National speed limit applies

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
Here's a road where the UK national speed limit applies. You see the signs at 15s.
Since it's a single carriageway, that means 60mph for cars, 50mph for vans like mine.

Only a lunatic would drive at those speeds on these roads ... but we are trusted to use our judgment.

What gets me is that there are massive main roads in central London that would be perfectly safe at these speeds that have 20mph limits imposed on them!!! When I think of the people who make these decisions I'm reminded of the old phrase about the first ones to be shot come the revolution.

Not much action, but skip to 3:10 to see BMW driver who would rather take a dangerous line than get his car wet in a puddle.

No surprise for some similar like in your video Dublin ( Ireland ) narrow countryside and back-roads to see 80km/h signs.

Comming from somthing like that it do make me wonder why in WW2 the bocage in normandy was a suprice

I drive those and worse roads all the time and there are plenty of places to drive the legal 60 safely on your video without entering the danger zone of unsettling a car on the inevitable bumpy rough neglected road surface which takes a good deal more speed.

you highlight the danger very clearly as every car I pass on a corner fails to tuck into their kerbside correctly puddle or no puddle and following cars they tend to drive down the middle of the road thus making overtaking difficult..

I always shed my speed to compensate on every semi/blind corner as I realise others lack sense and ability and this minimises any danger to myself and I never feel unsafe or at risk on these tight roads.

Last time I was driving by "accident" local "back-roads" was over half a year ago when stupid GPS showed me shortest route and avoid paid M50 motorway toll ( only 2.50 euro ). In some places in order to avoid collision with upcoming traffic I had to drive with one side of the car "gently" touching side-road bushes. When I was back home I deeply regret I trusted GPS. One side of the car paint need polishing now. This is the price you pay when listening to the "GPS chick". Lesson learned - never listen what women says ! :D

Last time I was driving by "accident" local "back-roads" was over half a year ago when stupid GPS showed me shortest route
Indeed, it was my sat nav that sent me down this road as the quickest route. I'm sure it would be the quickest if I could do 50 all the way, but I can't.

I didn't mind, as it's a nice drive.
I do mind though, when it sends me down roads like this at night. It's seriously dangerous.

Sat nav has a similar problem about roads with speed bumps. It shouldn't treat a road as 30mph when an evil council has put in speed bumps that limit you to 20.

I do mind though, when it sends me down roads like this at night. It's seriously dangerous.

think about it..

at night you can see car headlights for miles on country lanes and you are always alerted on corners which you don't get the benefit of in daylight..

This increases safety on country lanes by a massive margin and the "its a nice drive" distraction is just blackness compounding that margin.

My experience is, most people in their bubble of drive slow watching scenery on scenic roads don't even realise the danger of them drifting into the other lane on a blind corner and these are the people who make country roads the statistically most dangerous to travel...

think about it..

at night you can see car headlights for miles on country lanes

It isn't oncoming cars that make it dangerous at night. It's the fact that it's pitch black. The road edge has no markings. There are twists and turns every few feet.

Where there are no fences or hedges at the edge of the road there is nothing for your head lights to light up!

You have to go dog slow. And if it's raining too...

Horses for courses then..

I love the country roads at night and never found a problem with lights other than the odd time the road could appear to curve in the opposite direction than it actually did but a last minute correction would always ort it.

(some sort of optical illusion no doubt brought on by speed)

I found wildlife/farm life more dangerous than approaching cars but you get to know where the sheep and hares lick salt off the roads and only the pesky badgers and pheasants dash out from grass verges with no warning...

I discovered a hare can run at 32mph and will do it in your headlights for ages before taking a run and a jump over a stone boundary wall, but the sad thing was I could see the tops of trees over the stone wall and always wondered if he was ok ..

Few examples of the "high-speed" narrow roads in Ireland where you have to slow down or completely stop to avoid collision.

- Sample 1
- Sample 2
- Sample 3

... and so on.

Back