No satisfying quality A139 pro (where are licences plates?!)

I was hoping HDR would be able to do something for low light performance, or at least motion blur related to that.
But it seem not to be the case if you also want little detail captured at the same time ( a plate )
Mins you i still like the SV 2 sensors, and i would also like to see a dashcam with the " 1 " micron larger pixels ( 2.9 micron ) of the 1080p sensor.
I will also take better dynamic range and less noise in low light footage.

Low light performance is not about HDR but is about Starvis technology and CMOS size. I expect the HDR images to be darker a little than without HDR enabled.
For dashcams the HDR is only about license plates. Any other thing from the road is not important so no matter if the sky is more blue with HDR or the grass is more green.
Clear HDR is introducing a flickering problem which must be solved by Sony and Novatek. With DOL HDR is not this problem.

Mtz, you misunderstood my words friend :)
I totally agree that HDR is a very important technology and without it reading plates at night much more difficult.

My point was that HDR helps also when cars are stationary.

HDR is not important at all when cars are stationary. At some angles from the opposite car the license number is visible.

But, at night traffic, when there is a total speed over 20km/h for example, no matter the angle, the number is not readable without HDR.

Short for night traffic on the roads:
1. Stationary: not needed HDR, WDR.
2. Moving cars: HDR is a must. WDR is not helping.

Would reducing the quality to 2K and increasing the framerate to 60 fps help with capturing finer details like license plate numbers?

For sure not. Maybe 60FPS is good if you are speeding over 300km/h and the other cars too. There are snapshots made on this forum 5 years ago with Full HD dashcam at total speed of 200 km/h at day. I obtained reading of an european car license number at total speed of 200km/h at night with A139 Pro and HDR enabled. But I deleted the snapshot from the forum because people from countries with small license plates can not obtain such result and started to complain that Viofo is cheating them because they cannot capture the license plate like I did. And I didn't captured just one, but hundreds at a little smaller speeds, so that wasn't a lucky shot.

The improvements needed to read a car license plates are:
1. telephoto lens
2. bigger CMOS size
3. HDR (for big european car license plates this can be enough, the only requirement are sunny days and at night the headlights pointed to the license number).
Things like WDR, Night Vision, many FPS, are useless for reading the car license numbers.

In theory 60FPS for a DOL HDR should help regarding motion blur but I didn't observed some differences in my tests, but also I didn't insisted too much because I don't want to lower the resolution to obtain more FPS. Maybe I will test again if I will have the IMX678 with 4K 60FPS DOL HDR. No other CMOS is interesting for me.

Back