New xiaoimi yi camera on the horizon

very excited for this cam, any word on an ETA or price?

worried my computer can't handle 4k60 :D

No i have not heard any news in this regard.

I am looking forward to seeing how my computer and software handle 4K/30

One thing to remember, copy the file locally before trying to do anything with it. Don't try and edit or stream it from the card because the transfer rate won't be high enough. I've had issues even with full HD editing trying that. I think with 4K the big issues, if any will be memory and disc speed.

I'm personally considering bypassing the Yi 4K+ now in favour of a an MF3. Think I can manage to find some money at a struggle, so seriously thinking of going with a known good cam rather than waiting a longer time for an honest comparison to emerge. Shame really, as the 4K+ shows potential, but I won't buy anything without seeing multiple unbiased back to back video examples and these simply aren't emerging nor are any videos showing distance / true night time performance (not dusk or bright lights).

Well the yi4K+ is a action camera, and if you are going to be running with 4K/60 as a dashcam that will just violate the SD card in a degree some organization will call it torture and call for a UN resolution on the matter.
But we might be close to 4K/30 dashcams, at least i expect to see some of those soon.

The MF3 is also a new camera, but the 4K+ is even newer, and both are from similar reputable companies.

And i will be moving files from U3 card to computer before i start to work with them, and my USB 3.0 reader will do that at the max read speeds the SD card have.
I might try to play off the camera and use it as a external drive, just to see if newer chipsets have the same slow transfer speeds older chipsets have.
It would be nice if you at least could play files directly off the camera, save you the trouble of messing with the small SD cards.

Well the yi4K+ is a action camera, and if you are going to be running with 4K/60 as a dashcam that will just violate the SD card in a degree some organization will call it torture and call for a UN resolution on the matter.
But we might be close to 4K/30 dashcams, at least i expect to see some of those soon.

The MF3 is 4K30 with a 6G coated glass lens, HDR, photo merging tech for low light (takes 2 pictures at long and short exposures and merges them) and f1.8 aperture.

http://www.vicovation.com/productdetial.asp?id=34CB3554-EA8E-4DBF-90BF-200D90C4778B&lang=eng

The MF3 is also a new camera, but the 4K+ is even newer, and both are from similar reputable companies.

Yeah TBH I prefer action cams as dash cams over dash cams, because they're more versatile and often have as good if not better PQ. However, simple issue is the focusing point and availability.

And i will be moving files from U3 card to computer before i start to work with them, and my USB 3.0 reader will do that at the max read speeds the SD card have.
I might try to play off the camera and use it as a external drive, just to see if newer chipsets have the same slow transfer speeds older chipsets have.
It would be nice if you at least could play files directly off the camera, save you the trouble of messing with the small SD cards.

TBH I never take an SD card out. I usually connect the camera via USB to the pc, ignore the camera's software and just navigate to the drive representing the camera in Explorer (In Windows under "This PC" on Win 10), open the drive by clicking on it's symbol, find the video file I want, right click over it and select copy, or drag it to a folder, whichever works / is easier at the time.

On the page you link to it say
"Recording resolution goes all the way up to 2K Ultra-HD (2560 x 1440"

And under specs it say 4 mpixel sensor, i would assume thats the OV4689

Image Processor Ambarella A12
Sensor 4 Megapixels CMOS Image Sensors
Lens f/1.8, 6G Lens
View Angle 150° Diagonal Viewing Angle

Resolution

2560 x 1440 @ 30fps HDR (2K Ultra HD 1440p HDR)

2304 x 1296 @ 30fps (Extreme HD 1296p)

1920 x 1080 @ 60fps (High Speed Full HD 1080p)

1920 x 1080 @ 45fps (Full HD 1080p)

1920 x 1080 @ 30fps HDR (Full HD 1080p HDR)

1280 x 720 @ 60fps (HD 720p)

1280 x 720 @ 30fps (HD 720p)

Yeah apologies I meant to say it's 2K not 4K.

Yeah apologies I meant to say it's 2K not 4K.

I do not want to expand the discussion MF3 vs Xiaomi a, 4K+, to avoid we all go OT, so I will be brief :) : the Xiaomi is an action cam, which performs extremely well as such. It also offers 4k (at a max 30fps, as all other current top-notch action cam such as GoPro and Sony). Being an action cam, it is very versatile and can be also used as dashcam.

The Vico MF3 is only a dashcam, so far less versatile; it is also quite large for a dashcam. I own a couple of dashcams, included a Mini 0806 which I love because of its size, its video resolution (2560p), and its Ambarella processor (which can be tweaked to allow also high bitrate, such as 40 or 50Mbit....of course depending on the speed rate of the microSDXC card one decides to use). Looking at the MF3 size, specs and price, I still believe Mini 0806 is a better deal ;-)

Hi Mighty, I agree about getting off topic, but to answer your post...., I take your point about versatility, but the 4K+ is vapour ware atm and unproven for reliability. Neither the 806 or 826 seem to have any image quality even approaching that of the MF3 or 4K+. The MF3 meanwhile is here, and whilst there are some size misgivings, it appear to have excellent video day and night, hence my leanings towards the Mf3. If I'd heard numerous reports about the 4K+ and it's performance and long term reliability, then I might lean more towards that for the reasons you stated.

The MF3 is 4K30 with a 6G coated glass lens, HDR, photo merging tech for low light (takes 2 pictures at long and short exposures and merges them) and f1.8 aperture.

http://www.vicovation.com/productdetial.asp?id=34CB3554-EA8E-4DBF-90BF-200D90C4778B&lang=eng

Yeah TBH I prefer action cams as dash cams over dash cams, because they're more versatile and often have as good if not better PQ. However, simple issue is the focusing point and availability.

TBH I never take an SD card out. I usually connect the camera via USB to the pc, ignore the camera's software and just navigate to the drive representing the camera in Explorer (In Windows under "This PC" on Win 10), open the drive by clicking on it's symbol, find the video file I want, right click over it and select copy, or drag it to a folder, whichever works / is easier at the time.
This link says the cam only has a 2k resolution!

I misread that. I acknowledged that 3 posts above! The MF3 is 2K.

The human eye and what it is connected to :rolleyes: really a weak setup in some cases, and in other a marvel of evolution. :)

The human eye and what it is connected to :rolleyes: really a weak setup in some cases, and in other a marvel of evolution. :)

And in my case, both begin degrading rapidly 5.5 decades into life :p

Phil

60 frames per will be a downside for some, but voice control and EIS at 30 frames?Super!
Think selfie!

I don't know what you look like, but I don't want to see!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B YI 4K+ Action Camera 0
Matt_V939 YI 4K+ Action Camera 26
Back