Need to protect my rear

j4y

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, moved to Massachusetts and my car has been hit and run in parking lots twice already while it was parked!

I'm so late to buying a dash cam. With winter coming is there a good dash cam that will film while parked in a north east winter? I keep looking up front and rear dash cam combos and would have no idea where to mount them or if they would be good if the temperature dropped.

You aren't supposed to mount anything on the windshield in Massachusetts from what I've been reading.

Here's what we've found:
Dash cams are legal in Massachusetts, but there are laws to be aware of: It's illegal to place a non-transparent object on the windshield, so mount your dash cams on the dashboard or behind the rear view mirror instead.
So you could try something like a Thinkware F200PRO or a VIOFO A129 Plus / Pro depending on your budget. You can go even higher if you have a higher budget.
Alternatively, you can also try a mirror cam. Those are always great options if you don't like sticking something onto your windshield.

Reactions: j4y
I have a Viofo A129 and I am happy with it. Its parking mode works well and I have it streaming its video to my phone where it is recorder (just in case someone takes my camera). However its video stream has less resolution than what is recorded on the camera. Also its wifi range is about 30ft. For a better wifi range you could try the Viofo A 139 since it will connect to your private wifi network and its wifi range can be extended over much larger areas. Another good option but a bit more expensive is Thinkware q800 pro. For stream recording I use a free app I got from google app store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unicordia.dc_free. It is called Birds ai view. Besides recording the app also detects people and sends me notifications when someone gets too close to my car.

Welcome to the forum j4y.

Little parking lot door dings, you probably will not see captured by the G-sensor in a dashcam as it is most often not much of a event more a result of the almost foil thickness metal cars are made off today.
BUT ! they sure are annoying.

I prefer to use always record low bitrate, and then also have G-sensor on to lock any severe events, this way the car record all the time though might miss little events so you will have to detect those on your own accord.
I also use a timer as i don't often park out on the town for long and at home i have CCTV on my parked car ( from my 2 floor apartment ) i have a little car with a little battery and dont drive much, on avergage only 15 - 20 minutes daily.
Many cameras even if they have detected something they will not say like " 4 events while you have been parked" when you get back to the car, so again you still have to notice though if G-sensor have locked the files should be safe in the read only event folder,,,,,, at least for a while as some do overwrite events too if you have a "poo" ton of those,,,,,,, the trick using any form of trigger while driving or parked is to not have too many false events being generated,,,,, hence why motion detect are advised against.
Some of the smart 4G connected cameras will send notifications to your phone, but then you also need a #2 SIM card for the car, and a access point if that is not build into the camera itself like it is in some new cameras.
These smart cameras are also often the most expensive cameras.

Rule in Denmark are the same about having stuff on the windshield or in line of sight, but dashcams are generally meant to be mounted as high as possible, and in the center of the windscreen, so directly in front of your mirror.
Now this are often a problem in new cars as they have a sensor "island" right there in the middle / top of the windscreen, in which case you have to mount a little offset from it ( 2 - 3 inches offset to accommodate wide angle lens )
Some times people have also mounted camera off a surface on the bottom of that sensor island on the windscreen.

IMO a dashcam should not be advertised, so should be mounted stealthy, mine are in front of mirror on shade area so only the bottom 1/3 of already small camera can be seen ( see below link page 54 )
Do note i have many cameras in windscreen as a tester so really not stealthy, but if i only had one camera it would be very stealthy,,,, some cameras often come off as just another sensor camera on the windscreen,,,, IF ! they are not mounted in the middle of the windscreen of course.
You should take a look in the how have you mounted your camera thread to see what people have done with different cameras and windscreen layouts. ( lots of pictures )

I forgot to say.
Some times Canadians have reported dashcams not working after severe cold nights, so car and so also camera need to warm up before they work.
Being a Dane also up north on the globe, i have never experienced a cold locked dashcam in the 10 years i have been using them, but that global warming,,,,, winters are no longer as my childhood in the 70ties.

Doing parking guard, well if you have frost or snow on the windscreen the camera will of course only see that, though they are able to melt a little as the cameras do generate a little heat while in parking guard.
Doing parking guard in the summer parked in the sun, a camera might also shut down due to too high temperature, all electronics have a maximum temperature,,,,, also a minimum but most often it is the maximum one we hear about in regard to dashcams.

So, moved to Massachusetts and my car has been hit and run in parking lots twice already while it was parked!

I'm so late to buying a dash cam. With winter coming is there a good dash cam that will film while parked in a north east winter? I keep looking up front and rear dash cam combos and would have no idea where to mount them or if they would be good if the temperature dropped.

You aren't supposed to mount anything on the windshield in Massachusetts from what I've been reading.
Also, if you would like a tiny dash cam with temp-resistant feartures. You may look ar Vantrue E1:
The E1 dash cam is equipped with a supercapacitor, which allows the camera to withstand the most frigid cold and intense heat. Safer than battery charged dash cam.

Here's what we've found:
Dash cams are legal in Massachusetts, but there are laws to be aware of: It's illegal to place a non-transparent object on the windshield, so mount your dash cams on the dashboard or behind the rear view mirror instead.
So you could try something like a Thinkware F200PRO or a VIOFO A129 Plus / Pro depending on your budget. You can go even higher if you have a higher budget.
Alternatively, you can also try a mirror cam. Those are always great options if you don't like sticking something onto your windshield.
Thank you I'm looking up both of these right now!

I have a Viofo A129 and I am happy with it. Its parking mode works well and I have it streaming its video to my phone where it is recorder (just in case someone takes my camera). However its video stream has less resolution than what is recorded on the camera. Also its wifi range is about 30ft. For a better wifi range you could try the Viofo A 139 since it will connect to your private wifi network and its wifi range can be extended over much larger areas. Another good option but a bit more expensive is Thinkware q800 pro. For stream recording I use a free app I got from google app store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unicordia.dc_free. It is called Birds ai view. Besides recording the app also detects people and sends me notifications when someone gets too close to my car.
Really appreciate your options you've given and I am looking into them! Trying to figure out how I would mount that thinkware one

I like mine mounted next to the rearview mirror, behind the shaded area of the windscreen such that only the lenses come out of the shaded area. That way the camera gets less heat/direct sun in the summer, and it is more discreet. Routing the wires was the more troublesome part for me.

Back