Not sure what to get.

Bruce45

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I will drive my car mostly on the weekends. For the remainder of the week it will likely sit in an underground garage. Ideally I would like to have any incident recorded during this time. However, I'm assuming it would not be practical to have a parking mode buffered camera in this situation? Because it would run continuously for up to a week (maybe more) and I suppose this would be terrible for a the car battery. Isn't there a camera that runs a very low power motion sensor on only the camera battery? Then wakes up to full power to use the car battery only if recording is turned on?

Also, with a dual camera, is the rear camera useless if the rear window is tinted?

Thanks.

p.s. I'm willing to spend up to $300 for all the latest features minus the GPS option, since my car has a GPS infotainment system already.

If you're willing / able to visit your parked car every day or so, you could power a dashcam using 2 power banks, the second bank to swap with the first, & the first to then be recharged at home. Is your $300 budget in Canadian $?

Last edited:
If you're willing / able to visit your parked car every day or two, you could power a dashcam using 2 power banks. Is your $300 budget in Canadian $?

That's an interesting proposal but I think it might require 4 power banks with the idea that when you visit the parked car you can swap the banks for freshly charged ones and take the others home for a recharge.

You can purchase excellent quality 20,000 mAh powerbanks with a decent warranty for 20 USD.

If you're willing / able to visit your parked car every day or so, you could power a dashcam using 2 power banks, the second bank to swap with the first, & the first to then be recharged at home. Is your $300 budget in Canadian $?

No I wouldn't want to visit the car everyday. So I suppose I would need a dash cam that can be turned off, but also has parking mode for when parked outside temporarily at a mall or something.

Yes CAD. Looks like everyone like Street Guardian a lot.

Assuming limited traffic movement in the underground car park, a pre-buffered motion detection dashcam would be my choice.

The SG range would be suitable, budget permitting, apart from the SG9665GC (not pre-buffered) ...

http://www.calgarydashcam.com/our-brands/street-guardian

But wouldn't that pre-buffered cam be running continuously for over a week? I understand you can hardwire and prevent the car battery from draining, but still, wouldn't it be bad for car battery to be in constant use like that?

Are you talking about the SGZC12SG? It goes for $320 CAD. Not bad. But darn, I do like that wedge shaped one.

p.s. I haven't got the car yet, it's on pre-order.

But wouldn't that pre-buffered cam be running continuously for over a week? I understand you can hardwire and prevent the car battery from draining, but still, wouldn't it be bad for car battery to be in constant use like that?
Use a power bank*, not your car battery. Visit the car daily & swap power banks & memory cards each visit.

* e.g. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00X5RV14Y

Use a power bank, not your car battery. Visit the car daily & swap power banks & memory cards each visit.

As I said, I don't want to visit the car daily. I live in a high rise and I'm too lazy to visit it each day.

As I said, I don't want to visit the car daily. I live in a high rise and I'm too lazy to visit it each day.
Sorry, missed that point. In that case I can't think of a solution within your budget.

If the car is always parked in the same location an external camera looking at the car is a better idea than an internal camera looking out if you have that option

If the car is always parked in the same location an external camera looking at the car is a better idea than an internal camera looking out if you have that option

Unfortunately not really, since it's a condo building garage. I think my solution is to forgo having the camera security when it is parked in the garage for a week's time and only use parking mode for when parked outside on errands, etc. So for me it would be useful to have a parking mode that needs to be activated by a button and does not come on automatically.

Same IQ but top one is more stealthy but dont have GPS

Not same SGZC12RC and SGZC12SG

Oops thanks, didn't notice the difference in last two letters.

Back