New vs older dash cams

speedlever

Reaction score
I have an older G1W-C I bought probably 4 or 5 years ago and hardwired in my vehicle. I had to get a buck converter to go from 12v to 5v to power it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00CBCGAL8

Do the newer dash cams still need a converter? I don't see any power supply specs listed on the Amazon page for some I'm considering. Or will the 3 wire kit take care of any power conversion that needs to be accomplished to hardwire the dash cam (Viofo, if I go that route)?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07JQ1JYPJ

Assuming that you’ve got a cigar lighter socket on the end of the buck converter then it should do as most cams still require a supply from a usb converter.

Or will the 3 wire kit take care of any power conversion that needs to be accomplished to hardwire the dash cam (Viofo, if I go that route)?
The main purpose of the 3 wire kit is to convert to 5volt USB. The cameras come with a cigar lighter socket adapter.

Assuming that you’ve got a cigar lighter socket on the end of the buck converter then it should do as most cams still require a supply from a usb converter.
No, it's hardwired into the wiring near the map lights overhead and uses a rear view mirror mount. But it should be a fairly easy job to take the converter out and replace it with the 3 wire option. I also have some Valentine1 gear wired in overhead too.

The main purpose of the 3 wire kit is to convert to 5volt USB. The cameras come with a cigar lighter socket adapter.
Perfect. That's a pretty inexpensive option. While the old converter still works, it may be time to replace it too.

No, it's hardwired into the wiring near the map lights overhead and uses a rear view mirror mount. But it should be a fairly easy job to take the converter out and replace it with the 3 wire option. I also have some Valentine1 gear wired in overhead too.

Yes I understand that the buck is hardwired but how is the dashcam wired to the buck? That is what I was referring to when I said cigar lighter adapter.

Yes I understand that the buck is hardwired but how is the dashcam wired to the buck? That is what I was referring to when I said cigar lighter adapter.
There is a USB mini cable from the buck coming out to the dashcam.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between the Viofo 3 wire kit and the Viofo USB kit?

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between the Viofo 3 wire kit and the Viofo USB kit?
The 3 wire has an adjustable low voltage cut off instead of a fixed low voltage, and it has the 3rd wire which connects to the ignition so that the camera can know when it should be in parking mode instead of having to guess by detecting lack of movement.

The 3 wire has an adjustable low voltage cut off instead of a fixed low voltage, and it has the 3rd wire which connects to the ignition so that the camera can know when it should be in parking mode instead of having to guess by detecting lack of movement.
Thanks. Looking at the Viofo site, I don't even see the USB wiring option now. Just the 3 wire. So perhaps they don't offer that any more.

Back