New CR-500: "Check your memory card" is all I get

deutsche_mak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Folks,

Just got my CR-500 today (v. 1.00.116) from an authorized reseller. Followed all of the instructions in the box for hooking it up ( micro sd card into dvr, plug into power source in car). I keep getting a "Check your memory card" recording, and that's it. It won't do anything else.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. I took the sd card out of the dvr, and put it into the card adapter that came with it, then plugged it into my computer (Windows 7).
2. The card is recognized by my computer, and I can see all of the files on it.
3. I then took the card out of my card reader, then out of the adapter.
4. I put the card back into the dvr, connected the usb cable to the computer, then plugged the usb cable into the dvr.
5. DVR powered up, all lights on (none flashing).
6. About 15 seconds later, I get the same recording.
7. And finally, the card is now not recognized by the computer. It seems to be looking for it (as evidenced by the wonderful guitar sound of Windows 7) but never finds it. Just keeps giving me the same "Check your memory card" after the computer attempts to recognize it.

Any help is appreciated!

tried another card yet?

was the card formatted before you put it in?

where the files you could see when plugged into the PC from the camera?

jokiin said:
tried another card yet?

was the card formatted before you put it in?

where the files you could see when plugged into the PC from the camera?

Haven't tried another card yet as the camera only came with one. I did buy a sandisk 32gb that is still in the wrapper.

I think the card was already formatted since I have the files on it???? If not, then I've missed a whole step :oops: somewhere. No, the files I could see were not from the camera. It was from the card as a stand alone, plugged into the adapter, plugged into my pc. When I have the card inserted into my camera, and connected to the computer via usb, I get the same recording. It seems like Win7 looks for it, finds it (briefly,without showing it in windows explorer), loses it, then I get the recording. Then the same thing happens all over again in loop.

Here are the files:

Folder: Camcorder
Folder: CR-500HD-Parameter
Folder: Event
Folder: Normal
Folder Photo
FIle: CR-500HF_Config.exe
File: ver.txt

ok, nothing out of the ordinary, you could try another card I guess, beyond that if still no go then it sounds like a hardware issue, contact your seller I think would be the next step

In trying another card, do I just put the card into the camera, and plug it into the ciggy outlet, or do I need to do something else to the card? I've read on the FW Update forum that sdformatter should be d/l'd. Not sure if I need that since that will wipe everything off of the this card?

probably best to contact the seller and let them know where you're at before doing anything else

Will do! I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks for the insight and quick replies!!

deutsche_mak said:
Will do! I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks for the insight and quick replies!!
well couldn't really offer any help, just suggestions, hopefully the seller can give you some more help, maybe there's a recovery process or whatever, Ambarella platform cameras have this but not sure about your particular product, see how you go anyway and if you can post back what happens would be good as it may help someone else down the track

I have an issue which sounds very similiar, but its related to the PCs card reader. For what reasons ever the internal card read does not recognize micro SD-cards with more than 4GB. SD cards up to 32GB is no problem, but micro SD cards do not work.
Only with an external card reader I am able to read these cards. Problem is that if the Finevu is connected the tranfer speed is aweful slow, about 2 - 2.5 MB/s whereas in a card reader abt. 20 MB/s is usual.

But I never got the "Check you memory card" message (except once, when one external card reader is going faulty it damages the data on the card :(. After formatting it with the SD-formatter all was well again.

But if your card is not recognized every time after inserting it into your PC I would recommend to do a very deep search for any viruses which may be do an installation to a removeable media :!:
Only if you can exclude this 100/100 it is may be an iussue of the camera or the card.
Usually after inserting a new card into the camera you will find the list you posted before on that card to. The camera copies them always to a blank card as far as I experienced.

Regards

FSC830, great info, Thanks! I also contacted my reseller (per jokiin). He got back to me straight away. He advised me to reformat the sd card from the computer. He said that if the card is not configured correctly, the recording plays. So, armed with this information and the insights from other forum posts on this site, I d/l'd the sdformatter program. Here is what I did:

1. Plugged the sd card into the adapter, then plugged the adapter into my card reader
2. Ran sdformatter on Full Erase
3. Put the sd card back into the camera
4. Went to my car and plugged the power cord into the 12v outlet

All went well and the camera started recording.

I just want to thank everyone who posts to this site. I've read most of the posts on here, and without you, I don't think I'd have been able to pick a dashcam, let alone install and set one up. All of the tips and tricks are great. And I won't hesitate to ask questions as everyone here seems very willing to help out. So... many thanks to everyone here!!

Once I finish the installation, I'll give it a couple of days and post a few vid's.

I too am having this problem, I tried contacting the seller about a month ago, Pro Com Technology Corp who I purchase the camera, lens and GPS from through Ebay. All emails have not been answered.
I purchased what I thought was a top of the line camera and now 6 month later it is looking like I will be needing to buy another camera. :x

It just recently it started beeping and saying: " please check the time settings"

I connected it to my laptop and the time was correct but still it states this when I start driving. The camera has power all the time in the car and was recording and saving the info, just had the wrong time stamp. If I unplugged the cars power it will turn off immediately and loose that info. I assume the internal battery is dead.
It had been doing this for a month before the second problem started.

Now it just started beeping and saying: "check your memory card"

It keeps repeating this and will not do anything else.

I tried a different card and formatting, still the same, tried to connect to my laptop, will not connect and keeps repeating "check you memory card" every 20 seconds or so.
I reformatted the card and it is still the same.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F CR-500HD 5
E CR-500HD 5
M CR-500HD 2
Back