss a handful up and really wake them up. :p obviously, this only works in a convertible. :D

Well maybe he actually was running liquor when he was young, and now all he can remember is stuff from back then.

hehe thank god chill pills is over the counter medicine in the US, if i ever get to do my US grand tour i think a pharmacy will have to be my first stop :D

This is a common situation folks- many (most) drivers have no clue that what they're doing is 'dangerous'. They'll get right on your arse and then go around. Depth perception is absent.

My favorite trick for tailgaters (when I was much younger) used to be to hit the brakes just hard enough to dip the nose of the car a bit and punch the gas pedal at the same time. All the driver behind can see is the brake lights coming on and the nose dipping down like in a hard stop. Because I hit the gas at the same time I would actually increase speed a bit so it was perfectly safe for me - and very effective. :D
I used to do the same thing all the time. Worked like a charm, and yeah since you're not actually slowing down it confuses the f*** outta them and there's never any danger of any collision. They usually have no interest in being behind you or anywhere close to your tail after that. :)

Back