New Panorama X2 wont power on.

Napsterbater

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama X2
So I just installed this unit yesterday (From Pier 28 via Amazon), and it already had 1.02.04 (if I remember correctly).

So today I wired it up with quick temp power in the car made sure it turned on played with it a bit and set a few settings, driving mode only was the main one and 12.4v(?Highest setting) cutoff, formated the cards, etc, before truly starting the install.

After getting it installed now, it wont do anything, I left it unplugged for a bit (30mins) and plugged it back in still nothing, no logo, no sound, no hint of backlight on the screen, I took the cards out and replugged it, still nothing.

I have a few questions, now.

I see this device has a capacitor, how long can it hold its charge?
What exactly does the capacitor provide power to? I.e. can part of the camera still be running on capacitor power?
Is there a "Reset" button hidden on the device like some devices have? or do you have to let the capacitor drain? or does it matter?
Should the device power up with battery power is applied to the yellow wire only? or should it wait for ACC power?

Ill check/confirm power at the plug tomorrow with a multimeter. I know there is power where it hooks to the car though.

Anything else to try?

Thanks.

It's likely the power cables are not quite right. Please PM me your info and I'll send a second test cable connected to a cigarette lighter adapter to help you troubleshoot easier. I don't have the exact time out drain specs handy.

It's likely the power cables are not quite right. Please PM me your info and I'll send a second test cable connected to a cigarette lighter adapter to help you troubleshoot easier. I don't have the exact time out drain specs handy.

Alright I will, heck, even if its just a normal cable I can manage as well. What is the pinout/polarity on the plug for the camera? Im at the firehouse and brought everything for the install but a multimeter so Ill try and check that tomorrow as well.

I hope its not the power cable, because that was a pain heh.

I hope its not the power cable, because that was a pain heh.

Exactly, that's why I'd like to make your life easier by sending you a second power cable connected to an Enercell 270-028 adapter just to test/confirm. So far every support call with this problem ended up being a wiring problem. Anything is possible with electronics from time to time though so we'll sort it out either way. I'm shipping it out today.

0685efc7acf4b65151e39d9e6726ef83.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, now that is service. I very much appreciate it.

Ok the new cable is on the way.

PS it could be the fuse is bad. There is a in-line clam shell cylinder shaped fuse holder that is part of the X2 power cable. Open that up and check it's good. The new cable I'm sending will have the fuse you need.

Ok the new cable is on the way.

PS it could be the fuse is bad. There is a in-line clam shell cylinder shaped fuse holder that is part of the X2 power cable. Open that up and check it's good. The new cable I'm sending will have the fuse you need.

I did visually check the fuse, it look ok, but ill check it with a multimeter when I get home in a few hours.

It most likely the fuse as @Pier28 states. Once your up and running you may want to go to FW 1.01.09 as it is stable. Do not repeat do not update FW if you having power related issue. Doing so may brick your unit.

I was thinking about that, but like you said, I want to get the power working/stable first.

Ok, good news. When I got home I checked the inline fuse with a multimeter it checked out, wired the power wire same as I had yesterday and tried to test the power at the plug but my multimeter probe was to big to make contact inside of the plug, so I plug the camera up as a shot in the dark and it powered right up, no clue why it wouldn't yesterday but after it sitting unpowered for about 18hrs it decided to come on. I Know working with with electronics they have a mind of their own sometimes and that is what I am checking this up to.

I took it for a test drive and everything seems to be checking out fine, Ill work on dropping the firmware back to 1.01.09 soon.

Ok, good news. When I got home I checked the inline fuse with a multimeter it checked out, wired the power wire same as I had yesterday and tried to test the power at the plug but my multimeter probe was to big to make contact inside of the plug, so I plug the camera up as a shot in the dark and it powered right up, no clue why it wouldn't yesterday but after it sitting unpowered for about 18hrs it decided to come on. I Know working with with electronics they have a mind of their own sometimes and that is what I am checking this up to.

I took it for a test drive and everything seems to be checking out fine, Ill work on dropping the firmware back to 1.01.09 soon.

Electronics, they can be as unpredictable as women ;)

Women, the alternative name for chaos theory.
"Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future."

I would still be concerned if you have issues the fuse may it it. Only thing you touched was the fuse. When you go to do an update make sure car is running and unit is on for a couple minutes without issues

I would still be concerned if you have issues the fuse may it it. Only thing you touched was the fuse. When you go to do an update make sure car is running and unit is on for a couple minutes without issues

I didn't remove the fuse, infact I couldn't with feeling like I was gonna break it, its secured very well, and the wiring into the fuse is also secured well, I tested the fuse in place with both ends of the power cable not attached/plugged in.

I have made a few trips now and I have not had any more issues at all, I still think it got a but up its but and letting it sit and the capacitor discharge 100% allowed it to "reset" and come back to life, I have no way to prove it, but its a hunch.

Back