Novatek NT96580 vs. 96680, same thing or different SoCs?

camuser99

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I noticed that some cams, that are advertised as using a NT96680 chip, according to the internal photos viewable in the FCC filings actually contain a SoC chip labeled NT96580(BG).

Is NT96680 simply the commercial name for the NT96580 chip, or do both NT96680 and NT96580 exist as distinct chips, and therefore this would be a case of false advertising?
Does anyone here know for certain?

I noticed that some cams, that are advertised as using a NT96680 chip, according to the internal photos viewable in the FCC filings actually contain a SoC chip labeled NT96580(BG).

Is NT96680 simply the commercial name for the NT96580 chip, or do both NT96680 and NT96580 exist as distinct chips, and therefore this would be a case of false advertising?
Does anyone here know for certain?

Given no one else has answered you I guess the answer is no one knows for certain.

My understanding is they are different but I don't have any technical information from Novatek to prove this.

In regards to false advertising, is the company/companies you are referring to actually advertise their product based on the fcc info they submitted?
If not then how can it be false advertising?

However if you have opened up a dashcam and found the chip in side is not the one they say should be in there then Yes I would definitely say at the very least it is false advertising and
perhaps even Misrepresentation or even Fraud!

IMO only.

There is no NT96680. The NT96580 is also called as NT98528, the advanced version is NT98529.

There is no NT96680. The NT96580 is also called as NT98528, the advanced version is NT98529.
Thank you very much for this clarification. Then the ads which mentioned NT96680 (but where the FCC filings clearly show NT96580 a chip) must have been simply typing mistakes.

must have been simply typing mistakes.
Not necessarily, some brands like to make out that they have the best, and when it is so difficult to find out the truth, why not not make some intentional typing mistakes?
I noticed that some cams
That might mean that the "mistake" was made by the manufacturer, and the companies rebranding the dashcams just copied the mistake, since it is also hard for them to check, they tend to just trust the manufacturer.

It needs someone who actually talks to the relevant part of Novatek, like Viofo, to know what doesn't actually exist, it is hard enough for other people to find info on the Novatek chips that do exist!

Generally, it doesn't much matter, since recent Novatek SoCs have only really differed in their processing power, the number of processing cores, and maybe the number of video channel inputs. What matters is what the dashcam company can manage to make those SoCs do, and some brands get more out of the cheaper processors than others get out of the expensive ones. Some of the newer SoCs coming up might be worth taking note of, Novatek have been investing in new semiconductor technology, so the newer processors are likely to be significantly more power efficient, and at some point they will include an AV1 codec, but for now, I wouldn't worry about the processor number, it is the image sensor that matters, you want Sony Starvis 2 image sensors, plus a Novatek processor that can handle the Sony HDR properly. None of the non-Novatek processors can do that yet.

Back