One USB Port 2 Devices

Lou_Stuhl

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are the 3 kinds of ports my car has. I use the USB port to charge my iPhone. Can the other 2 ports be used for a dash cam? The one on the right reminds me of the old cigarette lighters that used tons of current. I'm guessing this isn't the same thing. Left port, I have no clue. Do I have to choose between a dash camera or my phone? If so is there a USB cable splitter? 3B9AB236-DEB6-49F8-8592-648FFD8EC681_1_201_a.jpeg

Left is a USB-C port, for use with modern USB devices. Some dashcams such as the Viofo A139, A229, T130 use USB C, although they are normally used with a USB-A cable. Older USB devices can use the USB-C port if you have a suitable cable.

Middle is a USB-A port for older USB devices.

Right is a car 12V accessory socket, possibly it is a cigar lighter socket but it doesn't look very heat proof! This can power a dash camera via an adaptor, most dashcams currently come with a suitable adaptor included in the box. This is normally the most reliable way of powering a dashcam.

Just to add that although the middle USB port looks like the obvious connector for powering your dash cam or charging your phone it may well be limited in terms of current output which might cause issues if the device needs a higher current to function properly.

It’s for this reason that I use the supplied accessory adapter to power my dash cam.

Just to add that although the middle USB port looks like the obvious connector for powering your dash cam or charging your phone it may well be limited in terms of current output which might cause issues if the device needs a higher current to function properly.

It’s for this reason that I use the supplied accessory adapter to power my dash cam.
I would think.... any dashcam that came with a USB connector would have an appropriate power demand. But you are right in that the supply from a USB outlet is limited.. and varies among different manufacturers.
To the OP.. there are gadgets that plug into that cigarette lighter thing that will give you more USB outlets.

My Honda has 2 USB ports on the dash. One is 2.5A and is the one that connects to the headunit for things like Android Auto. The other port, that is listed in the manual as just for charging devices, is only 1A and most modern dashcams would fail with just 1A.

If you don't want to hardwire then I agree with the power socket adapter, but, make sure the output is at least 1.5A, preferably 2A, a lot aren't.

That's good to know, thank you all very much. I will be shopping for my dash cam this weekend, maybe for a week or two. So much to learn but this is a good place to get started.

My Honda has 2 USB ports on the dash. One is 2.5A and is the one that connects to the headunit for things like Android Auto. The other port, that is listed in the manual as just for charging devices, is only 1A and most modern dashcams would fail with just 1A.

If you don't want to hardwire then I agree with the power socket adapter, but, make sure the output is at least 1.5A, preferably 2A, a lot aren't.

You are lucky that you have a car with ports with such high outputs, mine only is rated for 500mA (0.5A) so can only be used for data and very slow charging.

Thanks for the help. I just learned what a parking mode is & that I have to hardwire the dash cam to have parking mode so I'm rethinking how I'm going to install it. Digging up all I can find on hardwiring. The unit I'm looking at is a

A129 DUO DUAL CHANNEL 5GHZ WI-FI GPS FULL HD FRONT AND REAR DASH CAMERA & it's going in a 2022 Chevy Spark.​

Back