Neodymium MAGNETIC Bracket Mount for Dash Camera DVR ( Urive Albatross2 Albatross II AlbatrossII )

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Many good ( mostly Korean made ) Dash Cameras comes with permanent fix bracket which mounted with double-sided ( 3M ) tape to the car wind-shield. This poses a problem for those people who want to remove dash camera on daily bases.

I found for myself interesting DIY solution of Neodymium MAGNETIC Bracket / Mount.
You can easily and quickly attach / detach your dash camera.

I used household tools and some "imagination". Below is result.

Video and photos are based on Urive Albatross II dash camera, but you can implement same bracket solution to most permanently fix dash camera brackets.

Step by step DIY project. Hope you find it useful.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

q4.jpg

q5.jpg

q6.jpg

q7.jpg

q8.jpg

q9.jpg

q10.jpg

P.S. to manufacturers:
If you find this solution being interesting and want to start making similar sliding bracket mount solution as mass-production, - I would like to have some fair commission for my idea ;)

you'll start to see some products with mag brackets coming onto the market soon, one very neat one I saw used a small mount pedestal similar to what's used for a rear view mirror which had 3M tape on the back to stick to the window and the mount bracket had a magnet built in, worked quite well, a couple you'll see coming where the camera has a magnetic attachment to quickly remove but the power is also provided through the bracket so no cables to disconnect

you'll start to see some products with mag brackets coming onto the market soon, one very neat one I saw used a small mount pedestal similar to what's used for a rear view mirror which had 3M tape on the back to stick to the window and the mount bracket had a magnet built in, worked quite well, a couple you'll see coming where the camera has a magnetic attachment to quickly remove but the power is also provided through the bracket so no cables to disconnect

I guessed that idea about 2y ago. First production magnetic bracket dash I cam saw about 4-5 month ago with button-type magnet connection.
Hope more dash cas will come with option of using quick mount- dismount magnetic bracket. At least this type is most convenient for me.

Wow really nice work!

Instead of using tape would Vinyl Spray work long Term?

I did a small DIY with Flexi Prime than Vinyl Dye,it has worn away yet will add a DIY with Photo's myself soon.

Wow really nice work!

Instead of using tape would Vinyl Spray work long Term?

I did a small DIY with Flexi Prime than Vinyl Dye,it has worn away yet will add a DIY with Photo's myself soon.

Electrical tape is quick temporary solution.
Proper would be Plasti Dip. I have it, but did not had time to use on this dash cam.
I used lately plasti dip on diy lens polarized ( cpl ) filter. Will post job soon.

What will happen in case of traffic accident? Where camera will fly to? I think this mount is too weak. Good idea with that "hook" on the bottom of mount. But I wish it be on top. Or no both top and bottom of mount (sliding mount). I have seen many times that camera records roof after accident.

What will happen in case of traffic accident? Where camera will fly to? I think this mount is too weak. Good idea with that "hook" on the bottom of mount. But I wish it be on top. Or no both top and bottom of mount (sliding mount). I have seen many times that camera records roof after accident.

You have a point. With initial earlier weak magnets it probably will "fly" in case of minor accident. Later I started using thicker magnets which are so strong that some time it hard to detach a dashcam. In case of trully heavy accident where windshield is getting broken, its no matter which type of mount used, both of them will "fly".

Modern windshield will never be destroyed completely or fly out from the car. Things in the car may become up to 50-100 times "heavier" in case of overloads. Simple suction cups often don't withstand it. Will this mount withstand 5-10kg load? Just try to turn upside down windshield part of your mount and it will become many times more reliable than original solution. Just a proposal :)

Just checked. Human head will withstand 88G short overload. It's a safe limit. During standard crash test dummy get's about 45-60G overload, it's safe. Car itself and and particularily windshield will get much heavier overloads. Your current solution will withstand about 10 G (0.109 * 10 = 1.09kg). Such a light overload Russian cars get daily :)

Modern windshield will never be destroyed completely or fly out from the car. Things in the car may become up to 50-100 times "heavier" in case of overloads. Simple suction cups often don't withstand it. Will this mount withstand 5-10kg load? Just try to turn upside down windshield part of your mount and it will become many times more reliable than original solution. Just a proposal :)

With trully heavy accident no modern windshield survive. Yes, with medium class accidents some time it can go into spyder web-type, and I am familiar with load forces, innercia, centrifuge etc ;).
This project was just a quick DIY to add to existing stock bracket more mounting flexibility. If I would be head of Urive R&D, I would do whole bracket / mount from scratch in more practical way. It has been done half year ago and since them I went to more complex and stronger solutions. So back then it was just a first start of test'n'tries.

Reactions: GET
It has been done half year ago and since them I went to more complex and stronger solutions. So back then it was just a first start of test'n'tries.
And I learn things from you, thank you! :)

And I learn things from you, thank you! :)

Thanks. We all learn from each other here on forum trough personal experience, advice and real life test'n'try.

Back