New reason for dash cam in Las Vegas

johnf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Starting this Monday, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department will no longer respond to non-injury car accidents. They are recommending to just move you car out of traffic and exchange information, get your car towed if necessary, and let your insurance company sort it out.

This has a few implications I can think of -
No more tickets issued to the offender of any non-injury accident.
More 'road rage' incidents caused by minor accidents.
Insurance rates are likely to increase, and insurance investigators will be doing the work previously done by police in non-injury accidents.

Most important, it will be very important to document any accident you are involved in. A good part of that could be dash cam video. Although police and courts may be reluctant to place much value in that video, I know that insurance companies will place a GREAT deal of importance in it. Also, if the other person(s) involved in an accident are made aware that you have a dash cam, they are less likely to give you a hard time or play blame games.

John F

In a lot of places of the world, what you described is the norm. Police aren't there to handle the situation. Yet I am surprised at their stance on this issue, since the norm in the US is to call an officer, especially if the car can not be driven away. Maybe in a small accident, you can exchange info and be done, yet their are so many circumstances, as you described, that it doesn't always work. Sounds as if it will make insurance scams a bit easier.

I'm guessing this will drive sales of dash cams up in Vegas and end a part of the famous saying. Now what happens in Vegas may end up on YouTube.

It has allways been like that here, no one hurt or killed, and traffic not completely blocked no cops will come.

I had my first car rammed by a drunken guy, shortening my 1967 Volvo with 80 - 100 cm. so i went to a house and called the cops on 000 witch was the 911 here back then.
Got thru to a cop and told him i had been rammed by a drunken guy in a truck, i was told this is not our problem, dial 133000 witch back then was the direct line to the detective cops.
But hey, so i called that number, and got to talk with the samm god damm cop, and this time he just gave me a BS speech about contacting my Insurance Company, Again disragarding i was saying the guy who hit my car was drunk. ( and the guy was so drunk he could hardly stand up )

So having no luck on the phone i left the house to go back to my car, and when i got up on the street i saw i patrol car pass slowly by, then i walked 150-200 M to my car and again a cop car passed by the 2 totally trashed cars and 4 ppl waving ther hands to get them to stop, the second cop car was a crew transport van with 2 cops inside.

Since that day i have had no respect for Danish police, or for that matter the ppl who make the laws here, and this happned more than 27 years ago. :rolleyes:

I would set up shop on the strip.

Dashcams - Dashcams - Dashcams, come and buy dashcam lovers, we have 720 p dashcams, we have 1080 p dashcams, we even have dualcam dashcams, if we dont got them you dont want them ;)

Last edited:
2014 is truly going to be the start of DashCam's becoming popular and necessary in North America. The education process has only just begun.

I would set up shop on the strip.

Dashcams - Dashcams - Dashcams, come and buy dashcam lovers, we have 720 p dashcams, we have 1080 p dashcams, we even have dualcam dashcams, if we dont got them you dont want them ;)
I am thinking of just this, as well as installing with custom wiring for a price if they don't want it plugged into a cigarette lighter. Hmmm, a mobile install service. Provide 30 minutes of training, enough to get files off if needed. Mobile service will provide file download to a USB stick if they don't want to learn to do it themselves. Carry just a few different cameras, 3 different price points. G1W-C for the cheapie. People have money here, I think this could really work. Don't tell anyone, lets keep this a secret until I'm set up :)

What other cameras to carry? Maybe Lukas 7900 because of the better heat tolerance?

John F

7700 would be better or both 7700 and 7900, price is fantastic on the 7700 and the public aren't going to notice the difference between Sony and Samsung sensors?

Same here though, generally you only call the cops if someone is injured or things get silly (someone gets unnecessarily angry/argumentative) - which they shouldn't since most insurance co.s recommend the basic - exchange details and let them argue the case later, i.e. no need for discussion about blame etc

I agree with John F. this will make dashcams much more viable in Vegas or any other place where police are not getting involved in non-injury accidents.

Same thing happens in NYC since I can remember. It was not a rule that they wouldn't come if no one is injured, they may come, but not many people are willing to wait for hours.

Back