New F800 Pro and have questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 56879
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56879

Hi, newb here on this forum, but not a newb to forums in general. I did the full blown install (front & rear + hardwrired) into a 2016 Mustang EcoBoost today. I cursed just about all 4 hours it took doing it.
So, it's in, it's working, parking mode works, I can connect to smart phone, life is good! Except the bloody manual is rubbish.

My assumption was when I took the car out for a test drive, I would come home and be able to view my video. The only video I had was me sitting in my driveway with the engine running, or a few 30 second clips when the mustangs aggressive suspension took a few pebbles in the road. When I got home, it was about a minute before going over a few bumps and one after.

Question 1: How do I get the thing to record all the time so when I get home I can watch the entire video? I realize it breaks it into clips, so does loading it into the PC render it to one video? I went to the Thinkware site and their demo video of the F800 Pro has some very nice footage somewhere in the South West US (Utah/Nevada/Vegas...)So I know the camera can do it, now how do I set it up for that?

Question 2: WiFi vs Hotspot. I have an iPhone and I can get F800 to connect to WiFi without issue.. Hotspot is a different animal. I've done it twice, but couldn't tell you how I did it to save my life. Do I really care about either? The only reason I could see needing to connect is to either make config changes, or download video (which I can do with PC).

Question 3: Audio is erratic as others have mentioned. On some clips audio is normal... I can hear my self blabbering about why something isn't working. Other times, my eardrums get blown off, or as stated in the example above when the Mustang hit a few bumps it triggered the recording but no audio at all.

Again, sorry for all the questions, I'm new to Dash-Cams... I thought the biggest challenge was getting it installed (yeah, there is a trick to the double stick tape... being a deatailer, I know a few tricks.)
For those with the double stick tape issue, ever so lightly dip the tip of a razor blade in a small drop of goo-gone. Use that tip to pry at just one small corner of the double stick tape, and there ya go! Off in seconds! :)

Looking forward to some good answers! :) Thanks!

I don't own a F800 Pro so I can't tell you how to set it up, but it looks like you turned on your camera into parking mode with impact detection instead of normal mode.

Don't be discouraged by the hotspot mode problem, others report the same, it's not something you're doing wrong

Hi, newb here on this forum, but not a newb to forums in general. I did the full blown install (front & rear + hardwrired) into a 2016 Mustang EcoBoost today. I cursed just about all 4 hours it took doing it.
So, it's in, it's working, parking mode works, I can connect to smart phone, life is good! Except the bloody manual is rubbish.

My assumption was when I took the car out for a test drive, I would come home and be able to view my video. The only video I had was me sitting in my driveway with the engine running, or a few 30 second clips when the mustangs aggressive suspension took a few pebbles in the road. When I got home, it was about a minute before going over a few bumps and one after.

Question 1: How do I get the thing to record all the time so when I get home I can watch the entire video? I realize it breaks it into clips, so does loading it into the PC render it to one video? I went to the Thinkware site and their demo video of the F800 Pro has some very nice footage somewhere in the South West US (Utah/Nevada/Vegas...)So I know the camera can do it, now how do I set it up for that?

Question 2: WiFi vs Hotspot. I have an iPhone and I can get F800 to connect to WiFi without issue.. Hotspot is a different animal. I've done it twice, but couldn't tell you how I did it to save my life. Do I really care about either? The only reason I could see needing to connect is to either make config changes, or download video (which I can do with PC).

Question 3: Audio is erratic as others have mentioned. On some clips audio is normal... I can hear my self blabbering about why something isn't working. Other times, my eardrums get blown off, or as stated in the example above when the Mustang hit a few bumps it triggered the recording but no audio at all.

Again, sorry for all the questions, I'm new to Dash-Cams... I thought the biggest challenge was getting it installed (yeah, there is a trick to the double stick tape... being a deatailer, I know a few tricks.)
For those with the double stick tape issue, ever so lightly dip the tip of a razor blade in a small drop of goo-gone. Use that tip to pry at just one small corner of the double stick tape, and there ya go! Off in seconds! :)

Looking forward to some good answers! :) Thanks!
Hello Paul,

We are happy to answer all of your questions about the F800! As well we do have a full version of the User Manual on our website. www.thinkware.com

1) Please insure you are not connected to the app via WiFi while driving as the dash cam will not record footage until disconnected. This may have caused the no-footage after your test drive. You are able to connect with Hotspot while driving and use the Mobile App, however the WiFi connection will auto-disconnect so the device can resume normal function. When watching back footage on the PC Viewer it will play as 1 long clip (file after file) rather than individual videos.

2) For the F800 (not the Pro) Using the Hotspot connection isn't too different than using the WiFi. The main difference when using Hotspot is that you can use the app while driving and the device will still record footage, whereas the WiFi has to be disconnected for the Dash Cam to record.

3) The Audio quality can be depend on many factors such as Radio, Vehicle Type (Muscle Cars tend to be quite louder), and if the Windows are Down. All videos clips should have audio, and if some do not please let us know.

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact us at support@thinkware.com or 1-844-865-9273

1) Please insure you are not connected to the app via WiFi while driving as the dash cam will not record footage until disconnected. This may have caused the no-footage after your test drive.

Perhaps this is the case, I'll have some time today to test... Thanks!

Thanks for the input everyone, I got it all working perfectly. Blackbox My Car sent me their preferences for config, I reformatted the SSD, configured everything per their instructions and it works like a champ. Now I'm addicted to watching my dash-cam videos... It's better than anything on TV! :)

Back