Not so positive review

But HDR = ON cause blur and not only on trees but on cars too.
Ahh, that image doesn't look too good, I think a poor implementation of HDR!

So in terms of being able to capture a number plate, are we better off switching HDR off altogether and manually adjusting the brightness of the image after? I'm less concerned with the look of the video/image than the ability to see detail when required, even if it means fiddling with the capture later. Is it right to assume that a bit more noise from a non-HDR image is more useful than a pretty looking HDR image with motion blur which will be very difficult to recover details from?

So in terms of being able to capture a number plate, are we better off switching HDR off altogether and manually adjusting the brightness of the image after? I'm less concerned with the look of the video/image than the ability to see detail when required, even if it means fiddling with the capture later. Is it right to assume that a bit more noise from a non-HDR image is more useful than a pretty looking HDR image with motion blur which will be very difficult to recover details from?
During the day, yes. During the night it is vicevers.

During the day, yes. During the night it is vicevers.
So at night you're saying HDR, despite the risk or motion blur, will make it easier to recover detail from the recording/image?

So at night you're saying HDR, despite the risk or motion blur, will make it easier to recover detail from the recording/image?
Well, this is the purpose of HDR in a dashcam.
There tons of evidence on this forum.
Just one for our collegue @rcg530

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-10-17-45-26-98_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-10-17-45-26-98_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 22
You can ask Vantrue if they have done any testing with CLEAR HDR.

I'm happy to ask @Jeff_Vantrue whether Vantrue has done extensive testing on clear hdr.

As I said i would ask Vantrue about their findings.

Here is their reply about clear hdr.

2. **What type of HDR is Vantrue using on the Nexus 5 Sony Starvis 2 IMX675? Clear HDR OR DOL HDR?**

We employ DOL HDR for the Nexus 5 Sony Starvis 2 IMX675.

3. **Has Vantrue had any problems with Sony's claim about their Clear HDR not working as expected?**

We have encountered issues with Clear HDR, as it has not delivered the expected results. We maintain ongoing communication with the SONY factory to collaboratively address and improve this matter. However, we are unable to specify a precise timeline for when these expected results will be achieved, as this is beyond our control.

It seems Vantrue also has trouble with Sony's clear hdr.

There is nothing wrong with Clear HDR, it is doing what it is supposed to do, it just doesn't do what we need for dashcam use.

As I said i would ask Vantrue about their findings.

Here is their reply about clear hdr.

2. **What type of HDR is Vantrue using on the Nexus 5 Sony Starvis 2 IMX675? Clear HDR OR DOL HDR?**

We employ DOL HDR for the Nexus 5 Sony Starvis 2 IMX675.

3. **Has Vantrue had any problems with Sony's claim about their Clear HDR not working as expected?**

We have encountered issues with Clear HDR, as it has not delivered the expected results. We maintain ongoing communication with the SONY factory to collaboratively address and improve this matter. However, we are unable to specify a precise timeline for when these expected results will be achieved, as this is beyond our control.

Thanks for confirming.
Does the N5 support HDR, I know it can not supported due to hardware limitations.

I don't think CLEAR HDR will be useful for dash cam.

I also discussed this with Sony officials during our show in Hong Kong last week.

I don't think CLEAR HDR will be useful for dash cam.
The only way it could be useful is if you could have DOL HDR + Clear HDR at the same time, so one fast exposure (DOL HDR), plus the two simultaneous exposures (CLEAR HDR). That may allow us to use smaller sensors and still have enough dynamic range, so good for cheep dashcams. Probably need to wait for the small sensors to be able to implement CLEAR-HDR on the image sensor, like the big IMX 585 currently can, and with the SoC implementing the DOL-HDR afterwards. I don't expect Sony will make it possible though.

Does the N5 support HDR, I know it can not supported due to hardware limitations.

In the specifications they claim it supports HDR on all cameras.
Having only one unit makes it difficult to test.

IMG_4178.jpeg

In the specifications they claim it supports HDR on all cameras.
Having only one unit makes it difficult to test.

View attachment 68572
The Vantrue N5's main camera only supports WDR.
The interior and rear cameras support HDR.
All Vantrue N4 Pro cameras support HDR.
This is stated on the manufacturer's website.
And it's in the menu settings.

Last edited:
Just got my head around HDR and DOL, what is WDR?

Just got my head around HDR and DOL, what is WDR?
Basically a reduction in gamma- have a play with the gamma adjustment in a photo/video editor to understand. It provides more detail in the darker shadow areas where pedestrians and cyclists can get lost at the expense of losing detail in the bright clouds in the sky.

Back