New VIOFO Firmware?

I don't like the larger files, it will significantly impact SD storage capability and I think in parking mode 2K looked ok.
There is nothing wrong with having 4K files, the issue is only the file size, which is controlled by the bitrate. As long as the bitrate is low then there isn't a problem.

400 MBytes for a 3 minute file isn't very big, but I wouldn't say that it is low bitrate either. Does the file contain a lot of movement, in which case the larger size might be justified, or are some of the large files movement free?

The v1.3_240612 A229 Pro front camera firmware was already creating 4K low bitrate parking mode video.

View attachment 74511

The older v1.1_240227 firmware was creating 2K low bitrate front camera parking mode video.

View attachment 74512
This makes sense and is consistent with the camera screen VIOFO sent in parking mode with the 0612 firmware.
What does NOT make sense is VIOFO's statement to me yesterday:

"Regarding the issue you mentioned about the increased size of parking files.
Because our new firmware has adjusted the parameters of the parking mode video compared to the old firmware.
In parking mode, the video of the front road is 4K, so the file size will increase.
The old firmware that was updated before automatically switched to 2K quality in parking mode, so the file size of the front camera is the same as that of the rear camera."

They claimed the 0612 firmware was 2K in low bit rate parking mode which is not correct.

There is nothing wrong with having 4K files, the issue is only the file size, which is controlled by the bitrate. As long as the bitrate is low then there isn't a problem.

400 MBytes for a 3 minute file isn't very big, but I wouldn't say that it is low bitrate either. Does the file contain a lot of movement, in which case the larger size might be justified, or are some of the large files movement free?
I am really confused. My low bit parking mode files using V1.3.1_240612 have always been 98 MB with absolutely no variation. I park consistently in the same 3 parking lots and have many different days of video. I see that @rcg530 has variable file sizes in his screen shot up to 32 MB in size.

My screenshots using V1.3.1_240913 firmware show variable file sizes above 400 MB.

Is the real question: "why are my file sizes using V1.3.1_240612 firmware always 98 MB"? Would you expect them to be variable like with my new camera with newer firmware?

I see that @rcg530 has variable file sizes in his screen shot up to 32 MB in size.
That is for a 1 minute length file, so matches your 98MB for 3 minutes.

have always been 98 MB with absolutely no variation.
It is quite possible that the new firmware has allowed files to get bigger if there is movement in the image. With twice the pixels, you will need some extra storage if things are moving, if you are to retain the quality.

If your large files are files that contain a lot of movement, then I think the 400MB is maybe reasonable, if they are largely static video then that seems too much.

OK I am starting to make sense out of this thanks to all the great help.

I reviewed parking mode footage with the new firmware 0913 and there is a clear correlation with motion and file size. We have had some unusually windy days lately and every single large parking mode file was capturing fully leafed trees swaying like crazy directly in front of the camera! Today I checked on a calm day and every single file was 98 MB.

The only reason I noticed this was because I was reviewing footage to make a decision regarding which camera to return to VIOFO (old camera with 0612 firmware vs new camera with 0913 firmware). I was concerned with the new camera since I never witnessed variable sizes files in parking mode, especially nothing as big as 446 MB with the old camera

That is for a 1 minute length file, so matches your 98MB for 3 minutes.

It is quite possible that the new firmware has allowed files to get bigger if there is movement in the image. With twice the pixels, you will need some extra storage if things are moving, if you are to retain the quality.

If your large files are files that contain a lot of movement, then I think the 400MB is maybe reasonable, if they are largely static video then that seems too much.
Makes perfect sense now. But I don't have twice the pixels with the new camera. VIOFO was in error when they said 0612 firmware was 2K video,

Here is what VIOFO said regarding what changed in 0913 Firmware:

"I reconfirmed, the parking mode resolution 4K has been switched since firmware 0612.
And we have also optimized the language translation part in the new firmware, updated the Italian voice resources, as well as the video list logic, and modified some of the recording, menu, playback resolution watermark, etc.
They are all for a better user experience."

Last edited:
Back