Need recommendations - 2 setups

mde8965

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I am new to this forum. Like many others I am sure, I became interested in dash cams and my research on the internet led me here. Also like many I am sure, I am completely overwhelmed with all of the alternatives that exist and cannot even narrow down the choices to a reasonable number.

In doing my research, I came to the conclusion that I want to deal with a company or seller/reseller that I can trust and that will provide support if needed. Seeing a lot of posts here from pier28 and recommendations for the products they sell.

That all said, I am looking for recommendations not only for the cams I need, but the accessories and add ons as well that will allow me to accomplish my objectives.

I am looking for two different set ups.
First:
I own the first car. So permanent installation is ok as long as its not too complicated. But at any rate the system will remain in the car.
This will be a front and rear cam system

Requirements front cam:
Clearest video possible during the day
Clear video at night within reason - less important than day
Must have a screen to be able to set options, either integrated or separate but not hard wired
GPS not necessary as I cannot see a need for this - unless I am missing some need
G Sensor required
Wi-fi not necessary
Somewhat discreet - dont want to smash and grab target or view obstruction
I am in Florida - so need something that works in extreme heat - capacitor verses a battery
Reliable with support, relatively easy and available firmware updates
Parking mode based on G sensor preferred, but will consider one that is on always but easy to turn on and off
Price range - up to $250 (or close)

Requirements rear cam:
Somewhat clear video within reason
Set and forget
stealth - dont want this to be overly obvious from behind
No screen or separate screen that does not need to be hard wired
Again - hot climate - must be ok in extreme heat
GPS and wifi not necessary
G Sensor required
Reliable with support
Parking mode based on G sensor preferred, but will consider one that can be always on but easy to turn off/on
Price range - up to $150 (or close)

Also looking for whatever good or necessary accessories with this that will be useful - cost separate from that quoted above...such as mounts, wiring, power packs or options to power the cams in park mode and not kill my battery. If possible, tell me where to buy these too..

I will post second setup in reply below.

Thanks to all in advance...

Last edited:
Second set up.
This will be only a front cam for now.

I have 2 leased vehicles that I drive alternatively. The system must be easily removed from one and put in the other vehicle and back again depending on which system is being driven that day. No permanent installation:

Cam requirements:
Since only a front cam, either as wide a view as possible or integrated front a rear facing cam - thinking in terms of car being parked and being hit from side or back or being broken into
Clear video at night within reason - less important than day but still somewhat important
Must have a screen to be able to set options, either integrated or separate but not hard wired
GPS not necessary as I cannot see a need for this - unless I am missing some need
G Sensor required
Wi-fi not necessary
I am in Florida - so need something that works in extreme heat - capacitor verses a battery
Parking mode based on G sensor preferred, but will consider one that is on always but easy to turn on and off
Price range - up to $300 (or close)

Again accessories such as temporary mounts, power options etc. recommendations are welcome here too...

It sounds like you've done your homework and pretty much dialled in the specs you want. What products are you interested in so far that you've looked at?

First one a glass hugging wedge design would be good

Second one you'll want a more traditional hanging bracket / Suction cup mount option.

Super capacitor is the way to go.

Agreed about the super capacitor. As for what products I am interested in so far...

Well honestly the Mini 806 get me very interested until I read all of the issues that unit seems to be happening. The DOD LS460W also interested me for a while. Then as I researched more, I was reading good things about the Panorama and Street Guardian offerings. I also read a lot of recommendations for some "mobius" for a rear unit but also read it is hard to set up.

So assuming for a moment, the various units that you sell (Pier28), which would you recommend for my set up and what else do I need to get the permanent setup wired up and not killing my battery in park mode without any dangling wires (both front and rear cams). Do you have any or recommend any with a dedicated park mode using the G sensor as opposed to the ones that will be always on when the car is parked if I turn it on?

For the second temporary setup, again of the ones you offer, what unit would you recommend with what specific accessories?

Or at least narrow it down to the top two or three recommendations and why, even if the recommendations include those you do not sell.

Thanks...

Agreed about the super capacitor. As for what products I am interested in so far...

Well honestly the Mini 806 get me very interested until I read all of the issues that unit seems to be happening. The DOD LS460W also interested me for a while. Then as I researched more, I was reading good things about the Panorama and Street Guardian offerings. I also read a lot of recommendations for some "mobius" for a rear unit but also read it is hard to set up.

So assuming for a moment, the various units that you sell (Pier28), which would you recommend for my set up and what else do I need to get the permanent setup wired up and not killing my battery in park mode without any dangling wires (both front and rear cams). Do you have any or recommend any with a dedicated park mode using the G sensor as opposed to the ones that will be always on when the car is parked if I turn it on?

For the second temporary setup, again of the ones you offer, what unit would you recommend with what specific accessories?

Or at least narrow it down to the top two or three recommendations and why, even if the recommendations include those you do not sell.

Thanks...

I'd pick the Mini 0805 over the 0806

Not familiar enough with DOD to give an opinion

Since you asked, here are my further recommendations

I own the first car. So permanent installation is ok as long as its not too complicated. But at any rate the system will remain in the car.
This will be a front and rear cam system

Requirements front cam:
Clear video at night within reason - less important than day
G Sensor required
Wi-fi not necessary
Price range - up to $250 (or close)

Requirements rear cam:
Somewhat clear video within reason
Set and forget
stealth - dont want this to be overly obvious from behind
No screen or separate screen that does not need to be hard wired
Again - hot climate - must be ok in extreme heat
GPS and wifi not necessary
G Sensor required
Reliable with support
Parking mode based on G sensor preferred, but will consider one that can be always on but easy to turn off/on
Price range - up to $150 (or close)

Also looking for whatever good or necessary accessories with this that will be useful - cost separate from that quoted above...such as mounts, wiring, power packs or options to power the cams in park mode and not kill my battery. If possible, tell me where to buy these too..

I will post second setup in reply below.

Thanks to all in advance...

Front:
SG9665GC has very clear day/night picture quality, the all metal lens housing will keep things extra sharp in all conditions. (hot or cold)
The basic screen is just the right size to be useful for changing settings but not being in the way etc.
G-Sensor will save events
It's very discrete
It has a pause/resume motion detection setting, with various time-out options to keep it recording longer/shorter per your preference after an event.
Price is 199 (under 250)

Rear:
SGZC12RC is an excellent rear supplemental camera. Keep the main DVR in the trunk or route it up into the glovebox. The main camera is as small as it gets though.
PPjy51A.png

The screen is hidden out of site, this model doesn't have GPS
G-Sensor is located in the camera itself works well
It has pre-buffered motion detection meaning it will capture 5-seconds before the g-sensor or motion detection event
Price is also 199 but the 50 savings from above will cancel that out.
You'll see USDashCamera posted a recent youtube review.

You could power both via the PANOBPD (battery discharge prevention) hard wire kit. You would need a basic cigarette Y-Splitter so you can power both off one.

Note, if you want pre-buffer up front, you can look at using the SGZC12SG / SGZC12SGSK up front as well. Since you don't need GPS, the Panorama S would save money. All have G-Sensor. All are extremely heat/cold tolerant, no problems there.

Second set up.
This will be only a front cam for now.

I have 2 leased vehicles that I drive alternatively. The system must be easily removed from one and put in the other vehicle and back again depending on which system is being driven that day. No permanent installation:

Cam requirements:
Since only a front cam, either as wide a view as possible or integrated front a rear facing cam - thinking in terms of car being parked and being hit from side or back or being broken into
Clear video at night within reason - less important than day but still somewhat important
G Sensor required
Wi-fi not necessary
Price range - up to $300 (or close)

Again accessories such as temporary mounts, power options etc. recommendations are welcome here too...

I wouldn't be too worried about permanent installation as far as the adhesive mount goes (vs suction cup) You can remove the adhesive mount by sawing a piece of string between the glass and mount when it's time to trade the car back in. The SGZC12SG is very easy to slip out of the T-Peg system. As I said above, very heat/cold resistant, good to go. I'd be happy to give you a free 2nd power supply as needed. SGZC12SG has a super wide angle lens too. 154 instead of 135. You can easily spin/aim it to the side as needed as well. As far as discrete, for having a medium sized touch screen it's not too bad when mounted behind the rearview mirror.
J2DjPHu.png

Thank you Pier28! Let me digest all of this and look up the products you mentioned and I will respond later today.

I did some reading and more research. I like your suggestions. I am torn between the SG9665GC and the SGZC12SGSK for the front cams. With the SGZC12 I would probably mount via adhesive mount in the permanent install, and with the suction cup mount for the other two leased cars. Besides the form factor, about the only difference between the SG9665GC and the SGZC12 is the latter has the pre-buffer or park mode right?

I am curious as well about the Panorama X2 as well. Curious if there is any other reason other than stealth install why you did not recommend this unit, or are there other reasons as well. Because I might be able to live with the less discrete form factor if there are no other drawbacks. The benefits to this unit being it is cheaper overall for front/rear, using the front screen for both cams, etc. Let me know about that.

Thanks so much for all the info

I did some reading and more research. I like your suggestions. I am torn between the SG9665GC and the SGZC12SGSK for the front cams. With the SGZC12 I would probably mount via adhesive mount in the permanent install, and with the suction cup mount for the other two leased cars. Besides the form factor, about the only difference between the SG9665GC and the SGZC12 is the latter has the pre-buffer or park mode right?

I am curious as well about the Panorama X2 as well. Curious if there is any other reason other than stealth install why you did not recommend this unit, or are there other reasons as well. Because I might be able to live with the less discrete form factor if there are no other drawbacks. The benefits to this unit being it is cheaper overall for front/rear, using the front screen for both cams, etc. Let me know about that.

Thanks so much for all the info

If you are getting multiple systems, I'll toss in the 4th special mount that normally comes with the SGZC12SG-Deluxe-Kit (no problem)

Biggest differences of GC vs ZC12 are,
Pause-Resume vs Pre-buffer Motion Detection
microSD (64GB max) vs SD (512GB max)
Glass Hugging fixed vs Hanging Flexible
No Touch Screen vs Touch Screeen
135 medium wide vs 154 super-wide.
5V miniUSB powered vs 12V direct power.

I didn't want to get carried away with suggestions I guess :) yes X2 has very good quality video.
It's had some firmware growing pains but latest 1.02.05 paired with Lexar 633x MLC microSD cards is good.
Front camera is big, and it's a hard wire install only. (you can't move it between cars)

...and with the suction cup mount for the other two leased cars....
Even though I'm not directly involved in this conversation I'd just like to say that you're probably limiting yourself unnecessarily by not considering an adhesive mount for the lease cars. From experience I can assure you it's a 5 minute, or less, job to remove the mount and clean the residue off the glass.

Just my $.02. ;)

Thanks again.

After having looked at pics of the Mustang setup you have, I think I am about settled on 2 SGZC12RC for the permanent setup. I would like to have both display units in the trunk though on a board. These are going into a 2015 Challenger 392 scat pack... the battery and fuse box are in the trunk, which is where I would also like to hard wire both. I would mount both cams with adhesive. Trying to figure out exactly what else is needed. I assume I need a PANOBPD (battery discharge prevention) hard wire kit. As well as a cigarette Y-Splitter so I can power both cams off the one hard wire kit. I need the hard wire kit as there are no power outlets in back. Do you sell all of these things?

On the other setup for the 2 cars, I think I want to go with the SGZC12SGSK. I would need 2 wiring kits to get from the cam behind the dash to the power outlet. I will likely just mount it in both cars with adhesive since the unit comes out of the bracket or holder easily... I am still confused about park mode for this unit though since I dont really want to hard wire anything at this point. Or does lack of hard wiring mean I am SOL on park mode?

Anyway, let me know. And shoot me a quote for everything. PM if possible. Thanks for all the help...

Thanks again.

After having looked at pics of the Mustang setup you have, I think I am about settled on 2 SGZC12RC for the permanent setup. I would like to have both display units in the trunk though on a board. These are going into a 2015 Challenger 392 scat pack... the battery and fuse box are in the trunk, which is where I would also like to hard wire both. I would mount both cams with adhesive. Trying to figure out exactly what else is needed. I assume I need a PANOBPD (battery discharge prevention) hard wire kit. As well as a cigarette Y-Splitter so I can power both cams off the one hard wire kit. I need the hard wire kit as there are no power outlets in back. Do you sell all of these things?

On the other setup for the 2 cars, I think I want to go with the SGZC12SGSK. I would need 2 wiring kits to get from the cam behind the dash to the power outlet. I will likely just mount it in both cars with adhesive since the unit comes out of the bracket or holder easily... I am still confused about park mode for this unit though since I dont really want to hard wire anything at this point. Or does lack of hard wiring mean I am SOL on park mode?

Anyway, let me know. And shoot me a quote for everything. PM if possible. Thanks for all the help...

Sounds good. Where are you located? Yes we have both SGZC12RC and PANOPBD. (don't have the Y-Splitter though)

I'll toss in free PANO3M2 short adhesive mounts for the SGZC12SGSK (no problem)

For parking mode, all you need is a constant power source, and turn Motion Detection to on. It's automatic after that.

I'll PM you now.

Back