New 4K Starvis 2 dash camera

Can we have another “Pepsi Challenge” with the D21 4K vs. A229 Pro, (blind side by side comparison)?
Make sure the A229 Pro is in 1-CH, or 2-CH REAR configuration, (IR Interior camera not connected).
So the front camera has the full 60 Mbps Bitrate.

Can I take the SD Card out of the D21 4K, and insert it in my Chromebook and see the recorded footage?
When I did this with the FineVu GX1000 I could only access footage from the front camera, not the rear camera because you must to use FineVu’s proprietary software to access the rear camera footage.
As Ben mentioned, you can use the VLC video player (assuming its available for your computer/device) to play the video/audio streams in the AVI file. The first channel/stream/track is the front camera video content. The second channel/stream/track is the rear camera video content. The IROAD QX2 also uses an AVI file container format for the front/rear video content. VLC for Mac handles the presentation of the second window (rear camera video content) much better than the Windows VLC player does. The VLC player for windows creates a very large separate window to play the rear video content (Track 2). You can resize the newly created window that shows the rear video, but it's really annoying if you have to examine the video in several different video files.

VLC Player - Windows / VLC Player Mac
1711003161048.png1711003975551.png

Can we have another “Pepsi Challenge” with the D21 4K vs. A229 Pro, (blind side by side comparison)?
Make sure the A229 Pro is in 1-CH, or 2-CH REAR configuration, (IR Interior camera not connected).
So the front camera has the full 60 Mbps Bitrate.
Every camera is only running in 2 channel mode. no interior camera connected at all. This Saturday I will have some rear camera comparison as well and updated tunnel tests live on the channel.

VLC video player
Chromebooks cannot use the VLC player, or any other "Windows PC software".
My unwillingness to buy a Windows PC computer is why I no longer wish to test & review dash cams with H.265 codec, or anything made in Korea.
They are just not compatible with Chromebooks. lol

Attachments

• Can't View Or Play REAR Camera Footage .png
    Can't View Or Play REAR Camera Footage .png
    118.7 KB · Views: 2
  • FineVu Proprietary Software (2) .png
    FineVu Proprietary Software (2) .png
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
  • FineVu PC Player .png
    FineVu PC Player .png
    52.3 KB · Views: 2
  • FineVu Proprietary Software (1) .png
    FineVu Proprietary Software (1) .png
    60.3 KB · Views: 2
Chromebooks cannot use the VLC player, or any other "Windows PC software".
My unwillingness to buy a Windows PC computer is why I no longer wish to test & review dash cams with H.265 codec, or anything made in Korea.
They are just not compatible with Chromebooks. lol
I think korean made dash cameras are not compatible with you.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I think korean made dash cameras are not compatible with you.
Correct!
They are too advanced for my basic tech skills. lol
VLC is not a Windows specific video player. It's available for multiple platforms including Chrome OS.
Is this new?
How come you didn't tell me about this in 2022 when we were testing the FineVu GX1000?
What else are you hiding from me? lol

VLC is not a Windows specific video player. It's available for multiple platforms including Chrome OS.
Hey, it actually works!
I’ve tried 10 - 15 different video players for my Chromebook since I started testing dash cams.
This is the only one that has ever worked.
This makes me want to test the D21 4K.
@safedrivesolutions Ben can you ask your Vueroid Rep if I’m “good enough” to get a test sample of the D21 4K?
I want to compare it with the A229 Pro.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 1.56.34 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-21 2.06.46 AM.png

I take it all back.
I just tried playing footage from the Vantrue S1 Pro (H.265).
It locks up, and can’t play the video.
I don’t think my Chromebook is “powerful” enough to handle H.265.
@safedrivesolitions “Delay that order Number 1” (don’t contact your Vueroid Rep on my behalf).
If you know who said; “Delay that order Number 1” I have profound respect for you. lol

30 US states have a front license plate.
Damn 30, here i thought it was more or less the norm with just rear plates, :oops: Thank you for enlightening me.

Maybe i am biasses from TV / Movies, that seemingly always go on in a few of the states

I take it all back.
@safedrivesolitions “Delay that order Number 1” (don’t contact your Vueroid Rep on my behalf).
If you know who said; “Delay that order Number 1” I have profound respect for you. lol

???

Another fun night time video we did
Vueroid D21 4K vs Viofo A229 Pro vs Blackvue DR970X plus vs DJI OSMO Action 4 camera

Nice. You can tell the DJI Action 4 isn't doing anything with HDR. Blackvue technically isn't either, but it has much better dynamic range than the DJI and without the HDR ghosting I see in the Vueroid and the Viofo.

Another fun night time video we did
Vueroid D21 4K vs Viofo A229 Pro vs Blackvue DR970X plus vs DJI OSMO Action 4 camera

Despite the differences in brightness, color rendition, contrast, HDR/no HDR, etc. all 4 cameras produced videos that more than adequately showed what was happening and the environment.

I take it all back.
I'm by no means a Chromebook expert and I've never used one, but doing a quick Google search online, there are other people with Chromebooks who are able to playback H.265 footage.

Can you play the videos in Chrome itself?

I understand that you really want to stay with your Chromebook, but given your interest in dashcams and making videos, you may want to consider upgrading to a more suitable laptop. I mean you can pick up an M1 MacBook Air for $650 now on Best Buy, and I'm sure even less if you go used. Obviously there's faster computers with more RAM and hard drive space, etc., but that's an affordable laptop (price just dropped given the M3 MacBook Airs were just released) that should run rings around your Chromebook and make it way easier for you to both view and edit videos.

Last edited:
It is actually not a bright chrome at all. very dull colour. I dont see it being a challenge at all. The U3000 ring is more chrome then the D21

Yeah, I noticed that the ring has a brushed surface as opposed to a chrome finish, but I guess it is my general aversion to any cameras that have elements that can catch people's attention. Somewhere on a hard drive I have an old file of screen shots showing captures of passers by noticing my dash cams when parked. The expressions on their faces are really pretty funny and sometimes kind of angry looking, which was why I saved them.

Anyway, my aversion to dash cams that are less than all black stealthy designs comes from the fact that I've been using dash cams for 14 years now. In the early days of dash cams in North America you had to buy them directly from China and in those days it was very difficult to find truly stealthy looking cameras. Many featured bold looking logos, chrome parts, occasional odd colors and other forms of "bling". This was the popular norm for dash cams in China and Korea back then. Jokiin from StreetGuardian was very influencial in convincing fellow manufactuers to offer stealthy looking all black cameras with zero or minimal front facing logos and shiny metal parts for the North American and European markets and he deserves a lot of credit for that as this has become more or less the norm now.

Back in those days there was no way to know what processor or sensor was in your dash cam. DCT was one of the few sources to appear for any sort of technical imformation but I purchased my first dash cam two years before DCT came along. You basically had to hope for the best and see what showed up in your mailbox. I chose my first dash cam entirely based on the fact that it was all black with only a subtle logo, no chrome bling and that it offered 1080p resolution. Many if not most cameras around that time were only 720p but the transition to 1080p was beginning to happen in earnest. The camera has a fold down screen, two front facing white LEDS for using the camera as a hand held cam and it ran off a big replaceable cell phone battery. No supercaps back then.

My first dash camera offered impressive image quality during the day, although it was terrible in certain conditions by today's standards due to a low bit rate. After dark it was completely useless even right in front of myvehicle but it had an HDMI out port and came with the cable so I hooked it up to my flat panel TV and was blown away by my first look at the HD daytime footage! It was better than my miniDV camcorder. The camera worked ok for quite some time but became unreliable after a while and this was very typical with all dash cams back in those days.

A20 dash cam circa 2010
AT20E.jpg

Last edited:
I'm by no means a Chromebook expert and I've never used one, but doing a quick Google search online, there are other people with Chromebooks who are able to playback H.265 footage.

I understand that you really want to stay with your Chromebook, but given your interest in dashcams and making videos, you may want to consider upgrading to a more suitable laptop. I mean you can pick up an M1 MacBook Air for $650 now on Best Buy, and I'm sure even less if you go used. Obviously there's faster computers with more RAM and hard drive space, etc., but that's an affordable laptop (price just dropped given the M3 MacBook Airs were just released) that should run rings around your Chromebook and make it way easier for you to both view and edit videos.
I’m with you 100%.
I agree with everything you said.
I feel honored you’ve pulled me into the hallway trying to talk some sense into me.
I have two extenuating circumstances currently preventing me from buy a Windows PC, or MAC computer.
1.) Fixed low income
2.) Stubborn stupidity
My budget for computing power is $199 when Chromebooks go on sale at Costco.
I only buy Chromebooks from Costco because they have a 90-day return policy.
I’ve bought Chromebooks from Walmart, but they only have a 30-day return policy.
Amazon, Best Buy have restrictive return policies on Chromebooks, and restocking fees.

I used Windows PC's in my professional career, but they were always provided at the expense of my employer.
I just refuse to personally own one, after several Windows PC’s I did own crapped out after 1 year.
I started exclusively using Chromebooks in 2012, it was $200 and lasted 7 years before it crapped out.
It’s not so much I want to “stay” with a Chromebook they just have the best value per dollar ratio for 95% of my needs.
I know this kneecaps my ability to test & review dash cams with H.265, and any video format other than MP4.
But I’m kind of OK with that, because it’s turned me into an unofficial, unappointed steward for my generation, and older that are anti-tech, or low-tech.
I’m not a Boomer btw, (Gen X).
When I insert the SD Card from the Vanture S1 Pro (H.265) I can see the files, but when I try to play them it only plays the audio with a tiny blank screen like this, (just watch the first 20 seconds);

There are some Chromebooks that can play H.265, but they cost $500 or more.
And that defeats the whole purpose of a Chromebook.
They are supposed to be cheap sub $200 units for email, websurfing, watching YouTube, etc.
OK, how about this.
I’ll make you a deal.
If I ever monetize my YouTube Channel, and become an Amazon Associate, and start putting affiliate links on all my videos that will generate around $500 per month before taxes.
With that income I could justify buying a Windows PC, or MAC computer to test & review H.265 & AVI format dash cams.

Last edited:
Nice. You can tell the DJI Action 4 isn't doing anything with HDR. Blackvue technically isn't either, but it has much better dynamic range than the DJI and without the HDR ghosting I see in the Vueroid and the Viofo.
The vueroid looks better in license plate capture mode at night. I put it on HDR just to see.

Yeah, I noticed that the ring has a brushed surface as opposed to a chrome finish, but I guess it is my general aversion to any cameras that have elements that can catch people's attention. Somewhere on a hard drive I have an old file of screen shots showing captures of passers by noticing my dash cams when parked. The expressions on their faces are really pretty funny and sometimes kind of angry looking, which was why I saved them.

Anyway, my aversion to dash cams that are less than all black stealthy designs comes from the fact that I've been using dash cams for 14 years now. In the early days of dash cams in North America you had to buy them directly from China and in those days it was very difficult to find truly stealthy looking cameras. Many featured bold looking logos, chrome parts, occasional odd colors and other forms of "bling". This was the popular norm for dash cams in China and Korea back then. Jokiin from StreetGuardian was very influencial in convincing fellow manufactuers to offer stealthy looking all black cameras with zero or minimal front facing logos and shiny metal parts for the North American and European markets and he deserves a lot of credit for that as this has become more or less the norm now.

Back in those days there was no way to know what processor or sensor was in your dash cam. DCT was one of the few sources to appear for any sort of technical imformation but I purchased my first dash cam two years before DCT came along. You basically had to hope for the best and see what showed up in your mailbox. I chose my first dash cam entirely based on the fact that it was all black with only a subtle logo, no chrome bling and that it offered 1080p resolution. Many if not most cameras around that time were only 720p but the transition to 1080p was beginning to happen in earnest. The camera has a fold down screen, two front facing white LEDS for using the camera as a hand held cam and it ran off a big replaceable cell phone battery. No supercaps back then.

My first dash camera offered impressive image quality during the day, although it was terrible in certain conditions by today's standards due to a low bit rate. After dark it was completely useless even right in front of myvehicle but it had an HDMI out port and came with the cable so I hooked it up to my flat panel TV and was blown away by my first look at the HD daytime footage! It was better than my miniDV camcorder. The camera worked ok for quite some time but became unreliable after a while and this was very typical with all dash cams back in those days.

A20 dash cam circa 2010
View attachment 71459
Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing

Sorry for the off topic post. I do still like the design and form factor of the Vueroid D21 even with the metal ring. In many ways I think you could say that even with the metal ring the camera is in line with the trend in the industry I was talking about in regard to more discreet cams, especially considering the traditional predilection for showy dash cams sold in Korea.

korean.jpg

Back