on phone, stopped on pedestrian crossing....

Last edited by a moderator:
g1wh !

I have upgraded the video a bit, and can see things on my screen but will depend on what you are viewing it on..

Last edited:
Try this. Hard to make out what the driver is doing with the reflections, but he probably shouldn't have been parked right on the cross walk. He likely didn't see the pedestrian approaching from that angle.

KuoH

That YouTube link just takes me to my own videos.

That's two foreign cars today - had a Polish one do the same today - not sure if the rules are different out there though as I've seen quite a few of the European videos where they just bomb over pedestrian crossings when people are stood there? Not that it makes any different here as they should use our rules and stop!

The lorry driver shouldn't be stopping on a crossing anyway.

I never actually realised but just read that you don't have to stop at a zebra crossing in the UK - only once the pedestrian has started crossing.

The highway code contradicts the crap out of itself though (seriously it needs fixing) - cars don't have to wait for you but don't cross until the cars have stopped!

https://www.gov.uk/rules-pedestrians-1-to-35/crossings-18-to-30

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

hc_rule_19_zebra_crossings_have_flashing_beacons.jpg

I never actually realised but just read that you don't have to stop at a zebra crossing in the UK - only once the pedestrian has started crossing.
You don't have to stop anyway, only give way.

I think it is deliberately written that way because if it said that pedestrians had right of way and cars must stop and the pedestrians took advantage of that then we would end up with a lot more deaths/serious injuries! Instead it is for the drivers and pedestrians to negotiate who uses the crossing first with an expectation that the pedestrian has priority if it is safe for the driver to give way but if the driver feels that it would be unsafe to stop then the pedestrian has to give way. The pedestrian is often not in a good position to make a good judgement if it is safe for the driver to stop or not and doesn't have control of the vehicle anyway!

I honestly don't see the difference there though - just had a look and they're phasing out zebra crossings because too many people have been killed or injured on them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...i-tech-replacements-increased-death-toll.html
"Government figures show five people were killed on zebra crossings last year , compared to just three people who died in 2006."

Is that a statistically significant change?

"Last year 24 people were killed at pelican crossings..."

So they are going it replace the zebras by pelicans?!

Ahh - it's the Daily Mail :D

I see they also blame the drivers! These days I regularly see many females wander across the Zebra at the local university without looking because they are on the phone, even if you leave your braking very late they don't appear to notice so obviously aren't listening to the traffic either - I'm amazed that only 5 got killed last year!

As an outsider I think I see what the problem is -

Zebra crossing
Pelican crossing
Puffin crossing
Toucan crossing
Equestrian crossing

The system was designed not by traffic engineers but by a zoologist. :D

Here in Aylesbury, they trialled a tiger crossings... (from Wiki)
Tiger crossing[edit]
A tiger crossing is a variation used in Hong Kong, and formerly (experimentally) in the United Kingdom. It is painted yellow and black. In the UK, it allowed cyclists to cross in a central area of the road without dismounting, and obliged motorists to give way to both cyclists and pedestrians. Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire experimented with tiger crossings in 2006 and 2007, but replaced them with toucan crossings.[11] Switzerland also uses yellow stripes for pedestrian crossings, but unlike the above crossings, cyclists are required to dismount to cross the road.
Problems with British zebra crossings have been discussed by the Cycling Embassy of Great Britain.[12]

For some obscure reason, pedestrians believe they have complete right of way at crossings. I witnessed one woman walk up to a crossing and step straight out without looking, almost under the wheels of a car - she then started shouting abuse at him. I said to her "you do realise that you are supposed to wait for traffic to stop before walking out" - she said "no, traffic is supposed to stop at crossings" I told her she was wrong & needed to read the highway code.
It's a real shame that the education system doesn't teach real world skills instead of some of the daft stuff we had crammed into us. Young kids could be taught how to be good pedestrians, as they grow they could move on to learning to ride safely, moving on to car basics in senior school (it's amazing how many don't know how to change a wheel or even where to put the oil

....For some obscure reason, pedestrians believe they have complete right of way at crossings. I witnessed one woman walk up to a crossing and step straight out without looking, almost under the wheels of a car - she then started shouting abuse at him....

It was a incident similar to this that made me decide it was time for cameras in all my cars.

A young (20ish) girl busy texting stepped off a curb and almost into the front fender of my car. (Yes I said it right, she would have walked into the side of my car versus me hitting her.) Same reaction - she unleashed a tirade in my direction blaming me for her ignorance and lack of common sense. (I'm also of the mind that common sense isn't all that common either when people have a phone in their hand, or most other times either... :eek:.)

It was a incident similar to this that made me decide it was time for cameras in all my cars.

A young (20ish) girl busy texting stepped off a curb and almost into the front fender of my car. (Yes I said it right, she would have walked into the side of my car versus me hitting her.) Same reaction - she unleashed a tirade in my direction blaming me for her ignorance and lack of common sense. (I'm also of the mind that common sense isn't all that common either when people have a phone in their hand, or most other times either... :eek:.)

Or a dog :)
I had green for turning left and this idiot turned right in my path, then has the nerves to tell me don't you see the lights there:confused:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/how-not-to-cross-traffic-lights.7718/

Sad to say but this side of the pond, our glorious leaders have decided we all need to be wrapped in cotton wool for our own safety.
Even if you could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the idiot stepped out without looking, the driver is on a hiding to nothing with the law.
You can see there is a crossing there - therefore you need to be more vigilant.
You can see there is a pedestrian nearby who might reach the crossing a nanosecond before you - therefore you need to be more vigilant...

Despite the fact that hazard perception has only very recently been introduced into the driving school, we are all expected to be over-cautious.
And it's not just with pedestrians.
As drivers, we must also be very wary of cyclists as they can - and often do - do stupid things, and they will be doing them much faster than cyclists. Bikers fall into a similar category, they are another group who will do the stupidest things whilst on their way to donate an organ or two.
And then, of course, there are other drivers. That dozy bunch of idiots who don't care about their own vehicles - or anyone else's.

As far as your insurance company is concerned, that idiot who is about to sideswipe you has every right to do so, and when he (or she) does, their insurance company will pay for all damages. HOWEVER. If you can avoid a collision, you must. Even if avoiding that collision means you write off your own vehicle by driving into a brick wall then you must do so.
Because when you put in that claim against the other driver, it still counts as a claim - and future premiums will be weighted against you because of this claim.
Your own insurance company is, therefore, getting paid many times over for doing absolutely nothing.

Back