Navman miVue 800/850?

OsmanPotarak

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,
This is my first post here.
I live in Australia and have a Hyundai Getz. I'm looking for a good and simple 2ch dashcam thinking of getting the navman miVue 800 as a dashcam - through a deal with my employer I can get it for ~$220.
It has the GPS, Parking and 1080p features that are useful for me, and there seems to be some aftersales support.

I'm surprised however that there is hardly ever any commentary or reviews about these. Why is it? Has anyone used them with good/bad results?

Alternatively, is there any other dashcam you'd recommend in the A$220/US$175 range with similar features?

Thanks all.

There is a subforum on here for "Mio", this is the alternative brand name for Navman (I believe Navman is Au only, but they're all under the MiTAC brand), there may (or may not) be some info there for you?

It might be possible that the Mio branded ones might not use the same model number, I don't know enough to confirm that though, but if you find the Mio version of the 800, you may find reviews

The only youtube clip I could find was a rear view cam clip from a mivue 850

Thanks! It seems that mio/Navman don't get a lot of love in this forum indeed, but I'm not sure why. I checked the special mio forum as well and there were only a handful of threads posted in the last 6 months.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought the miVue 800. It only cost US$250 together with a Samsung EVO 128GB SD Card, not bad at all for a 2CH dashcam packed with features.

Once I install it I will do a review and share my thoughts as well.

They're decent cams as far as I know, I have 508s, they're just budget ones but fine for what I want and haven't given me any issues in 2 years

If you come across issues, post in the Mivue forum, there will be people who might be able to help even if they're not spending much time on here talking about cams

Hi all,
This is my first post here.
I live in Australia and have a Hyundai Getz. I'm looking for a good and simple 2ch dashcam thinking of getting the navman miVue 800 as a dashcam - through a deal with my employer I can get it for ~$220.
It has the GPS, Parking and 1080p features that are useful for me, and there seems to be some aftersales support.

I'm surprised however that there is hardly ever any commentary or reviews about these. Why is it? Has anyone used them with good/bad results?

Alternatively, is there any other dashcam you'd recommend in the A$220/US$175 range with similar features?

Thanks all.
I purchased the Mivue 850 a couple of weeks ago, If I knew then what I know now would I have bought it? probably not. Purely because the extra features do not justify the price $499nz.

Firstly the pros:
Very easy to install and set up with a user friendly interface, one point to make is I installed this in a Holden Commodore and the rear camera cable only just made it in length to the front camera via the door jam. The app for the phone works but is rather basic, I personally have had problems connecting to the camera. The downloadable viewing software is good and works well. Video quality is good (during the day) at 1440p you can read number plates.

Now the cons:
EZYSHARE WiFi: when you turn on the WiFi as a default it only wants to record in 1080p, it will download 1440p files but it is extremely slow.
Safety Camera Alerts: goes off where there are no cameras in the area, no ability to correct the error.
ADAS Safety Features: doesn't work reliably end of story, even after calibrating the unit. Forward collision warning goes off when you pass parked vehicles and when you stop behind vehicles at lights.
Lane Departure Warning: goes off when you change lanes or take an off ramp.
While using the cigarette plug to power your camera you have the problem that if you turn the car ignition to ACC for any period before starting the car the rear camera will turn off and not come back on.

I turned it all off in the end, may work better on the open road but around the city forget it.

I personally would have gone with the cheaper two camera option if I had known.

Last edited:
I purchased the Mivue 850 a couple of weeks ago, If I knew then what I know now would I have bought it? probably not. Purely because the extra features do not justify the price $499nz.

Firstly the pros:
Very easy to install and set up with a user friendly interface, one point to make is I installed this in a Holden Commodore and the rear camera cable only just made it in length to the front camera via the door jam. The app for the phone works but is rather basic, I personally have had problems connecting to the camera. The downloadable viewing software is good and works well. Video quality is good (during the day) at 1440p you can read number plates.

Now the cons:
EZYSHARE WiFi: when you turn on the WiFi as a default it only wants to record in 1080p, it will download 1440p files but it is extremely slow.
Safety Camera Alerts: goes off where there are no cameras in the area, no ability to correct the error.
ADAS Safety Features: doesn't work reliably end of story, even after calibrating the unit. Forward collision warning goes off when you pass parked vehicles and when you stop behind vehicles at lights.
While using the cigarette plug to power your camera you have the problem that if you turn the car ignition to ACC for any period before starting the car the rear camera will turn off and not come back on.

I turned it all off in the end, may work better on the open road but around the city forget it.

I have had my unit four 14 months now and there has been no speed camera update since, so now this feature is also obsolete.

n

Now the cons:

I had similar problem with the 800 - it alarmed when it detect lane departure, but in actual effect I did not.
I updated the firmware and it's good now. Anyway, I turned off the lane departure thingy.
As for cameras, I believed u can edit it. I've cancelled cameras location on my 800.

Cheers

Back