New Safety Rules Weighed for Magnets sold to Adults

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
I decided to post this thread in the DIY forum rather than the Off Topic forum because it will probably be of particular interest to DIYers working with neodymium magnets, especially in the US market. (for now)

There was an article in yesterday's New York Times (9/11/14) regarding apparent safety issues regarding children ingesting rare earth magnets. There have been some severe injuries and fatalities when two or more neodymium magnets pinch together in the intestines cutting off blood supply to the stomach.

Much of the controversy has revolved around spherical magnets marketed as desktop novelty toy items for adults forcing at least one company marketing their product known as "Buckyballs" to shut down.

Magnets in children's toys have been regulated in the United States for many years but now under consideration are laws and regulations restricting the sale of, size of and power of magnets to adults. New standards are to be voted on in the next few weeks that would require magnets to be either too large for a child’s throat, or only about one-fiftieth as powerful as a Buckyball and other similar products. The founder of a company in Denver known as Zen Magnets which has been under pressure about its products says, I think limitations are appropriate, but I think what they’re going for is not just limitation. They’re going for a death penalty for the product category.

It remains to be seen how this type of regulation might effect DIY hobbyists or whether the restrictions might be limited to consumer products and magnet "sets" rather than "specialty items and parts" but our overprotective nanny state in its typical inimitable way may be about to make things difficult for us DIYers and so I wanted to make our dash cam DIYer community aware of this development.

Read the New York Times article HERE.

Last edited:
Good reminder about the potential danger. Not to hijack the thread, but button batteries are also dangerous if swallowed by younglings.

Good reminder about the potential danger. Not to hijack the thread, but button batteries are also dangerous if swallowed by younglings.

You are quite right, hazards to small children require much caution and vigilance but they haven't regulated button batteries out of the market place, have they? That's really the point of my post.

" ... but they haven't regulated button batteries out of the market place, have they?"

Not yet. :)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...egulation-for-button-cell-batteries/index.htm

Hah! It figures. Certainly, measures that protect children are worthwhile. I'm just not a fan of banning things like batteries or magnets that otherwise have important uses. It's a question of parents and other adults being educated, responsible and as I said before, vigilant. Interestingly the article you cited is from 2011. I wonder whether the proposed legislation ever passed?

"Nanny State" comes to mind. Citizens should be vigilant in making sure that we strike a good balance.

I mentioned "Nanny State" too in my initial post about this but yes, it's good to strike a balance. The problem I think is that many of our legislators often take a narrow view or act on the behalf of special interests. One can be sure that if the "rare earth toy magnet" industry was big enough and had lobbyists, the "balanced" legislation wouldn't end up being quite so balanced. Curiously, "rare earth magnets" and similar elements are part of a group of vital strategic metals mostly controlled and increasingly restricted by China so there are indeed many lobbyists involved in neodymium magnets regulation. They are used in many products ranging from hybrid electric cars to smartphones to modern weaponry. There may well be machinations involved in regulating these things that go beyond children swallowing them, so who knows what will happen, even on the consumer level. Time will tell here.

Last edited:
Back