New 2019 dashcams?

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1+G3ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Viofo A229ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Blueskysea B4K
Where are they?

Has anyone released a significant dashcam this year?

Looking at the Best Dash Cams of 2019 page, the current leading dashcams are listed as:
Thinkware F800 PRO - "Release Date - Jun 2016"
Vantrue N2 Pro - Release date not specified, but must be about this old.
Megtech 0906 - "Release Date - Jun 2017"
Blueskysea B1W - "Release Date - Dec 2017"
Street Guardian SG9663DC - "Release Date - Nov 2017"
Viofo A129 - "Release Date - Jun 2018"

So Viofo are the only manufacturer to release a main camera last year, and none are this years cameras!

Megtech and Street Guardian have talked about dual remote cameras coming soon, but those wont replace their main dashcams.

So where is the Megtech 1006, SG????DC, Viofo A139, Blueskysea B2W? (Might have some of those names wrong!)
We know there are new Sony Starvis sensors available, presumably there are new improved processors, lenses, support for 1TB memory cards etc...

Where are the 4K dashcams that work in the dark and don't overheat, the Gitup F1 action camera showed that it is possible, but I've had my F1 well over a year, it's never overheated and runs a good bitrate, but still the only 4K real dashcam we see mention of is the Blackvue DR900 which does overheat and has very low bitrate and thus Blackvue doesn't appear on the Best Dash Cams of 2019 page.

Where are the 5 channel dashcams giving us coverage of front, back, left, right and cabin?

Must be some new ones coming soon, something utilizing new sensors, something that will improve the current standard and force everyone else to upgrade too... :coffee:

Edit:
  • Blueskysea confirms new B2W "car dash camera" and B1M "motorcycle dash camera" coming this year in post #4.

Last edited:
I think SG are also brewing on a 4K camera, but cant seem to find the right components for it yet, so no telling when that will hit the market.
4 & 5 channel systems are not there cuz sales will be marginal and the price high.
Several of the SG cameras are also out in PRO versions, which i assume are the 2019 cameras.

Seem like a years new releases are most often in the tail end of the year.

I think the best dashcams of 2019 are the best dashcams to buy in 2019 but not necessarily released in 2019

I think SG are also brewing on a 4K camera, but cant seem to find the right components for it yet, so no telling when that will hit the market.
Not too hard to find a bigger heatsink!

630588-n0.jpg

4 & 5 channel systems are not there cuz sales will be marginal and the price high.
Some people are installing 2 dual cameras to get front+back+left+right. I would think that a 4 channel camera would be cheaper than 2x dual cameras? And could also be sold as a 2 channel camera with support for 2 extra optional cameras.
Seem like a years new releases are most often in the tail end of the year.
Looking at my list above, it seems that June is the most common time of year for release.

DC was replaced by DCPRO late last year, X2PRO and X2PRO+ were last year also, dual remote will come later once we sort some things, new products have long lead times, DC we started at the end of 2015, dual remote has had over 2 years already

Where are the 4K dashcams that work in the dark and don't overheat, the Gitup F1 action camera showed that it is possible, but I've had my F1 well over a year, it's never overheated and runs a good bitrate

single channel though, you can get 100mbit reliably on Ambarella as a single channel yet they fall over at 30mbit combined for 2 channel

single channel though, you can get 100mbit reliably on Ambarella as a single channel yet they fall over at 30mbit combined for 2 channel
How about 4K Hisi chipset

How about 4K Hisi chipset
I haven't used it but some of the Koreans are and the results are ok but not great, it's hard to tell with Korean cameras though as their image quality is never great and other cameras based on the same platforms often perform significantly better

Yes Koreans, even the southern ones, do seem to have a acquired taste in image quality.
Thank god you can tune the image settings on their TVs at least, otherwise a few brands would be in deep trouble.

DC was replaced by DCPRO late last year, X2PRO and X2PRO+ were last year also, dual remote will come later once we sort some things, new products have long lead times, DC we started at the end of 2015, dual remote has had over 2 years already
Best Dashcams page hasn't heard of DCPRO and describes the X2PRO as "The camera is very similar to the front camera of the popular SG9663DC dual camera". Obviously the update to Starvis sensors for both front and rear cameras instead of front only was a worthwhile upgrade, not exactly a new generation though.

Don't hear much about Ambarella these days, they seem more interested in putting artificial intelligence and visual driver monitoring in our cars and competing with Intel and Nvidia!

I think we need to look elsewhere for our dual/quad 4K dashcams.

Yes, B2W is the correct name for our new car dash camera! And also, we will release a new motorcycle dash camera B1M this year!
Good to see that somebody is busy and new stuff is coming :)

First post updated.

I have seen a few posts suggesting Garmin have something new around the corner and Mio are launching something next week.

Maybe right now is a trend to release new versions of actual cameras, maybe because the hardware didn't improved too much to make a new model.

enjoy,
Mtz

Has anyone released a significant dashcam this year?

Looking at the Best Dash Cams of 2019 page,
That page was last updated on 5th January. Unfortunately, looking back at some of the other "Best Dash Cams of 20xx" pages, I don't think they are updated very often so they're not a definitive list of the best that is available at any given time.

Yes, B2W is the correct name for our new car dash camera! And also, we will release a new motorcycle dash camera B1M this year!
Good to see that somebody is busy and new stuff is coming :)
Nigel, since you already have the B2W (as listed in your profile) you must have known this was coming before you started this thread? I suspect you also know about some other models that are in development too?

Maybe right now is a trend to release new versions of actual cameras, maybe because the hardware didn't improved too much to make a new model.

enjoy,
Mtz
Yes, SG have updated the sensor on the SG9663DC bringing it up to the standard of the Viofo A129, Viofo are adding buffered parking mode to the A129 (via firmware update). Both cameras are good cameras, no real need to update the processors, it is good to see updates.

The reason for new models would be to take advantage of new features available with new processors, things like 4K, 3/4 channels, H265, 1TB memory cards, lower power consumption for parking mode, etc.

That page was last updated on 5th January. Unfortunately, looking back at some of the other "Best Dash Cams of 20xx" pages, I don't think they are updated very often so they're not a definitive list of the best that is available at any given time.
Yes, that page is rewritten once per year, with a few minor updates during the year that don't keep up, but I think it is currently still up to date since there hasn't been much released this year so far...

Nigel, since you already have the B2W (as listed in your profile) you must have known this was coming before you started this thread? I suspect you also know about some other models that are in development too?
I do have an early prototype from Blueskysea which has no name on it, it is my second Blueskysea dashcam and is in the B1W family so might be their B2W "new car dash camera". I had not heard that it was called B2W until estore009 posted above, or that it is a "new car dash camera"! Of course there are other models in development, not just from Blueskysea, but I've not heard confirmation that anything else will definitely reach production or when it will arrive, like jokiin said, that can take many years, and often doesn't make it to the end.

I think the "Best of" list gets updated more than once annually sometimes. When the B1W came along it showed up on the list mid-year, with only it's competitors changing while the rest of the list remained the same. Many of us jump straight to the forums and miss some of what DashCamMan does with the home-page stuff. I make it a point to check it every 4-6 weeks now, and often find something added or changed in all of that. It's really one heck of a lot to keep up with for the one person doing it ;)

We're just 1/4 of the way into 2019 so that alone can well explain the paucity of new cams. I know of at least one not mentioned so far that will probably be released this year, and maybe soon. I'm not at liberty to say much more than to note it will fill a niche which has gone unaddressed.

5 years ago there wasn't much new hardware coming along, but that has changed although it seems like it may be stalled again. I do think we will see several more new or revised cams this year eventually.

Phil

I think your right about the evolution bit

The new Mio 798 looks like is was just launched HERE however whilst it looks to have a good resolution (1600P) whilst using the Sony STARVIS sensor the frame rates were rather surprising

1600P at 25fps
1440P at 30fps
1080P at 30fps

I think your right about the evolution bit

The new Mio 798 looks like is was just launched HERE however whilst it looks to have a good resolution (1600P) whilst using the Sony STARVIS sensor the frame rates were rather surprising

1600P at 25fps
1440P at 30fps
1080P at 30fps
Some interesting features that were not top of my list of desirables:

"The seamless device not only sits unobtrusively on your dashboard, but can also be comfortably stored in your vehicle’s glove compartment.

HUD Display Mode
Head-light reminding
Fatigue Alert
ECO Drive
Battery 240mAh"

:unsure:

Back