Night footage is terrible - why is it so bad? (attached video)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Had my Mobius ActionCam over a year now and I have noticed the night footage deteriorating a treat. I have a link here to the file I have snipped and its shocking. No the lights are not flashing, and I am not flashing the driver.

http://www.filedropper.com/whysobad

What firmware version are you using? If not v2.33 you need to upgrade. If you're using v2.33 you should consider using the Automatic Exposure Lock although I don't know how convenient this is for dashcam use. You could also try a fixed White Balance setting.

I have just updated the firmware - I was on v1.20... I guess that is old? haha.

I originally had that WDR set to 'ON', turned it to 'OFF' for now. And will have to do some night-time tests with it. Just hope that it isn't on the way out.

I'm running a Mobius B Lens and my nighttime and daytime video looks like garbage. I am using firmware 2.33, Mobius is set with WDR on, B-Lens, Wide, etc. Everything else for recording is default. My G1W-C smokes my Mobius. What is going wrong?

I'm thinking about getting the mobius, however the night vision concerns me. Are there any fix for this?

I'm running a Mobius B Lens and my nighttime and daytime video looks like garbage. I am using firmware 2.33, Mobius is set with WDR on, B-Lens, Wide, etc. Everything else for recording is default. My G1W-C smokes my Mobius. What is going wrong?

Your B lens may be imperfectly focused. Use the supplied lens tool & the camera in webcam mode, while cabled to a PC, to adjust it. For details of focus adjustment see...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170910&postcount=4

Then shoot some simultaneous footage with the G1W & Mobius, preferably at night, which highlights video clarity differences. Mount the cameras as close to each other as possible.

Edit it into split screen style* & upload to YouTube. Then it should be clear that Mobius outperforms G1W.

* example...

I did focus the lens per everyones suggestion earlier this week. And someone said there is not enough ambient light. Just from looking at the street lights they are completely blown out.

Last edited:
I did focus the lens per everyones suggestion earlier this week. And someone said there is not enough ambient light. Just from looking at the street lights they are completely blown out.

Video shot from one camera in isolation is of very limited value. It tells you nothing of its performance relative to another camera.

You own Mobius & G1W. The obvious thing to do is to shoot simultaneous video with both cameras, & upload the footage so we can observe their comparative performance objectively.

Until then, you're merely using words & an inconclusive clip to subjectively describe what can only be demonstrated via a comparison VIDEO.

ok, I will try to get around too it. Maybe this will be a weekend project when I have some time.

This is night time footage I took with the B lens on FW 2.33 and includes driving under white LED street lighting, regular street lighting and no street lighting at all.......

I'm impressed with the quality bearing in mind I do a lot of driving in the dark on unlit motorways.

^
Over exposed and grainy - that's how it looked on my 21"/23" IPS monitor in full screen.

Here are a few snapshots of tonights run. I must be missing something in the settings. Using the latest firmware with default settings. I am running the Mobius C in Narrow mode with WDR on. The G1W is factory settings. Both dash cams mounted same location net to each other. The Mobius is verified this afternoon as being in focus. I'm uploading a video now. I'm no video guru but you will be able to see the difference.

Attachments

• G1W-1.png
    G1W-1.png
    685.1 KB · Views: 34
  • G1W-2.png
    G1W-2.png
    768.2 KB · Views: 34
  • G1W-3.png
    G1W-3.png
    753.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Mobius-1.png
    Mobius-1.png
    702.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Mobius-2.png
    Mobius-2.png
    911.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Mobius-3.png
    Mobius-3.png
    858.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
^
Mobius' images are over exposed and grainier with your current firmware as expected. Try it in "wide" FOV? "Low" light option? And with WDR off?

You can test the Mobius inside your house by aiming it at a dark area.

Last edited:
Just tried it again with it set to Wide. Definitely more of an improvement but my goal was to use the C-Lens in Narrow Mode. Going to try WDR and Low Light next.

Attachments

• Mobius Wide.png
    Mobius Wide.png
    764.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Generally, I prefer WDR off w/o daylight. You can make use of the mode1/mode2 setting by having WDR on on one and off on the other.

WDR on in daylight ...

WDR off under street lights ...

Last edited:
Nice daytime clip. You're not on FW 2.33, are you?

Back