Newbie looking for experience based recommendations or suggestions

TTR

Reaction score
Country
United States
As the title indicates, I'm a newbie to this forum and look for advice/recommendations for a simple & reliable dash/in-car action camera.

Little background:
I'm a vintage car enthusiast and like to record some of my drives, as far as tech goes, I'm a bit of a luddite.
I've had couple of different cameras before, including Sony HDR-AS300 and COOAU 4K Ultra HD, but looking to replace both.
Sony had been good with nice quality image recording and stability features, but has become unreliable, i.e. tends to quit on its own, initially after maybe 10 or 20 minutes, but subsequent attempts to record will get shorter and shorter from maybe a minute or two to a few seconds, rendering the efforts annoying/pointless.
COOAU, IMO is just an inexpensive junk which generally may or may not work at all, has less quality image & stability features and a short battery life, i.e. also unreliable (my wife bought it online as gift, but admitted she wasn't sure if it'll work. It didn't)
I've asked recommendations in couple of car forums, but most I've received do not seem to match my expectations/requirements.
I've also tried to look at various manufacturer websites, but like anything, be it cars, kitchen appliances or vacation cruises, their main focus is to market/sell an image (pun intended).

Basically or ideally, I would like to find something similar to aforementioned Sony with following requirements:
- Must have self-contained battery preferably long battery life (Most cars I drive do not have power outlets and some have 6V electrical systems). Can be rechargeable or replacable.
- Must come with or have a port for an external microphone that can be routed anywhere in the car (I usually route it to inside the trunk, somewhere above/near the exhaust outlet, to capture that sound rather than cabin or wind noise, latter being especially annoying in convertibles with top down, etc).
- Must be simple to operate with easy, self-contained controls or dedicated, simple remote (I don't want anything requiring a smartphone, etc or other complex digital tech).

While the price is a secondary concern, I don't wish to spend several hundred or more to find out the camera does not serve my needs/requirements.
Do any manufacturers offer demos or reasonable return policies ?

Do you need it waterproof as well?

- Must have self-contained battery preferably long battery life (Most cars I drive do not have power outlets and some have 6V electrical systems). Can be rechargeable or replacable.
There are almost no dashcams with self contained batteries, and we don't tend to recommend action cameras, because batteries don't last long, and they overheat.

I recommend that you power your dashcam from a USB battery bank, many dashcams will run happily for 24 hours from a standard 20,000mAh USB powerbank.

- Must come with or have a port for an external microphone that can be routed anywhere in the car (I usually route it to inside the trunk, somewhere above/near the exhaust outlet, to capture that sound rather than cabin or wind noise, latter being especially annoying in convertibles with top down, etc).
Not many dashcams have external microphone ports.

There is the Viofo A139 Pro, which produces nice video.

- Must be simple to operate with easy, self-contained controls or dedicated, simple remote (I don't want anything requiring a smartphone, etc or other complex digital tech).
The A139 Pro needs a smartphone if you want to change from default settings, but the default settings work fine, so really, you just need to plug it into the powerbank. It has a few buttons for basic controls, and you will know that it is working from the LED indicators and voice messages.

(External Microphone was in the options list.)

Reactions: TTR
@Nigel Thanks for your quick and informative reply.

No real need for being "water proof" as I usually just set the camera up for recording leisurely/scenic/spirited (i.e. sports car type) drives, although sometimes I'm recording "test drives" too.

I hadn't thought of the battery/power bank, which is a great idea. I had just thought in-camera batteries would keep things simpler, but you're probably right about the "heat" and that might be cause for the Sony malfunctions (I don't even know how old they are or the camera itself is as they were gifted to me years ago by a friend who had used it on his motorcycle who knows how many years).

Another "requirement" would be that the camera should have a simple(?), female thread, screw-on mounting ability as I like to mount it right behind the passenger side (front) seat or between both, allowing a forward view through the windshield, while also providing a view of the dash, including instruments, steering wheel, transmission shifter & pedals, along with drivers arms/hands & feet/legs in operation while driving.

As for the need for smartphone to change settings, I could have my wife set them with hers and leave it at that (assuming they would not revert to defaults after turning the camera off and on again).

Do you (or anyone reading this) have experience with the Viofo A139 ?

P.S. Can I edit my posts afterwards and if yes, how and is there a time limit to it ?

Back