New HK5 Hardwire Kit For VIOFO VS1

Panzer Platform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2024 Minimum Requirements: STARVIS 2 & HDR
@viofo @VIOFO-Support @rcg530

I just noticed there is a new HK5 Hardwire Kit specifically for the VS1 available for purchase on the official Viofo website;
Does anybody know what the difference is between the new HK5, and previous HK4, (aside from the $1.00 price increase)?

HK5 For VS1  .pngHK4 .png
VS1 .png

I would assume it was just a little more powerful, for current and future models, but both do say 5V2A
I am sort of liking this new way of integrated CPL filter

I have not been told anything about the HK5 hardwire kit. My testing of the VS1 has been using the HK4 hardwire kit to power it.

If there is no change in the functioning or working principle, only the tip looks different. when you look closely it's 20+24 awg.

The new type has slightly longer horizontal plastic. In this way, it will be more durable as it will be more tightly integrated with the camera. And it seems to create a more stylish appearance.

If we get help from @rcg530's visual,
vs1_in_car_01-png.70251

viofo-type-c-hk5-hardwire-kit-for-vs1-dash-camera.jpg

hk4 is a bit longer. And while vs1 stands out with its small size, hk4 will hang a little more to the side.

If it is such an update, it will also suit wm1.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what the difference is between the new HK5, and previous HK4, (aside from the $1.00 price increase)?
At first glance, the only difference is the USB plug.

When connecting the new HK5 to the DVR, the cable will be closer to the model itself and there will not be such a large angle as
in the screenshot above when connecting the HK4 to the VS1. When connecting the HK4 to the Mini 2, this angle is not so noticeable.

Last edited:
@viofo @VIOFO-Support @rcg530

I just noticed there is a new HK5 Hardwire Kit specifically for the VS1 available for purchase on the official Viofo website;

View attachment 70313View attachment 70314
View attachment 70315

Except for the plug, the quiescent current on the HK5 is smaller than HK4, so it is more compatible with VS1.

Except for the plug, the quiescent current on the HK5 is smaller than HK4, so it is more compatible with VS1.
When using the hardwire kit, how do we turn off the camera?
The user manual does not list a power button, or power down function.
Should we just disconnect the Type-C plug?

Attachments

• No Power Button .png
    No Power Button .png
    298.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Mtz
Yes, there is no power button, you need to unplug the power cable to turn it off.
It is such a small unit and so easy to slide off its base that I think it would even be faster just to pull the unit and cable off.

Yes, there is no power button, you need to unplug the power cable to turn it off.
“Everyone” who uses the hardwire kit for parking mode wants to turn off the camera when they are parked at home in their garage so they don’t put unnecessary wear & tear on their vehicle battery, and fill up the SD Card with useless footage.
Disconnecting the power cable every day after returning home is not acceptable.
No power button, or power down function is a design flaw.
Is it possible to “program” a power down function by short pressing the MIC button 4 times, similar to resetting the camera by short pressing the MIC button 5 times with a firmware update?

“Everyone” who uses the hardwire kit for parking mode wants to turn off the camera when they are parked at home in their garage so they don’t put unnecessary wear & tear on their vehicle battery, and fill up the SD Card with useless footage.
Is it possible to “program” a power down function by short pressing the MIC button 4 times, similar to resetting the camera by short pressing the MIC button 5 times with a firmware update?
@viofo @VIOFO-Support

Because the unit is so tiny it could be programmed to shutdown when both the mic and lock video buttons are pressed at the same time.

It will depend on Joe the program reads the key presses eg it may not be able to see both buttons being pressed at the same time.

Something for viofo to consider?

Thanks for your suggestion! (y) We have forwarded this to our engineer and they will evaluate if it can be realized.

Because the unit is so tiny it could be programmed to shutdown when both the mic and lock video buttons are pressed at the same time.
I already proposed that option to VIOFO during my pre-production testing. I was told that they could not detect when both buttons were being pressed at the same time.

Sometimes some situations may not occur.
For example, when traveling by plane, we cannot choose both the aisle seat and the window seat.

will prefer this camera that does not need to be turned off.

Now a question came to my mind...
For example, if 30 minutes is selected from the parking mode timer, will the camera turn off 30 minutes after parking?

@viofo @VIOFO-Support

I haven't received the camera yet, but here's a suggestion for you;

This camera has a voice command feature.
(turn off camera)
The camera can be turned off by voice command. Pressing any key to open it would be a very good solution. Or it will turn on when you turn on the ignition.
I would appreciate it if you could forward it to your engineers.

Last edited:
here's a suggestion for you;

This camera has a voice command feature.
(turn off camera)
Viofo dash cams with voice controls are being reported as taking photos, locking events, etc. inadvertently.
This is because there is no guard phrase like “OK Viofo” similar to;
OK Garmin, Hey Siri, Hey Alexa, etc.
If the camera inadvertently turns off from a voice command while driving that would be a disaster.

Disaster?

A sound notification can be added to inform that the camera is turned off.

Yes, it is easy to find problems.
It is also necessary to be able to produce solutions.

So if there is a problem, there is definitely a solution. If there is no solution, there is no problem.

I think @viofo will solve this very simply.

I already proposed that option to VIOFO during my pre-production testing. I was told that they could not detect when both buttons were being pressed at the same time.

I didn't see you post this solution. Did you post it?

I didn't see you post this solution. Did you post it?
No. It was one of the pieces of feedback that I gave VIOFO during the prototype testing period.

Back