Need: Reviews on Rear View Mirror Cameras?

My priority is backup camera functionality and RVM clarity since the main reason I want to do this is to give my mom a backup camera.
Does she need the backup camera to record, of just for the live view while she has it in reverse?

This is one of the things I plan to find at SEMA. These rear view mirro dash cameras just kill me. So many people buy them. I just dont understand the fad other then the huge screen.

This is one of the things I plan to find at SEMA. These rear view mirro dash cameras just kill me. So many people buy them. I just dont understand the fad other then the huge screen.
Agreed, their pricing is just ridiculous too considering they use something like the years old IMX335. People get roped in and conned by it all

Agreed, their pricing is just ridiculous too considering they use something like the years old IMX335. People get roped in and conned by it all
I just want a unit with a normal rear camera as well. Anyways it should be fun searching.

Does she need the backup camera to record, of just for the live view while she has it in reverse?
In this case mainly a backup camera. I’ve seen some standalone ones that put a screen in the dash and I don’t want to add an extra doodad on her dash. A RVM-style backup cam blends into the car better and since most of those have dashcams anyways, then it’s basically two birds with one stone.

I don’t want to add an extra doodad on her dash
it’s basically two birds with one stone.
That’s where I was headed, (killing birds with cake, and eating it too).
Since she doesn’t need the backup camera to record, depending on the type of car, it’s possible to install a Universal $16 camera like this without any additional hardware; https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07TLHH7SF
I installed this one on my 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0CB3BP17K
I chose this style so I could mount it under the lip of my trunk lid so it would be hidden as much as possible.
Zoom in on the photo, and you can see it above the 3 on the license plate, in front of the 13” LED light bar that is brighter than some car’s headlights. Lol
That also illuminates when I engage reverse gear.

Hi-Res Thumbnail .jpg

I did this 5 years ago when I installed a Sony CarPlay Radio.
I replaced the radio so I could connect my iPhone for music & GPS Map capability.
When I was installing it I saw it had an RCA Video Input, (didn’t know that before purchase).
Since I had the car apart I figure why not install a $12 backup cam that will automatically display on my new stereo screen when I engage reverse.

Why am I wasting your time with this?
It’s possible even if your Mom’s car has the factory OEM radio / stereo if it has a “screen” it may also have an RCA Video input for Universal backup camera.
Even if it does not have the RCA Video input aftermarket stereo manufacturers might make an adapter for you Mom’s car.
Ask Crutchfield.com they will know, (been buying stuff from them since 1993).
So it might be worth taking a peek at the inputs on the back of the factory / OEM radio / stereo, (that is if it has a “screen”).
If it does not have a screen you could always say; “Hey mom, how would you like a new CarPlay radio for your car?” lol

Here’s the Sony CarPlay unit, and $12 backup camera I installed 5 years ago;

Ooh great suggestion @Panzer Platform! Just spent some time chatting with Crutchfield and CarTunes and it looks like it's $500-$1500 for different systems, plus maybe another $500 in labor for the install unless I DIY it. Thanks for bringing this up. :)

If your mom is like mine she won't appreciate a new gadget like a rear view mirror camera.
But, if you can add backup camera functionality with a level of OEM integration (like it was part of the car from the factory) she may not notice it as much.

This is one of the things I plan to find at SEMA. These rear view mirror dash cameras just kill me. So many people buy them. I just don't understand the fad other then the huge screen.
I agree, they are bulky, not as good as a dedicated dashcams and a bit harder to place the rear camera outside the car (like under a spoiler). So I actually was looking forward to getting the Viofo A139 Pro. But that was before I got my Hyundai Ioniq 5 which doesn't have a rear wiper. I'm too old school and rely on my rear view mirror way more than my side mirrors to see what's behind me. The highly rated dashcams are usually without a screen and those that do, are tiny. So I ended up getting a mirror dash cam for the time being.

Well i dont think i would like using a reversing camera, BUT ! i know my back would love it, CUZ turning in the seat to look out back, well not as easy as it use to be.
Will take some getting used to i am sure, but it is never too late for a old dog to learn new tricks.

I would prefer to use the big screen of my radio though.

Back