New owner a119 v3

Even if the voltage is lower than cutoff, it should still wake up when you turn on the ignition / start the engine.
It should then turn off again after a few minutes of you turning the ignition off and the voltage being lower than cutoff.

How long is it reasonable to expect it to remain in parking mode 7 to 8 hours or more? I guess it depends on how old the car battery is etc
Depends how long you run the engine for, and how large your battery is, and how powerful your alternator is, and what type of battery your car has...

Could try and work it out, but it is easier to just test it!

Even if the voltage is lower than cutoff, it should still wake up when you turn on the ignition / start the engine.
It should then turn off again after a few minutes of you turning the ignition off and the voltage being lower than cutoff.

Depends how long you run the engine for, and how large your battery is, and how powerful your alternator is, and what type of battery your car has...

Could try and work it out, but it is easier to just test it!

Thats what i would have expected after a few minutes for it to stop recording due to cut off but in this case it recorded for at least an hour or so could have been longer but i had to go out in the car

Its been parked up since 7pm so far i can still see the rec light flashing, will check periodically to determine how long it will stay on for before the dashcam switches off due to cut off at 12v

@Nigel So the dashcam has switched off after 1 hour 30 minutes :(

Real shame as i would have expected minimum 6 to 8 hours!

Other than replacing the car battery, are there any other solutions? Could i fit a external battery pack?

@Nigel So the dashcam has switched off after 1 hour 30 minutes :(

Real shame as i would have expected minimum 6 to 8 hours!

Other than replacing the car battery, are there any other solutions? Could i fit a external battery pack?
How long was it charged for?
If it was only 5 minutes then that is fine!

Also, what sort and size of battery is it?

How long was it charged for?
If it was only 5 minutes then that is fine!

Also, what sort and size of battery is it?

How long was what charged for? Are you referring to the dashcam? I didn't know it can be charged!

Does the dashcam charge whilst on? If so i did a 2 hour drive a couple of days ago

How would i know whether the dashcam is partially or fully charged?

The dashcam doesn't have a battery, parking mode runs on the car battery until the low voltage cutoff turns it off. Then you have to recharge the car battery by running the engine, how long you run the engine for determines how long the parking mode will last before low voltage cutoff.

A 2 hour drive should give 24 hours easily.

The dashcam doesn't have a battery, parking mode runs on the car battery until the low voltage cutoff turns it off. Then you have to recharge the car battery by running the engine, how long you run the engine for determines how long the parking mode will last before low voltage cutoff.

A 2 hour drive should give 24 hours easily.

That's what i would have expected too, im scratching my head as to what i can do next the parking modes in my case are pretty pointless only option i see is to only enable it when it is a must :(

The car is a mercedes c class 2011 year

I got to test the K2S system, and also run it in parking mode ( time lapse )
At first i used 12.4 V as cut off, but as i recall that only gave me 2 hours or so of use, so i changed it to 12.2 V and then i got a lot longer parking mode.
But this was 2019 and in my little car ( with a little battery ) from 2012.

Then this year getting to test the SG9663DR me and other testers had some issued with the camera reverting to the default time/date, and after messing around with that for a while then i put a new and slightly larger battery in my car, and then the problem with the SG camera evaporated for me.

Mind you the battery was fine and my car was starting just fine, so had it not been for this issue with a dashcam i would for sure still have the factory battery in my car.

@Nigel @kamkar Tomorrow I'll set it to minimum 11.8v and report back

My car is on the original battery, it has never been replaced and the car always starts first time

That is pretty low, but it will be okay just to see if that extend the time you get perking mode.
If that give you more time, then you probably should consider a new car battery.

Of course you need to be sure your car battery are charged 100%, so each test start in the same place.

@Nigel @kamkar Tomorrow I'll set it to minimum 11.8v and report back

My car is on the original battery, it has never been replaced and the car always starts first time
If it is an AGM battery then 11.8v is the right setting, I don't know what type of battery it would be for that car model.

If it is an AGM battery then 11.8v is the right setting, I don't know what type of battery it would be for that car model.

Yep its an AGM battery, car has stop start

O :eek: i cant fight in that class, my little Suzuki have a battery around 1/2 the size of that.
Then again dont use parking mode, but i must test it if i am given a chance by whoever sent me a camera to beat on, so if possible i use the timer cut off of 1 hour, that way i get all my shopping covered and dont waste battery parking at home.

@Nigel I've resigned myself to only use parking mode recording only if i need to. It would have been ideal if there was a toggle switch on the side of the dashcam to enable/disable parking mode, rather than having to go into the settings all the time

Also I mentioned a couple of posts back that the auto event detection wasn't working properly when i would put my hand in front of the lense or the windscreen it wouldn't trigger a recording. It had fixed itself and was working as expected triggering when i put my hand in front of the lense etc

Well I'm back in the same position the dash cam is misbehaving again, it only started playing up when i disconnected the camera and connected it to my laptop to watch the recordings upon putting the dashcam back in the car, the auto event detection is playing up again and not recording when i put my hand in front of the lense

So I'm only going to use parking mode only when i need to which is a shame :(

The camera has a power button, if it is set for parking mode then you can press the power button to turn it off, if it is set for no parking mode then you can press the power button to turn it back on. Assuming you have the HK3 hardwire kit so that it has power continuously and knows when the ignition is on.

(Don't think I've actually tested that on the A119, but the other Viofo cameras work that way.)

the auto event detection is playing up again and not recording when i put my hand in front of the lense
Could that be due to low light levels? I'm sure it's not because you unplugged it.

Could that be due to low light levels? I'm sure it's not because you unplugged it.
I wouldn't think so, as i was putting my hand across the lense inside the car

The camera has a power button, if it is set for parking mode then you can press the power button to turn it off, if it is set for no parking mode then you can press the power button to turn it back on. Assuming you have the HK3 hardwire kit so that it has power continuously and knows when the ignition is on.

(Don't think I've actually tested that on the A119, but the other Viofo cameras work that way.)

Ah ok, I'll give it ago, for now I've just disabled parking mode. If and when i do use it I'll stick with low bitrate recording which is continuous recording to be on the safe side.

Back