New guy in Town

Spartacus2go

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I'm retired military and I have a Viofo A129 4k coming I want to install it as soon as I can, but I wanted to ask what kind of editing software are you guys using to view and edited your video or do there one come in the box, anyway thank you for your comments?

Welcome to the forum spartacus2go.

There are dedicated dashcam players, that will let you see on a map where you drive while the video play ASO, but it is not something i use as i know where i drive and can see it with my eyes looking at the video.
Some times the camera brand have their native player, or there are after market players like Dashcam viewer and DVplayer.

So i just use one of the build in media players in my windows 10 ( i think there are like 3 players in windows ) alternative you can use other players like VLC or POT player ( which i also have installed on my PC )

As for editing my videos i use powerdirector 17, but it is very basic i use it even if it have tonnes of fancy features, it is after all just simple uploads to youtube i make of silly drivers, so my main editing need is to cut the 10 seconds of "action" out of a 3 minute video segment, and then string those snippets together as one file.
Windows 10 also have a basic video editor build in now.

On youtube you can find tutorials on how to use it, as you can with any video editor out there, there are also videos like " top 5 best free video editors" ASO

My last upload was one of the "complex" ones with with a little trimming going on and PIP ( Picture In Picture ), and even adding a little effects.
So the girl in the car beside me, preoccupied with the handsome older gentleman in the camera car get a proper exposure as she run a red light.

Normally i just do little compilations of X events i have recorded, in a bam - bam - bam fashion.

Welcome to the forum spartacus2go.

There are dedicated dashcam players, that will let you see on a map where you drive while the video play ASO, but it is not something i use as i know where i drive and can see it with my eyes looking at the video.
Some times the camera brand have their native player, or there are after market players like Dashcam viewer and DVplayer.

So i just use one of the build in media players in my windows 10 ( i think there are like 3 players in windows ) alternative you can use other players like VLC or POT player ( which i also have installed on my PC )

As for editing my videos i use powerdirector 17, but it is very basic i use it even if it have tonnes of fancy features, it is after all just simple uploads to youtube i make of silly drivers, so my main editing need is to cut the 10 seconds of "action" out of a 3 minute video segment, and then string those snippets together as one file.
Windows 10 also have a basic video editor build in now.

On youtube you can find tutorials on how to use it, as you can with any video editor out there, there are also videos like " top 5 best free video editors" ASO

My last upload was one of the "complex" ones with with a little trimming going on and PIP ( Picture In Picture ), and even adding a little effects.
So the girl in the car beside me, preoccupied with the handsome older gentleman in the camera car get a proper exposure as she run a red light.

Normally i just do little compilations of X events i have recorded, in a bam - bam - bam fashion.

Thank you so much, I just received my camera today so I will be spending some time installing it and playing around with the setting. I love how you did that video and this is where I want to be, to be able to edited videos like the one you show here, great and thanks again.

The powerdirector software are not that expensive, they also have a 365 version of it that come loaded with even more stuff, but then it is a monthly subscription and i can not justify that with as little and mundane as i use the software.
As i said mine are version 17 in ultimate flavor but i think they are up to version 19 by now.
Before i used pinnacle studio ultimate, which are much like power director so the switch was easy
As with most software's you can find tutorials about doing just about anything with them on youtube, but the simple stuff do not require that you have a degree in rocket science.

As you probably know dashcams record in little segments but any time you can drop 100 of say 3 minute segments into your editing software and then mix them to be one large video, but you be hard pressed to find anyone that want to sit and watch your 300 minute long drive.

As a dashcam tester i have plenty of cameras in my car, so all 4 sides are covered and then some most often, so having upwards of 10 cameras in my car are not uncommon but most often i go for just a few of them for the footage for my uploads.

Looking forward to see some of the PNW, which with my meager knowledge of US geography are not bad at all. (y)

Yeah, I'm in the Seattle/Tacoma Washington area I did twenty-eight years in the Army and I got out here. I was able on Windows 10 to find Power Media Player so how good is that one or should I look for some more, I've haven't check out the ones you mentions but I will?

If you right click on a video file you can get some options as to what to open that file with, there is the standard windows media player, and then there is the one called movies and TV ( or "Film og TV" on my Danish language windows )
you can see there is a difference how the handle the same video in this video of mine where i open the same 4K video ( of my computer ) in 3 different players in each its own window, and you can see the film and TV player and VLC have better colors VS the media player that have kind of a haze to it.

I now have potplayer as my default player, if also come with a set of codecs which some times come in handy for some files the player will not play if it dont have a matching codec.

Okay, got it I going to download potplayer now and see if I can work with that one, if I can get one player and focus on that one I will continue to use that one.

I do have another question, I received my Viofo dash cam today and I was trying to connect to it, I don't have wi-fi on my phone but I have unlimited data on my phone, so will I be able to use the data on my phone? Thank you again for all of your help to get me going.

If you right click on a video file you can get some options as to what to open that file with, there is the standard windows media player, and then there is the one called movies and TV ( or "Film og TV" on my Danish language windows )
you can see there is a difference how the handle the same video in this video of mine where i open the same 4K video ( of my computer ) in 3 different players in each its own window, and you can see the film and TV player and VLC have better colors VS the media player that have kind of a haze to it.

I now have potplayer as my default player, if also come with a set of codecs which some times come in handy for some files the player will not play if it dont have a matching codec.

Okay sir, if you can help me out a little but in Potplayer how do I focus in on license plates or can I do this on this software?

Okay, got it I going to download potplayer now and see if I can work with that one, if I can get one player and focus on that one I will continue to use that one.

I do have another question, I received my Viofo dash cam today and I was trying to connect to it, I don't have wi-fi on my phone but I have unlimited data on my phone, so will I be able to use the data on my phone? Thank you again for all of your help to get me going.
Potplayer is my go-to viewer now. VLC was easier to use but wasn't being nice with h.265 and high-bitrate cams, possibly due to my old slow computer. But PotPlayer works with everything. I still haven;'t gotten deep enough into it to know all the functions. Dashcam Viewer probably has the most features for zooming etc but again I haven't used it much. Most folks here seem to use specific video editing software to do things with the files instead of a viewing platform ;)

On the phone, I don't know how your carrier handles things but I discovered that with AT&T "data" refers to texting only, use as a wifi "hotspot" is separate. They have poor plan choices so at the low end you get either good data and little hotspot or the reverse. Getting both together takes a top-end plan :mad: There are programs like "fox.fi" which 'fool' the carrier into thinking your hot-spot is data allowing you to get out cheaper. I've got it but I haven't tried it; the friend who set mine up uses his regularly on another carrier with no issues.

Phil

TBH i dont know how to zoom using potplayer, it is rare i do anything but just play stuff.
Using digital zoom at least on 1080p footage also do little in regard to being able to read a plate, with a 4K camera you can use 4X digital zoom and still have a image no worse then 1080p footage, but using 4x zoom on a 1080p footage will make your image worse then the TV signal of our youth.

In my editing software there are zoom which i also use for some of my demo videos on how a camera capture plates at the Danish 80 km/h /50 mph, in editing software's at least zoom is one of the basic features.

While i do use plate capture in my testing of dashcams, then i only use it to compare VS another camera on the windscreen, as i general quality stamp i dont think it is worth much as it do not take much before any camera are not able to do it.
Even the cheapest dashcams generally do plate capture just as good as a expensive camera if the conditions are good, and when light start to dwindle it is not like a cheap camera start to loose plates way before a good camera.
This time of the year, with there almost all the time being cloud cover in Denmark it is almost impossible for me to get a plate capture ( at highway speed ) even at noon, but if the skies clear out and i can see the sun it is fine.
Same go on a splendid summer day, drive into the shade of a building or in your case tall trees lining the road making shade, and plate capture at once become a problem.

Just googled smarted myself, so in potplayer you have.

D - F keys ( skip back or forth 1 frame at the time )
numpad 9 - 1 ( zoom in or out )
Ctrl + numpad 6 - 4 ( move window Right or left )
Ctrl + numpad 8 - 2 ( move window up or down )

Bunch of keyboard shorthuts for potplayer.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm retired military and I have a Viofo A129 4k coming I want to install it as soon as I can, but I wanted to ask what kind of editing software are you guys using to view and edited your video or do there one come in the box, anyway thank you for your comments?

Dashcam Viewer – By Earthshine Software, hands down.

"DV" as i understand it do indeed have some basic "editing" features build in, but to me it sound like OP are asking for a little more.
But yes DV are a excellent piece of software, well supported by the guy who make it, i also have it though it is locked into my SG brand cameras.
But i dont really use it, same as with registrator viewer ( no longer a option ) back in the day, it was nifty as a new person in dahscams, but after that fizzed out i just want to see the video and care little about the meta data.

But the asking price for Dashcam Viewer are decent, and the feature set are rich indeed, if you are that way inclined it is a excellent option to support a little local company / guy.

TBH i dont know how to zoom using potplayer, it is rare i do anything but just play stuff.
Using digital zoom at least on 1080p footage also do little in regard to being able to read a plate, with a 4K camera you can use 4X digital zoom and still have a image no worse then 1080p footage, but using 4x zoom on a 1080p footage will make your image worse then the TV signal of our youth.

In my editing software there are zoom which i also use for some of my demo videos on how a camera capture plates at the Danish 80 km/h /50 mph, in editing software's at least zoom is one of the basic features.

While i do use plate capture in my testing of dashcams, then i only use it to compare VS another camera on the windscreen, as i general quality stamp i dont think it is worth much as it do not take much before any camera are not able to do it.
Even the cheapest dashcams generally do plate capture just as good as a expensive camera if the conditions are good, and when light start to dwindle it is not like a cheap camera start to loose plates way before a good camera.
This time of the year, with there almost all the time being cloud cover in Denmark it is almost impossible for me to get a plate capture ( at highway speed ) even at noon, but if the skies clear out and i can see the sun it is fine.
Same go on a splendid summer day, drive into the shade of a building or in your case tall trees lining the road making shade, and plate capture at once become a problem.

Just googled smarted myself, so in potplayer you have.

D - F keys ( skip back or forth 1 frame at the time )
numpad 9 - 1 ( zoom in or out )
Ctrl + numpad 6 - 4 ( move window Right or left )
Ctrl + numpad 8 - 2 ( move window up or down )

Bunch of keyboard shorthuts for potplayer.

Yes, yes this is what I'm talking about and thank you sir.

No worries here to please :)

Hey guys I'm getting ready to install my camera and when I do I will ask some more questions so I can get up and running.

Okay guys, after installing my dashcam and playing around with it am starting to play around with the dashcam viewer software, the free one of course. So when I load the video and try to play it the front cam play good but when I try to load the one for my rear cam the software is saying, "You are trying to load one or more 2nd channel videos by themselves, You must load the 1st channel videos and the corresponding 2nd channel videos will be loaded automatically. So why I can't load the video for my rear cam? Thank you guys for all of your comments.

Okay guys, after installing my dashcam and playing around with it am starting to play around with the dashcam viewer software, the free one of course. So when I load the video and try to play it the front cam play good but when I try to load the one for my rear cam the software is saying, "You are trying to load one or more 2nd channel videos by themselves, You must load the 1st channel videos and the corresponding 2nd channel videos will be loaded automatically. So why I can't load the video for my rear cam? Thank you guys for all of your comments.
The rear videos need to be loaded with the corresponding front videos in dash cam viewer. The issue is that the file names need to correspond. I have found that the A139 names them something like 2020_1108_134121_F and 2020_1108_134121_R but sometimes the last file must save slightly later and have the name 2020_1108_134122_R instead which stops dashcam viewer linking the 2 files. If you change the last number so it matches the front file it then works correctly.

Back