Nextbase 612GW Thoughts

I'm also in southern England and my Samsung Evo Plus has been used in a Nextbase 412, 380, Viofo A119 V2 and now a V3 without issue.

That's a good call about heat as surely that's the only way a card can be trashed ?

I also use a 64GB Samsung Evo plus in my 612 and a Sandisk 128GB Extreme and never had problems with any of them. And I rarely format them either.

I also have a Nextbase 128GB SD Card which my 312 doesn't seem to like and often throws a paddy and crashes with it in.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Apparently your not suppose to use a non next base card otherwise you void product of any warranties and Halfords inform me they embed a code into their sd cards so other brands break but you seem to have it working.
Firstly, this is completely incorrect. If you'd like to message us directly regarding the particular store and Halfords colleague that you spoke to, we can report this directly to Halfords head office.

I'll make it clear- a new Nextbase product has a one year warranty, regardless of what brand or type of SD card that you use.

Most SD card manufacture's void THEIR SD card warranties if used in a write intensive environment (E.g. CCTV, Dash Cams), and this can be found on their websites. This is the SD manufacture warranty, not Nextbase.

When purchasing a micro SD card for your camera, you need to ensure:

1. The card is the correct size for your device. I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card for most of our devices (not 112 or 122).

2. The card needs to be specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage.

3. The card needs to be designed to allow for continuous overwriting. The micro SD card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s, as per the manuals.

4. We'd highly recommend for the SD card to come with a one year warranty. If the manufacturer voids the card's warranty if used in a continuously overwriting environment, then we'd recommend not using this card in a Dash Camera.

5. Check carefully the small print for your chosen card. A lot of cards appear to have a high write speed, but in the disclosures, this is shown to be considerably lower. I'll use the SanDisk Extreme, SanDisk Extreme Pro and SanDisk High Endurance as an example here. The SanDisk Extreme is advertised as a 90MB/s write speed, the Extreme Pro at 90MB/s and the High Endurance at 40MB/s. However they are only V30 cards, and this statement is made in the disclosures on their website:
'UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. Video Speed Class 30 (V30), sustained video capture rate of 30MB/s, designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. See www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed. '

Due to the 30MB/s continuous write speed, these cards are not suitable for use in a Dash Cam. Due to the significant use of these cards in Dash Cameras, we are aware of a large amount of SD card failures. We'd highly recommend ensuring your chosen card has a suitable continuous write speed. E.g. minimum 48MB/s. If a Dash Cam user chooses to use a card that is not suitable for their device, then they risk a variety of faults. This is up to the user to ensure they use a correct compatible SD card. If a user does not regularly format their card (2-3 weeks as per the manual), then they risk in reducing the life-expectancy of their SD card.

Finally 'Halfords inform me they embed a code into their sd cards so other brands break but you seem to have it working.'.

We do not 'embed code'. We have cards that are above 48MB/s, it's as simple as that. If you use a suitable card too, then you are significantly less likely to have SD card related issues.

I think 50 MB/s write speed that rule out most endurance cards that do have warranty for dashcam use.
But i think my Adata premiere pro A2 - V30 have a write speed above that, and also warranty for dashcam use, which is what i will recommend people to get if they can afford one such memory card as they are a little more expensive.

I have personally experienced dashcams / action cameras that when your calculate the speed they are writing at are well below the write speed of the card used, but still the card are too slow / problematic,,,,, which do baffle me a bit cuz i think very simple.
So i have been thinking maybe the iops number also have some say

Mind you i have not tested that Adata card in many cameras yet,,,,, it did not work for me in the zenfox T3 but nothing i had did that 100 %, but it have worked in the SG9663DR.

I have personally experienced dashcams / action cameras that when your calculate the speed they are writing at are well below the write speed of the card used, but still the card are too slow / problematic,,,,, which do baffle me a bit cuz i think very simple.
So i have been thinking maybe the iops number also have some say
firmware issue, the data rates aren't anywhere near high enough to outdo the card speeds

Firstly, this is completely incorrect. If you'd like to message us directly regarding the particular store and Halfords colleague that you spoke to, we can report this directly to Halfords head office.

I'll make it clear- a new Nextbase product has a one year warranty, regardless of what brand or type of SD card that you use.

Most SD card manufacture's void THEIR SD card warranties if used in a write intensive environment (E.g. CCTV, Dash Cams), and this can be found on their websites. This is the SD manufacture warranty, not Nextbase.

When purchasing a micro SD card for your camera, you need to ensure:

1. The card is the correct size for your device. I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card for most of our devices (not 112 or 122).

2. The card needs to be specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage.

3. The card needs to be designed to allow for continuous overwriting. The micro SD card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s, as per the manuals.

4. We'd highly recommend for the SD card to come with a one year warranty. If the manufacturer voids the card's warranty if used in a continuously overwriting environment, then we'd recommend not using this card in a Dash Camera.

5. Check carefully the small print for your chosen card. A lot of cards appear to have a high write speed, but in the disclosures, this is shown to be considerably lower. I'll use the SanDisk Extreme, SanDisk Extreme Pro and SanDisk High Endurance as an example here. The SanDisk Extreme is advertised as a 90MB/s write speed, the Extreme Pro at 90MB/s and the High Endurance at 40MB/s. However they are only V30 cards, and this statement is made in the disclosures on their website:
'UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. Video Speed Class 30 (V30), sustained video capture rate of 30MB/s, designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. See www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed. '

Due to the 30MB/s continuous write speed, these cards are not suitable for use in a Dash Cam. Due to the significant use of these cards in Dash Cameras, we are aware of a large amount of SD card failures. We'd highly recommend ensuring your chosen card has a suitable continuous write speed. E.g. minimum 48MB/s. If a Dash Cam user chooses to use a card that is not suitable for their device, then they risk a variety of faults. This is up to the user to ensure they use a correct compatible SD card. If a user does not regularly format their card (2-3 weeks as per the manual), then they risk in reducing the life-expectancy of their SD card.

Finally 'Halfords inform me they embed a code into their sd cards so other brands break but you seem to have it working.'.

We do not 'embed code'. We have cards that are above 48MB/s, it's as simple as that. If you use a suitable card too, then you are significantly less likely to have SD card related issues.
What are the write speeds for the Nextbase 128GB and 64GB? I have both of these and also use the Sandisk Extreme 128GB and the Sandisk Extreme Pro in my Dashcams never had a problem with none of them tbh all great cards. The Nextbase 128GB are super expensive though.

Only time I had a problem with Sandisk was with an ultra 128GB card as I thought the Ultra would be ok as it isn't recording 1440p or 4K, I tried to use it in my 322 with the rear add on camera, the SD card worked with just the front dashcam alone but once you plugged in the rear module it just flashed upto use a faster SD Card.

Back