Nextbase IQ picture quality

davedavedave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Received my 1k IQ today direct from Nextbase.
Set up ok but disappointed with the video quality, both when viewing on the app and when downloaded (even in the higher quality option)

I'm a complete newbie at all of this so any help would be appreciated. I have uploaded a couple to YouTube.

Any thoughts, links below

Have to wait a while for Youtube to process the higher resolutions... What resolution is the file you uploaded? And what bitrate if you can manage that?

Welcome :)

The video suggests 848x480
Not sure on bitrate

Thanks!

:eek:

If that YT video is full quality then that is appalling!

How did you obtain the video from the camera?

For normal dashcams, the best quality is obtained by copying the video off the memory card, but this is an iQ, so I don't know how it works...

On the IQ app, you can download the footage in either standard or higher quality (those are higher)

Downloaded the video and uploaded to YT...

I downloaded the user manual and had a read, doesn't say very much, but it does recommend that you do what you did to view the footage.

Can you try the alternative of removing the memory card and inserting it into a computer please? Note that it does say that you must switch off the camera first. I think this should give you full resolution of 1080. (FHD), and probably a lot more bitrate so that it looks much better, but I've not seen any iQ footage before...

Nextbase iQ Manual said:
Playback and Accessing Footage: To view the recorded footage, use the iQ app (recommended) or remove the memory card from the dash cam and insert it into a computer. Once the footage is accessed, you can review, edit, or share the recordings as needed.

Switch off iQ Cam before removing the SD card, to prevent the chance of damage being caused to the memory card or the files stored upon it.

IMO the 1K IQ is yesterday's technology and false economy. It reminds me of my old Nextbase 380 that was 1080 and no CPL. The video was shocking and often couldn't capture number plates of overtaking cars, never mind approaching ones

For years now 2K or QuadHD has been the norm running at 2560x1440

The IQ is full 4k so there is like as not something wrong with the settings in camera. Go into the menu and make sure it's at 3840x2160.

One model of the IQ are 4K, there are also 1440p and 1080p versions i believe

Yep, there are 1K, 2K and 4K models and the OP has bought the lowly 1K model

My bad - you have the 1080p Dave - but even so, please check the settings in the menu are at max res.

I think it uses lower resolutions for cloud and phone uploads, so that it appears fast and responsive!
Which means that the 4K version doesn't look any better than the 1K!

Not sure if it is possible to get the full resolution image without removing the card?

Looks pretty horrendous even if it is at low resolution, oh god the nightmare we thought may be happening with the IQ may be coming to fruition...

We always used to provide a link to the original RAW file to assess properly. I never think YT does justice with its processing

My first impression though is that Nextbase have spent years developing a large lump on a stalk with many features that could potentially go wrong.

I still think they should have further developed their 380 with high resolution and a CPL facility

I chose the Viofo A119 because it doesn't do anything fancy. Single channel, solid mount, discrete, lifts off easily to bring indoors and use as a card reader to offload footage.

Hi all

Received my 1k IQ today direct from Nextbase.
Set up ok but disappointed with the video quality, both when viewing on the app and when downloaded (even in the higher quality option)

I'm a complete newbie at all of this so any help would be appreciated. I have uploaded a couple to YouTube.

Any thoughts, links below

Did you take the dashcam out of the plastic bag before installing it...lol
Upload the high res version so we can compare.

Thanks all for the input

Spoke to Nextbase and changed a few things, link to a better file below

Is it me or does it still look pretty bad (irrespective of resolution)?

@davedavedave
Surely you can not be pleased with this.
Especially everything under direct illumination from headlights is overexposed.
However, the Nextbase logo at the top of the screen is razor sharp.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 12.31.04 AM.png

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cpo IQ 12
kamkar IQ 222
Back