Nexus 4 Pro Firmware (and APP) Bugs & Issues Thread [UPDATED 4th September 2024]

Could be, I use my car daily. Even though it remembers the date and time, then surely it should only trigger once and then be done with it. Unless there's some other thing I'm missing...
I would expect it to trigger each time the dashcam powers up after the 30th day (or perhaps the first time each day). But as I said I get nothing. :p

Using a 512GB card too, if that makes any difference

I would expect it to trigger each time the dashcam powers up after the 30th day (or perhaps the first time each day). But as I said I get nothing. :p

Using a 512GB card too, if that makes any difference
First time but not after, lucky you haha. Gremlin bugs aye...

> HDR timer has been ticked off the wish-list documented here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...issues-thread-updated-23rd-august-2024.49679/ with the latest Nexus 4 Pro firmware update released today, EDH211.

Sadly it seems you have to set the times manually as it has no idea about changing sunset and sunrise times, let alone DST changes, even though it knows the current time and location. Maybe this should be a new/updated feature request?

> HDR timer has been ticked off the wish-list documented here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...issues-thread-updated-23rd-august-2024.49679/ with the latest Nexus 4 Pro firmware update released today, EDH211.

Sadly it seems you have to set the times manually as it has no idea about changing sunset and sunrise times, let alone DST changes, even though it knows the current time and location. Maybe this should be a new/updated feature request?
Viofo behaves the same where you have to set the on and off times manually, I'm not bothered personally as the timer is now there which is the main thing

Has anybody already tested the image-qualitiy-feature "PlateFix"?

Unfortunately I currently only have one Vantrue N4 Pro here and can't compare the difference.
From the first view the imagery seems to be -0,3EV darker at daytime. But it's really hard to say without the possibility to compare with another N4 Pro.
I'm not sure if it's worth to organize another N4 Pro just to check this out.

Has anybody already tested the image-qualitiy-feature "PlateFix"?

Unfortunately I currently only have one Vantrue N4 Pro here and can't compare the difference.
From the first view the imagery seems to be -0,3EV darker at daytime. But it's really hard to say without the possibility to compare with another N4 Pro.
I'm not sure if it's worth to organize another N4 Pro just to check this out.
Sure there will be comparisons at some point

When will an video advanced tab be available to allow video quality adjustment?

Currently the settings are over sharpened causing jaggies like upscaled video. Its bad enough that you can't read signs/license plates very well while in motion (the point of the dashcam). If there was an advanced tab with some video settings that could be changed to allow less sharpening, slightly more noise, etc. that would enhance the video not hinder it, that'd be great. As-is, the video quality is sub par - especially for 4k.

When will an video advanced tab be available to allow video quality adjustment?

Currently the settings are over sharpened causing jaggies like upscaled video. Its bad enough that you can't read signs/license plates very well while in motion (the point of the dashcam). If there was an advanced tab with some video settings that could be changed to allow less sharpening, slightly more noise, etc. that would enhance the video not hinder it, that'd be great. As-is, the video quality is sub par - especially for 4k.
PlatePix goes some way to fixing that issue. I don't think any dashcam since the Mobius line has such granular settings for video adjustment, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm in the preliminary stages of testing the PlatePix setting, seeing what changes I observe

PlatePix is only available in the record menu on the device. The phone app has not been updated to support it (yet).

PlatePix is only available in the record menu on the device. The phone app has not been updated to support it (yet).
Hopefully they can put the HDR timer in the phone menu as well

PlatePix™ Analysis:

So with the latest firmware update for the Nexus 4 Pro (EDH-211), Vantrue has added a user choice for Image Quality to select either Standard or PlatePix™. The new PlatePix™ algorithm prioritises licence plate capture in these instances. @Jeff_Vantrue

I have embedded my sample video footage comparing Standard and PlatePix™ video quality modes below, along with screenshots demonstrating the differences in licence plate readability between the two modes. Feel free to make your own conclusions and add them below.

My take on the new PlatePix™ feature is that it appears to increase the contrast and sharpen the footage, to enable the better readability of licence plates. I also presume there is some shift in colour processing also. It appears to make more of a difference with daytime footage (expectedly), but it also assists with night footage too. Technically, Standard mode is truer to life in terms of colour, but aesthetically I find PlatePix™ more pleasing - and it isn't a bad thing that the footage is sharper too.

PLATEPIX day.jpg
PLATEPIX night.jpg

Thanks for the samples!

It would be very interesting if you can also go in the situations that are more difficult.
Especially oncoming traffic with speeds, where it's hard to capture a license plate at all.
So I mean situations, where this feature maybe can make a real difference in readability.

If PlateFix only increases contrasts and sharpens existing footage it might look more clear but regarding license plates especially in difficult situations it will make no difference.

But if it also affects shutter speeds and things like that, there might be a difference in favour of the PlateFix feature.
Would be great if you are able to test situations with oncoming traffic as well. Especially in difficult light-conditions.
Because I think then we can really say if it's a real innovation.

Just a random cross-comparison:
I noticed for example that for early firmware between Viofo VS1 and Mini2 for example that the VS1 looks more clear in license plates in situations like you show.
So it was possible to assume, that the quality is better.
But going into difficult situations it surprisingly started to be the exact other way round regarding license plate capturing.
I noticed similar things for different firmware-versions of dashcams where I currently have two models in stock. Unfortunately for the N4 Pro I haven't yet.
The better looking firmware is not always the best when it comes to very hard conditions.

For me the best comparison is not to compare license plates in situations where you can read them in general.
But to compare especially in hard conditions where maybe one dashcam or firmware-setting can still manage to capture a license plate while the other can't.

It would be great if you have the possibility to test that as well. :)

A few days ago I updated my N4 Pro to the newest firmware.
After watching a video that I saved today I noticed an issue.
In the 1 minute video the white balance changes every few seconds very noticeable. The image gets blueish and then back to normal.
The conditions were similar to the video that Agie posted with clouds.
I didn't have time yet to check for other videos. It might have been a one of case.
Did anyone else notice something similar?

Back