Need help installing Power Magic

Gil

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770 2-Ch
Hi all,

I've just received the Power Magic Pro and I'm a bit in the dark with this.
First of all, I don't know to what voltage I should set it. I've searched the car's manual about the battery properties but it says nothing.
Also, according to the car's manual, the fuse box is near the engine :/
Does that mean there's no fuse box inside the car? Again, couldn't find anything in the car manual.

My car is a 2003 Nissan Pulsar ST-L N16.

I'd be really thankful if someone can help me out here :)

Thanks!

Gil said:
Hi all,

I've just received the Power Magic Pro and I'm a bit in the dark with this.
First of all, I don't know to what voltage I should set it. I've searched the car's manual about the battery properties but it says nothing.
Also, according to the car's manual, the fuse box is near the engine :/
Does that mean there's no fuse box inside the car? Again, couldn't find anything in the car manual.

My car is a 2003 Nissan Pulsar ST-L N16.

I'd be really thankful if someone can help me out here :)

Thanks!
If you know so little about your car I suggest you consult a sparky and get it done properly There are only 3 wires One goes to permanent power One goes to ACC power and the black one goes to earth

The slip of paper the comes with it shows you what goes where.

Read this thread to save me typing it all again viewtopic.php?f=9&t=439 and this one viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1364

Tells you the bits you need and how to fit them You need to find the correct places in the fuse box which is normally inside the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

I'm sure I can handle the wiring if the fuse box is inside the car but I'm not sure where to find the information about the battery and the recommended setting for that battery and the power magic.

You have this kind, I assume:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00851F5R4

If your car is 12V as almost all are, use 11,4V cut-off mode.
Also perhaps about 50h timer would be proper, I think.

Jack007 said:
You have this kind, I assume:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00851F5R4

If your car is 12V as almost all are, use 11,4V cut-off mode.
Also perhaps about 50h timer would be proper, I think.

Yes that's the one I have.
So 11.4v? Anything below and the car won't start? My initial thought was 11.8v.

jokiin said:
Gil said:
Jack007 said:
My initial thought was 11.8v.

that's what I would use considering it's winter now

Why? Because when it gets colder the battery depletes faster? I know that from electronics but never really gave it a thought on the car's battery. So in summer you change it to 11.4?

Gil said:
Why? Because when it gets colder the battery depletes faster? I know that from electronics but never really gave it a thought on the car's battery. So in summer you change it to 11.4?

personally I wouldn't run it at 11.4 but low battery issues and not starting are more prevalent during winter, 11.8 is safer I would say, I'm not there right now but I understand it's been getting cold overnight at the moment

Yes it's been very cold at nights lately.
Thanks for the comment. Now I need to find if I have the fuse box inside the car.

Gil said:
Now I need to find if I have the fuse box inside the car.

you can pick up permanent and accessories behind the radio, it's not necessary to run directly to the fuse box, if your fuse box is in the engine compartment running your wires back there are probably a greater liability anyway

Yes but I have no idea how to take the radio apart :)

it should be super easy, obviously depending on what sort of radio you have. give youtube a search, you may find what your after

normally it's something like this:
1. take any removable head units off
2. remove any face plates/fascias
3. normally included are 2 quick release keys, which you slide 1 on each side and they 'grab' the radio and you just slide it out

Thanks!

I'll give it a try

the quick release keys are often used in aftermarket radios, in Japanese cars normally the dash facia comes off and the radio has brackets either side where it is screwed to the inner section of the dash, I'm not familiar enough with your vehicle to know how it all unclips offhand, if you don't feel confident maybe better to get someone to install it for you (whereabouts in Sydney are you?) if you're comfortable with doing it though and just don't know how to disassemble it to get to what you need then you can probably find someone here http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/ that is familiar with your model and could give you some tips on how to disassemble, I've done it in earlier models of your car and it was very simple, don't expect too much has changed since in the later model

jokiin said:
the quick release keys are often used in aftermarket radios, in Japanese cars normally the dash facia comes off and the radio has brackets either side where it is screwed to the inner section of the dash, I'm not familiar enough with your vehicle to know how it all unclips offhand, if you don't feel confident maybe better to get someone to install it for you (whereabouts in Sydney are you?) if you're comfortable with doing it though and just don't know how to disassemble it to get to what you need then you can probably find someone here http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/ that is familiar with your model and could give you some tips on how to disassemble, I've done it in earlier models of your car and it was very simple, don't expect too much has changed since in the later model

Hi Thanks for the info!

The car radio is the stock one which I must replace because it lacks AUX PL connection.
I'm from Hunters Hill.

Gil said:
jokiin said:

Hi Thanks for the info!

The car radio is the stock one which I must replace because it lacks AUX PL connection.
I'm from Hunters Hill.

Why dont you Google the name of your car and fuse panel photo Would be easier to find the fuse than pull radios out.

Hillbilly said:
Why dont you Google the name of your car and fuse panel photo Would be easier to find the fuse than pull radios out.
I think he had established that the fuse box was in the engine bay, wiring it from an existing feed inside the car is a safer bet than running wires through the firewall into the engine bay, power magic has no fuse of its own so adding one would be worthwhile, particularly if running wires through a firewall (fuse would need to be on the firewall side, the intention of a fuse is to protectthe vehicle, not the device) if unsure getting a professional to wire it would be a better idea, I don't know anyone on that part of Sydney to recommend (I know someone in Concord is the closest) but it's a simple job for any auto elec, radio installer etc

jokiin said:
Hillbilly said:
I think he had established that the fuse box was in the engine bay, wiring it from an existing feed inside the car is a safer bet than running wires through the firewall into the engine bay, power magic has no fuse of its own so adding one would be worthwhile, particularly if running wires through a firewall (fuse would need to be on the firewall side, the intention of a fuse is to protectthe vehicle, not the device) if unsure getting a professional to wire it would be a better idea, I don't know anyone on that part of Sydney to recommend (I know someone in Concord is the closest) but it's a simple job for any auto elec, radio installer etc

I have owned several Nissans and the fuses were always inside The box under the bonnet is for breakers and relays etc and the fuse panel is either under the dash or in the side panels in the footwells

I think in this case he is better consulting a pro or it could all turn into yellow stuff in short order

Hillbilly said:
I have owned several Nissans and the fuses were always inside The box under the bonnet is for breakers and relays etc and the fuse panel is either under the dash or in the side panels in the footwells

only going by what he said, not entirely familiar with that particular model

Hillbilly said:
I think in this case he is better consulting a pro or it could all turn into yellow stuff in short order

very good advice I'd say

Ok so I found the fuse box inside the car. It is hidden behind a drop down drawer that must be removed.

I have followed the steps to the letter but the power magic is not working. the only that I'm missing is that I cannot find a screw which is connected to the car "ground" but could that be a reason enough for it not to work?

Back