NYPD pulls thousands of body cams after one explodes

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
There is no sub forum on bodycams, so I figure this is the best place to post. I know myself and few others expressed interest in a body cam and I considered getting a keychain camera. Its my belief police forces should pursue dashcams and bodycams for their vehicles and officers

So a story about an exploding body cam caught my eye, NYPD pulls thousands of body cams after one explodes

thanks for posting, I'm in NYC and didn't even hear about this yet, lol... obviously its either a quality issue with the camera or battery, or a user issue maybe the cam was mis-used (kept at hot temp, got wet, dropped, charged improperly, or damaged by user, etc) who's knows if they even had education on how to use them safely and caused damage maybe it dropped a bunch of times who knows, but it was just one out of how many, since its just one incident reported according to article, it could be isolated incident, I presume the NYPD union forced them to pull all of them from officers anyway, I don't think most of the officers want them anyway from what I have heard, so they probably used it as a reason to pull all of them, IMO.
I believe any cam or battery pack with a lit-ion is subject to failure if mis-used and/or faulty quality. the manufacturers have horrible quality control these days, you can see it in everything produced, its a 'free for all' to push stuff out to consumers to make maximum profit with shoddy materials and workmanship build quality, and with no care for safety and quality, the attitude is - make it cheap as possible and rush it to market whether its good or not, and whether its even ready for release or not and with no safety testing, then do not check it for safely and test it for quality, just put it out there and what ever happens, happens. lol.

Last edited:
didn't even hear about this yet
NYC are a damn big city around 50% more people than my whole country as i recall, and if you take the whole state its 4 X more people.

B&O are over the top, making their new remotes, in the first couple of operations it is fine, but later operations the demand for quality ( on a remote body ) are so high if a human touch it it is ruined.
One can then ask one self if it make sense to put that much effort into a damn remote, i would prefer the money was sunk into the AV or audio part of the product,,,, which are also high.

I have painted parts for Dynaudio speakers, 1 imperfection smaller than i pin head,,, more like a pin prick and the parts was sent back for repaint ( inspected with magnifying glass at Dynaudio )
But when i did it only a handful or so out of 2 - 300 came back to me for repainting.
My Boss was mighty impressed, not least since i was new in the job, and powder coating are pretty much the only kind of painting i am not educated for.

I feel all emergency workers, whether it be police, ambulance, or fire should have dash cams on the vehicles and in some cases, wearing a body cam. In Hamilton, Ontario, there is a case where ambulance workers apparently did not provide suitable performance to a good Samaritan who was stabbed and have been taken to court for negligence and fired by the city. If they were wearing bodycams, it would have provided evidence either way.

Ontario's provincial police was relunctant to provide to dashcams on all of their vehicles due to the cost. You would think they would know the costs before they started a pilot project. May be a case of officers not wanting their work being filmed all the time.

In Las vegas, micheal Bennet made some allegations against the police. Body cam and security cameras revealed something otherwise.

So given how I feel about emergency personal using body cams and dash cams, It unfortunate that one has exploded. Hope its just an isolated event.

edit: grammar
edit#2. Perhaps not having body cams on ambulance workers due to the nature of the work, but I don't know what can be done to counter claims about misconduct if not wearing such devices.

Last edited:
I feel all emergency workers, whether it be police, ambulance, or fire should have dash cams on the vehicles and in some cases, wearing a body cam. In Hamilton, Ontario, there is a case where ambulance workers apparently did not provide suitable performance to a good Samaritan who was stabbed and have been taken to court for negligence and fired by the city. If they were wearing bodycams, it would have provided evidence either way.

Ontario's provincial police was relunctant to provide to dashcams on all of their vehicles due to the cost. You would think they would know the costs before they started a pilot project. May be a case of officers not wanting their work being filmed all the time.

In Las vegas, micheal Bennet made some allegations against the police. Body cam and security cameras revealed something otherwise.

So given how I feel about emergency personal using body cams and dash cams, It unfortunate that one has exploded. Hope its just an isolated event.

edit: grammar
edit#2. Perhaps not having body cams on ambulance workers due to the nature of the work, but I don't know what can be done to counter claims about misconduct if not wearing such devices.

A woman in Texas accused a state trooper of sexually assaulting her, and the dashcam and body camera proved it was a lie https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-falsely-accused-texas-state-trooper-sexual-assault/story?id=55407714

Back