Viofo A139 Pro - 1|2|3 Channel 4K STARVIS-2 HDR + FHD dashcam

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1+G3ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Viofo A229ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Blueskysea B4K
y4mtwDOXcfXtpsif6s60S9rcJMiZnab3DqjnzyIoExZ3EaYPb1jigtjFWemCwMMMUrW0NUO6-o6XnXAP-mR4D38_0Am4julSvMgchlHnKznFmgGS7BBiAa8ZAbNFLvhx-JMKAvF0RPztp6SB3N0AZuvY5Ta47JFVkhTCQAWQeyqjLE

The first of the Sony Starvis-2 dashcams, the "Pro" model of the popular Viofo A139 dashcam.

The A139 Pro looks and behaves very similar to the standard A139, with the only real difference being the front image sensor, and some extra processing power to handle the 4K HDR video. The standard A139 was probably the best 3 channel dashcam available, depending on requirements, but this, at the time of writing, is the best 1 channel, 2 channel, and 3 channel dashcam! Image quality being far superior to the A129 Pro and Thinkware U1000. I moved over to the A139 Pro from the Viofo A229, and there are a few things that work a little better on the A139, such as connecting the wifi. When you hear the voice announcement that the wifi is connected, you can press the connect camera button on the app, and it works, while with the A229, you need to wait a few seconds, not sure exactly how many, but if you press the app button too soon then it puts you in the setup for connecting the wifi! The A139 and A139 Pro just work correctly, it's obvious that the Pro is a new version of the standard 2K model, so you can expect all the standard features of the A139 to be working properly from release.

The A139 is designed as a taxi / Uber dashcam, with the 3rd channel covering the interior, but the Pro version is available in 1 channel, 2 channel and 3 channel versions, so you can use it for general purpose dashcam use. It is not ideal for making road movies due to having an extra wide front field of view, but since it is the only dashcam that currently has a Sony Starvis-2 image sensor, it is probably currently the best choice for road movies too!

For those wanting a top quality 2 channel dashcam, but wanting a more traditional A129 wedge shaped dashcam, I'm expecting a "Pro" version of the A229 at some point, but that is likely to be several months away. Until then, the A139 Pro 2 channel version is the one to look at. Unfortunately it is only FHD resolution at the rear, while the A229 has 2K at the rear, and the A229 Pro will likely bring some further advantages, but for now, I would sacrifice the 2K resolution to get the new front Sony Starvis-2 sensor. The Starvis-2 is only on the front image sensor at present, I expect the A229 Pro will be Starvis-2 all around.

There is plenty of information on the standard A139, so I won't go into detail on cases, cables, parking modes, etc., they seem to be identical other than the front image sensor. Same type and size of connectors, same interior and rear cameras, fully compatible with the standard model's remote cameras so no need to upgrade cabling or remote cameras, same hardwire kit, etc. So I'll just go over the new stuff, the exciting stuff!

Image Sensor - Sony IMX 678 1/1.8" STARVIS-2

The big features of the A139 Pro are the rather large 1/1.8" Sony Starvis-2 image sensor, and the HDR feature that comes with it. At the time of writing the firmware is still being optimised, so I can't say exactly how much better it is, but if we compare it to the standard A229, which is pretty similar to the standard A139 with both having a Sony IMX335 Starvis-1 image sensor, the advantages are roughly:
  • 2.25x the detail in terms of resolution (4K instead of 2K),
  • 2.25x the image area (physical size of the light collecting area for a given resolution),
  • 2.5x the dynamic range (the ability to record both dark shadows and bright highlights simultaneously),
  • half the image noise,
  • 7x the sensitivity (the result of which when used in a dashcam should be 1/7th the motion blur,
  • and ghost-free multi-exposure HDR that works well and increases the dynamic range improvement to nearly 5x.

Due to the large size of the image sensor, we have 4K resolution instead of 2K while still having the same pixel size, thus in this dashcam, there is no disadvantage of 4K in terms of night vision, and we also have the 7x sensitivity improvement due to Starvis-2! So if you are looking for the best night time dashcam, this is it, even without the HDR. The HDR is the best night time feature, letting you read any plate that reflects your headlights. If you want better than this then you need to look at a headlamp upgrade rather than a dashcam upgrade!

I didn't include bitrate in the above list, partly because it depends on how many channels you are using, and partly because I have been testing development firmware, and that doesn't necessarily have the final bitrates. The sample images below come mainly from 53.3Mb/s video, recorded as a single channel dashcam. More channels reduce the available bitrate, and the image quality does reduce, although even at a "normal" 30Mb/s recording 3 channels, the results are pretty good, it is the unimportant bits of the image that get compressed out.

Field of View

The A139 is designed primarily as a taxicam, with a lot of use in tight spaces in city centre taxi ranks, so has an unusually wide field of view, the A139 Pro continues this with the same magnification in the centre of the image but a little less fisheye, so the total field of view is a little less than on the standard A139 but still far wider than for example the A119 V3 and Mini. As a result a lot of the extra resolution from the 4K sensor is used up giving extra field of view rather than extra magnification. Some people, such as those that do a lot of low speed city driving, will like this, others, who maybe want to be able to read plates at a distance in other lanes on the highway, might prefer to choose a dashcam with narrower field of view, such as the A229 Pro.

The resolution options on the A139 Pro include 4K(3840)x2160 (aspect ratio 16:9) and 4Kx1600 (aspect ratio 21:9). Having a wide angle lens, it is wide angle in both horizontal and vertical, the horizontal is useful for recording more of what is happening around you, the extra vertical field of view is rarely going to be of use, it is better to use the storage (bitrate) for extra detail in the useful part of the image, soI recommend using the 4Kx1600 21:9 aspect ratio setting. Also note that if you are using 3 channels then using the 16:9 4K setting will drop the frame rate to 24 fps, while with 4Kx1600 it will still use 30fps with 3 channels. Due to the wide angle lens, the 21:9 aspect ratio still has a similar vertical field of view to an A119 V3 using the normal 16:9 aspect ratio, but a much wider horizontal field of view.

Power
As might be expected, the 4K Pro version of the A139 uses more power than the 2K standard version, it has twice the resolution and is recording nearly twice the bitrate, but it only uses about half a watt extra, the Starvis-2 sensors have improved power consumption so the increase in power consumption is less than expected. These are approximate figures for 1 channel recording, not including any losses in a hardwire kit, and after the power consumption has stabilized (after the super capacitors are fully charged):
  • A139 Standard, 1 channel recording, wifi off = 2.6 watts.
  • A139 Pro, 1 channel recording, wifi off = 3.2 watts.

If you have more than one channel then that will increase the power consumption, but by the same amount for both Pro and standard since they use the same remote cameras.

The A139 Pro will use the same hardwire kits as the standard model, although there may be upgraded versions arriving for the higher power consumption. I'm not aware of any issues using the old versions, they were upgraded when the standard model arrived.

If you want to use the camera for parking mode, do take note that with 3 channels recording, this is one of the thirstiest dashcams, your battery runtime will be reduced over lesser dashcams, and it is probably worth looking at using a dashcam powerbank rather than using the vehicle battery. If you do use the vehicle battery then you want a hardwire kit with a low voltage cutoff that can be set quite low since the high power consumption will pull the voltage down a bit, so a cutoff of 11.8 volts will switch the power off at 11.8 volts, but the battery voltage will then recover to maybe 12.2 volts. In other words a normal low voltage cutoff will leave your car battery nearly full and you will get very short battery run times.

HDR

On the A139 Pro, the HDR function provides two advantages, first there is the High Dynamic Range, which allows the dashcam to record detail in the shadows at the same time as detail in the highlights, and second the highlights are recorded using a much faster exposure than the shadows, and thus have far less motion blur than is necessary to capture the shadows, thus the A139 Pro will record license plates on moving cars at night fairly reliably, even at closing speeds of 100 Km/h. I say "fairly reliably" because the plates do need to be illuminated by your headlights, so it won't work if you are not using headlights, or if your headlights have a narrower than required beam to reach the required plate.

Note that with the larger dynamic range of the Starvis-2 sensors, the dynamic range of the image needs to be fairly heavily compressed to fit into an SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) video file. The A139 Pro does however use standard SDR H264 video files, not HDR video files, which results in rather low contrast video which has a lot of detail, but can be a little unimpressive. If you are using it for movie making, you may want to expand the compressed dynamic range in the SDR video file back into the more realistic dynamic range of an HDR video file for display on HDR display devices.

Last edited:
Specifications
  • Real 4K HDR 3 Channel 4K Front + FHD Inside + FHD Rear Dashcam
  • Front: Sony STARVIS 2 Sensor 8MP 1/1.8 IMX678
  • Interior: Sony STARVIS Sensor 2MP IMX291
  • Rear: Sony STARVIS Sensor 2MP IMX291
  • F1.6 Aperture 7 Elements Glass Lens
  • 140°+ 170°+ 170° Wide Viewing Angle
  • Dual-Band Wi-Fi Built-in 2.4GHz & Upgraded 5GHz
  • Voice Notification in Multiple Languages Supported
  • 3 Parking Modes: Auto Event Detection / Time-lapse / Low Bitrate Recording
  • User-friendly Installation with super slim coaxial cable and miniature connectors
  • GPS Logger & CPL Filter (Included)
  • Support External Microphone (Optional, Not Included)
  • Bluetooth Emergency Remote (Optional, Not Included)
  • Support Micro SD Card Class 10 up to 256GB

Notes on specifications:
  • Don't take the viewing angles too seriously, they depend on how you measure them!
    This is the widest FoV dashcam in Viofo's range except for the standard A139 which due to having more fisheye is slightly wider.
  • The F1.6 aperture is very fast for an F 1/1.8" sensor, it would still be pretty fast on a normal 1/2.8" dashcam. This helps to reduce motion blur.
  • If you want to use the parking modes, you should add one of the optional 3-wire hardwire kits.

Sample Images

These images were recorded on a sunny November day with the sun fairly low in the sky, so there are strong shadows making use of the high dynamic range of the Starvis-2 sensor. Older dashcams would have difficulties with a lot of these.

Looking directly into the sun, both vehicles doing around 40 mph / 65 Km/h, no problem reading the license plate even with it in full shadow with the sun just above, and the clouds look good too! This is what high dynamic range gives you. OK, the sun is not a perfect disc and is a bit larger than it should be, there are limits!

The yellow sign has various text sizes, note that text is readable (with a little guesswork) down to about 6 pixels high, as good as it is possible to get, most dashcams will have the text too blurred by that size, although most dashcams have a narrower field of view, so would have more more magnification/pixels over the text.

Also, note the lack of lens reflections, on many cameras I would expect a big coloured disk hiding the license plate, caused by the sun reflecting off the lens elements inside the lens. This is a really good lens.

y4m4qgCYj8Sk7PCPYU_4yPTex3FFJpwvSsfL8xP50hWn9s8ITfkSs8xt9WJ0OknaDRPW5X-NNz1BZ8Ahfor1WeObxPNf0ABlC53i3i6mgARs3W1NdND_9gDEQ0QAJhgRjxNJU4jLUqiOBQMBPX8VHZf4Q0XeaKrd4CKnIv6zDFwtAo

Just a nice view, nice clouds, nice road texture, very little pixelation/compression artifacts, looks a little yellow, but I think that is the low angle of the sun, which is also causing the dark shadows.

y4mur4hYzfDbFFU2LMdPr7fjbL7NfEydWRyS-8BZRCLBRdgpsSwNZw5nnZ1Htwrtg6KPKBmWXbDX0YLleu23r7L_H7VfJXxYQR-oR3gNiafj0EEcnUhvpuTzHnGn6JfUGI9KFWvjm5Yn0hJTAinJ_e1OUpOz8ACXbT4wr4VML7yy1Y

Under trees, another difficult situation due to the dynamic range of the shadows to sun. In this image there is a bit of motion blur, not sure it needed to use an exposure that long, but the firmware is still being optimised.

y4mOqN3h0mrpJDU4P_OWmKO1F8XPEouWR-9w0kwnPXIdiM_tZM_5O1SWuJWmdPz70EqAnCcvoZavLLkRATAbsObFUJ9qw4wY1lRRzIcLaTGhDzhW9o4s9DMQ0bSq5fZO4y_4v6JlWaaZgWeAkExi-o5ejkteE00Mc9YuKfWoQEawP4

Easy to read road sign! :unsure:

y4mOe9ImLUk20518TMsAycbvGkf9vD_5tAXkpffsDBZnqZhjLvveDcZ6GeCmgMHqZggTMiDg0I4O8wHlV_Nbei2pln1uPQuJrodb0VUB1j-orWCyzgMB6DxNTL6Gu_ktYv_jj0Lg2xyUpDj_EX_2PKv40CWbQnJAQYwGiWgj-JopgM

Could maybe do with a bit more bitrate to read the writing on that van? It appears to have some compression artifacts.

y4m5pHxrC7qRAmDiunZcrt0_S1DCRC6ItYH7-hCgazRVjzm7ipE2TYZT7NlzXG_6btGQO2CtBKdQ4AFiKHyHFj0r9xK3XJFgVf9wTp8Vf9R3Z9SWIwkVMVTPkCnIgwb5DySZRctzvBZZXVnYhPA6_TGBMG-8YvW1pdwqzBqh7fXlME

Some parked car license plates:

y4mNty9_A9-qivXPvu_2Hx-qj00bNhqeIosDEL9KCvVNBabwRpu-CvZ-iMvVCwMYjCRUtyRG_MJ5rXYwX31NR_TU9LdOID9R37qXM4LZaMYlmW-Bp2Y9i2jH3yxTi6GHz1wzdQDS2pUAzU0YOHmTxbA4OBh7hkuWoy8fngjI2fzDoo

And a video clip from which the above images were frame grabbed:

Notes:
  • This is on Youtube, so the image quality will be less than the original, see the framegrabs above for original quality.
  • I'm not linking raw video files at the moment since the firmware is still being improved and optimised, it is too soon to look in great detail.
  • As I am posting this, Youtube has taken 2 days to process the HD version, which still looks terribly pixelated, hopefully it will get to the high quality HD, 4K and HDR versions soon... maybe a few views will wake it up!
  • This has been uploaded to Youtube in HDR video format, so should display with higher contrast than direct from camera, so try to watch it on an HDR display, or if you watch it on an SDR display then note that Youtube's conversion to SDR does not look the same as the original out of camera file - see the framegrabs above for the out of camera "quality".
  • Most of the road signs on this video are very weathered, there is a lot of weather in this part of Wales, so don't judge the image quality on the quality of the road signs!

Last edited:
And this is from Halloween night, a little after sunset with a rainstorm fast approaching, so quite low light levels. Spot the pumpkins!

y4m8Ex6__kQ8uSLnQ0eVhW8vLexTnu--KgruIXpUM8yDWjOB2c-FuaWubiNMhcxNNaH0dYSZAY7l6oOWBC_SgGPbt8yAnvrRFmGBk8oEX9-VLUW-TV8dvJlBdBm0-lJ7TAvvturuwMUlmGdr30tZ-7O6IyKZDqXOkYmyosT6_4kIdo

The truck headlights show that it was low light:

y4mURx7G7vr59Ds5iCF6veXvJpfzequfWTtnwnn74L28g504uY4-0kPdM28noLqsxlSywVlQHujkz0ipoCg0N2AgPjZiZkCr6K1YdaJWxp5q8RPWoQ_OfV7mnK7YSaJmOuCKy2rh67CaVhQ6biTMLGse2wsXKffcKw7oXNJa2ckNxc

The near van is as close as it got before the plate started to blur through motion blur, but the firmware has since been improved with faster shutter speeds in this lighting, and I suspect it still has room for further firmware improvement, so look for an update in a few weeks time once the image quality has stabilised. It is still work in progress.

The rear van is at the limit of plate readability, or just beyond, with the plate text at only 6 pixels high. It is a bit of a guess, although the police would probably work it out based on vehicle type plus what is readable. Clarity is no issue, but the wide FoV of the A139 Pro does limit distance for plate readability.

y4mk2rtiIT2yVU-9CRT3JQaMnS4NfBzKcApG6D0HlbFCO1DAQF8oXDNE0FRtlgYAxoHJ_f8VF_r43XpYRHc5GPBpE2TuYV7UKYOXp3emguuY7c0zFqtRMZJuxVbtt4JOx5Ot0j0vtO48oU9BMdCGBIYxW43DYE2dTA1l85tUxFuy1s

Note that the A139 Pro dashcam is happy even under the trees near the end of the clip, where it was quite dark, even though it doesn't look like it on the resulting video.

Last edited:
Waiting for some night footage...

The firmware is still under development, still being improved, so I'm going to wait a little before putting up some night images. I'm sure there will be plenty posted from other people very soon, but I'm going to wait a little. The firmware is also likely to be improved for daytime use, but the daytime footage above is probably fairly realistic of the final results.

In general, when looking at other images/information that get posted over the next few weeks, do remember that the firmware is still being improved. That includes specifications such as bitrates, framerates, and resolution. The hardware seems to be finished, so I wouldn't worry about buying too early, much of it is from the standard A139 anyway, so is already well sorted and proven.

Last edited:
I'm happy that finally some large 4k sensors are used in dashcams. 1/1.8" are quite capable in CCTV and 2x2µm pixels are large enough (when we talk about SONY Starvis...).

This is the most revolutionary step made in dashcam world and Viofo is the first in the world who achieved this.

HDR on a dashcam doesn't means it is recording a pure HDR video to be watched only on some special devices, but a normal video created by the HDR processing which can be watched on any device.
It is just how the image is created. We know that dashcams have the option called WDR or HDR which is improving the image in low light conditions and over-exposure. Previously Viofo dashcams used WDR to create a single frame from the video. Now it is using HDR to create that single frame.

The biggest chances ever to read a car license plates is starting now with HDR enabling on Viofo A139 Pro and these are my conclusions:
1. If eyes cannot see the car license number, the dashcam will not see it too.
2. If the eye can see the car license number at the sunset or at the dawn with some (little) effort, the dashcam will not see it.
3. If you want to increase the change to see the car license plates a little after the sunset open your car lights. The best advice is to turn on the lights when you are outside of the city.
4, Stay close on the incoming cars during night. If there are 2 more lanes between you and the opposite car, try do drive under 50 km/h to read the opposite car license number. You also have no reason to drive on last lane with 50 km/h, stay on first lane at that speed.
5. If total speed is over 190 km/h even the opposite car is close to you, the chances to read the car license number are decreasing with speed increase.
6. Move on a country with big car license numbers so you can read them at total speeds over 190 km/h. USA will be not so happy regarding this.
7. To read car license numbers you need good light. The HDR is just solving the over-exposing problem which was on all dashcams until Viofo A139 Pro

This is a comparison with HDR On and Off, the total speed was about 120 km/h, night and a little fog:
Viofo A139 Pro HDR On vs HDR Off - Starvis 2.gif

Edit: I deleted my snapshot picture because people don't know how to capture a car license plate in a correct snapshot. It is not my fault because I know how to do these things and they don't have the needed skills to obtain the same result like mine. Right now I have 10 years of dashcams experience.

Last edited:
I'm happy that finally some large 4k sensors are used in dashcams. 1/1.8" are quite capable in CCTV and 2x2µm pixels are large enough (when we talk about SONY Starvis...).
Yes, very nice to see a decent sized sensor, and actually this is about as big as you want to have in a dashcam, any larger and they will be battling with the laws of physics - there will be focus problems.

I wish i had something like that yesterday evening, i ran over a fresh ( Seconds i think the guy that hit it had turned around and was on the way back ) deer kill on the way to visit my mother.
The fact this was a unscheduled visit must have had me freaked out, cuz i should have seen the kill lying there and stopped, also i should have stopped and gotten it off the road.
But the way my mother called had me freaked out ( doctors gave her 6 months a few years ago )

Anyway only got the recording on the A229 and A119 mini as i forgot the memory card for the vantrue E2 in the rush to get out of the door.
Ill review the recording from the other cameras later, go for a a short drive shortly so can retrieve memory card after that.

Of course there was nothing wrong with my mother,,,,,,, which then just annoyed me as why couldent this have waited for my visit every Sunday ( and Wednesday )

Attachments

• A139 Standard 96687 TBG .png
    A139 Standard 96687 TBG .png
    381 KB · Views: 18
Right on Nigel,
Nice write up, two questions.
1.) Does the new A139 Pro use the same Novatek 96687 processor as the "standard" A139?
It uses a Novatek processor and most of the firmware is identical. I think the exact number of the processor is a bit irrelevant so I don't bother keeping track, it is sufficient to know that it has sufficient processing power for the task, which the processor in the 2K version probably doesn't. There are no fantastic new features on this processor as far as I know. Maybe when the A229 Pro arrives there will be reason to look at new processor features, but this one is just another Novatek processor. Of course some people like trainspotting and recording all the locomotive numbers, some people in the UK do the same with HGV trucks on the roads, so if you like spotting SoC numbers then go ahead... and maybe create a seperate thread for it... ;)

2.) Also is this the correct image sensor product information sheet IMX678-AAQR1?
@rcg530
@Mtz
Thanks again,
-Chuck

I'm not sure if the last part of the number is correct, Sony normally have a few versions of each sensor, such as a monochrome version, and maybe a different packaging, that have different numbers after the "-", but they tend to use the same product info sheet anyway, so yes, that is the correct product information sheet.

Don't take all of Sony's numbers too seriously, things like sensitivity always depend on how you measure them and if you include IR light etc., same as lens FoV figures are notoriously "inaccurate", but it is a good guide.

I dont think that is possible ATM. but i assume within some weeks they will be on Amazon.uk

Any comments on how it handles heat? I know the A139 has/had overheating issues (not sure if they ever fixed it).

Since it is same form factor, with higher spec, I’m curious how it would survive parking mode on a hot day.

I know the A139 has/had overheating issues (not sure if they ever fixed it).
If you know that A139 has overheating issues just buy another brand. It is like cars. If you know that some car is bad, just don't buy that car, no matter the version. For example I know that Skoda have overheating issues so I will never buy a Skoda in my life. Also I am not going to the Skoda dealer or on Skoda forums to ask if a model which was not launched yet have already overheating issues.
Your life will be much better if not searching for products with known problems.

If you know that A139 has overheating issues just buy another brand. It is like cars. If you know that some car is bad, just don't buy that car, no matter the version. For example I know that Skoda have overheating issues so I will never buy a Skoda in my life. Also I am not going to the Skoda dealer or on Skoda forums to ask if a model which was not launched yet have already overheating issues.
Your life will be much better if not searching for products with known problems.
My bad. I’m just curious, since the starvis 2 peaked my interest. I own a ton of models of dashcams, and usually buy whatever latest model comes out.

But I do think it is valid to see if a brand has made improvements on a second iteration of a product. I have almost every VIOFO dashcam, and iirc, only the A139 had blatant issues with overheating.

Yeah, but there is currently no other brand available with Starvis 2...
Sounds like you're advocating waiting for the A229 Pro over picking the A139 Pro now ;)

Back