Not AGAin! - it is beepting

reader is 2.0, shouldn't be that slow though
Just did a quick test comparing performance in a dedicated SD slot versus a USB adapter. USB read rate is about 20% of the dedicated SD slot and write rate is about 22%. (Realized I don't have a portable USB3 adapter - time to go shopping. :) )

With SD adapter in SD slot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 91.936 MB/s
Sequential Write : 78.840 MB/s

In SG USB adapter in USB3 port

Sequential Read : 17.888 MB/s
Sequential Write : 17.967 MB/s

In SG USB adapter in USB2 port

Sequential Read : 17.867 MB/s
Sequential Write : 17.916 MB/s

Edit: Same mSD card, different computer, USB3 adapter in USB3 port - about the same speeds as using a native SD slot

Sequential Read : 90.637 MB/s
Sequential Write : 76.483 MB/s

Last edited:
Boy what a difference :eek: So no USB readers, only card adaptors to do testing. I've only used card adaptors here so sometimes even I get lucky!

Phil

Boy what a difference :eek: So no USB readers, only card adaptors to do testing. I've only used card adaptors here so sometimes even I get lucky!

Phil
See my edited post - USB3 adapter makes a huge difference.

I get the full speeds too, but you need a fast card reader on a fast USB, and changing from a USB 2.0 reader on a 2.0 port in my old computer to a USB 3.0 reader on ( i think ) USB 3.1 port make a world of difference.
And i am also looking for a new card reader as the micro SD slot in my Kingston one are flaky so now i use a adapter and use the regular SD slot in the reader.

Still not as fast as my internet Dl speed, though that are pretty much never even close to getting maxed out. 1 gbit / 125 MB/s

USB 3.2 gen 2 are 10 gigabit double that if its a 3.2 gen 2.2, that will shift your 4K movie in a very short time, 10 gbit is like 1.2 gigabyte every second.

So to do this kind of memory card testing you need the right tools first of all.

So to do this kind of memory card testing you need the right tools first of all.
Agreed. But I'm just a poor schmuck trying to make do with whatever I have laying around the house so I do what I can, when I can, with what I have.

My newest computer is at least 3 years old now so even it's behind the times. Maybe time to upgrade that when I get a portable USB3 adapter. :woot:(y):D

I think you can get PCI USB cards, that i assume that way could give you a fast USB port or two.
And most people have free PCI slots on their computer, looks like 10 bucks will buy you something.
If your computer is otherwise pleasing, it would be monumental bad economy to buy a new one for a faster USB port or two.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07WS95W6V

I think you can get PCI USB cards, that i assume that way could give you a fast USB port or two.
Yeah, I already went that route to expand the 2 USB3 ports the machine had up to 6 so I could attach my 4 external hard drives.

Besides, economics never come into play when buying toys. :ROFLMAO:

Hehe true that.

But some times people loose all contact to the ground, and then things get out of hand quick.
Here we have a TV program called " the debt trap" here 2 experts in economy visit people with out of control budgets, and show then what they do wrong and how they can make it better.
And some persons here it seem can go for years and use at least 2 X of the money they earn every month, so they borrow money from "mom" or over the phone / internet loans with >300% interest rates ASO ( though loans like that are now banned by law and a max interest rate have been instigated )

Most of my life i have been in debt too, and most of it from stupid stuff, and only short periods i have been debt free.
And in a few months my car are paid and i am debt free again, but in a few years i will probably have to buy a new car, and as usual all i can manage will be the down payment.

Besides, economics never come into play when buying toys. :ROFLMAO:

Well only when you hit the limit of keeping the necessary bills paid :rolleyes: Any cash beyond that is fair game :cool:

Phil

PS: you know many people buy cheap external drives, just to take out the HDD and put it inside their computer. ( so i read )
I plan to do the same with my external WD drive, it is also just USB 2.1 so really it is about the slowest thing on my computer and i often do something, and the computer wait for that drive to report in before it can proceed.
And also its just a 1TB drive so really i should move its content to something larger.
My motherboard have 6 sata ports where i use 3 now and in the new config it will just be 2, and i just use 1 of the 3 NVME drives, this i want to fill though these very fast drives are expensive so this will only be 1TB drives, and the one NVME i have now are just 500GB.
The backplate are full of stuff, and most of the 8 USB.3.0 ports are in use.

backplate.jpg

74% at 3:24 pm, which is ~20 hours.

74% at 3:24 pm, which is ~20 hours.
Do you have an SD adapter and SD slot in your computer? At the rate you're currently going you could start over and still finish in less time.

That said even at USB 2 speeds it seems excessively slow.

Last edited:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 x64 (C) 2007-2019 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World: https://crystalmark.info/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

[Read]
Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 19.714 MB/s [ 18.8 IOPS] <215755.93 us>
Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 19.926 MB/s [ 19.0 IOPS] < 52177.33 us>
Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 5.054 MB/s [ 1233.9 IOPS] <160370.73 us>
Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 4.228 MB/s [ 1032.2 IOPS] < 966.97 us>

[Write]
Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 0.000 MB/s [ 0.0 IOPS] < -1.00 us>
Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 13.003 MB/s [ 12.4 IOPS] < 80221.36 us>
Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 0.035 MB/s [ 8.5 IOPS] <1788390.26 us>
Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 0.035 MB/s [ 8.5 IOPS] <110855.49 us>

Profile: Default
Test: 1 GiB (x5) [Interval: 5 sec] <DefaultAffinity=DISABLED>
Date: 2020/02/22 8:20:13

This was after an overwrite format, a restart, and reinserting reader + card in a different USB 3 port.

Someone drugged your memory card and slowed it down to a crawl.

How's that supposed to happen? It has only ever been mine.

And, a question important to me, is this causing the periodic "beep" when driving. I have formatted it in the camera after this overwrite and it did so a few times today.

Any advice on it? This was a replacement for the one that failed previously, and I do not think I have misused it.

Any advice on it? This was a replacement for the one that failed previously, and I do not think I have misused it.
probably needs to be replaced again unfortunately, I'd strongly suggest giving up a bit of capacity though and going to a High Endurance card instead, speak with @Street Guardian USA about your options

Back