Need help installing Power Magic

jokiin said:
Yes it needs to be grounded to work

Yes and make sure it isnt a screw that is just into plastic

You need to meter it to a solid metal body part to ensure it is.

I hope you didnt just stuff a wire down beside a fuse and jam it in cos thats a recipe for disaster

Hillbilly said:
jokiin said:
Yes it needs to be grounded to work

I hope you didnt just stuff a wire down beside a fuse and jam it in cos thats a recipe for disaster

If you refer to the GND cable, then no I didn't. As for the Yellow and Red cables, I've connected them as instructed on the Power Magic box.
I had to remove a portion of the wiring insulation and wrapped around one of the fuse pin's and pushed the fuse back in.

Gil said:
I had to remove a portion of the wiring insulation and wrapped around one of the fuse pin's and pushed the fuse back in.
would be better to get someone to install it properly, shoving a bared wire under a fuse is the recipe for disaster as mentioned

Last edited by a moderator:
Gil said:

that's the roughest install I've ever seen, no wonder comments are disabled, scary that 12,000 people have watched that already

if that's how yours is done I'd suggest disconnecting it and get someone to do it for you properly

if your car uses the mini blade type fuse then yes that will work and that's a far safer solution, they do stick up a bit so just make sure your fusebox has enough clearance to allow it to fit with the cover on

jokiin said:
if your car uses the mini blade type fuse then yes that will work and that's a far safer solution, they do stick up a bit so just make sure your fusebox has enough clearance to allow it to fit with the cover on

There's enough clearance form the cover. What worries me is the narrow space between the mini fuses. I don't know if it will fit in.

I ordered the same thing from eBay. Will find out how it fits soon enough.
Luckily I have no fuses around the one I will be tapping into so I should be ok.
Only thing to check is the cover as I don't know how much it will stick out, but from the pic it doesn't look like much.

Gurkha9 said:
I ordered the same thing from eBay. Will find out how it fits soon enough.
Luckily I have no fuses around the one I will be tapping into so I should be ok.
Only thing to check is the cover as I don't know how much it will stick out, but from the pic it doesn't look like much.
You can buy fuses with a wire already soldered onto them and they dont have a piggyback one on them like the ones pictured in the linked thread.

In Australia Jaycar sell them in both standard and minifuse sizes but only from 10 amp up

The fuse tap is supposed to be better because they won't loosen your fuse connector in the long run. It allows you to "tap" power while keeping the original fuse intact, so you'll end up using two fuses -- the original one and another for the device you're installing, in your case the camera. The setup also looks cleaner. I'll try to take a photo of mine later. You can get a pair for only $3. You might as well buy a set of 2-amp fuses for the dashboard camera.
Ebay Fuse Tap

Swordfish said:
The fuse tap is supposed to be better because they won't loosen your fuse connector in the long run. It allows you to "tap" power while keeping the original fuse intact, so you'll end up using two fuses -- the original one and another for the device you're installing, in your case the camera. The setup also looks cleaner. I'll try to take a photo of mine later. You can get a pair for only $3. You might as well buy a set of 2-amp fuses for the dashboard camera.
Ebay Fuse Tap
This is what I mean and you can put a line fuse in I used the ciggy lighter plug and socket so didnt need one

Takes up a lot less room

I prefer this type. Looks a little bit more solid than the soldered wire ;).
The origin fuse and the new fuse are fitted in an 90° angle so the heigth is usually sufficient for a fuse box.

Regards

Attachments

• Fuse.jpg
    Fuse.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 102
Here's a photo of my fuse box with the fuse tap, as promised.
8976512907_aa69cfedd6_o.jpg

Back