Oops! SD card jammed?

David Walsh

Reaction score
Country
France
Was busy formatting a few old cards in the camera and now one of them will not eject!
I know how to get the front off the camera but this doesn't help me a lot.
Any advice much appreciated.
Dave Walsh

Try gripping with Tweezers and try to remove in normal manner. Getting the front off the camera maybe a damage control operation as there are no visible evidence of how it holds together.

Did you turn off the camera before trying to take out the SD? I wouldn't try using tweezers, might put to muich pressure on a smaller spot and do damage.

Yes, camera was off before failing to remove the card.
Any other ideas appreciated.
Seems I might have broken it within a week of purchase!

OK, fixed it. Card was in correctly, it even made an audible "click" when card was pressed in. I released it by gently wiggling each end of the card with a sharp needle; the card gradually came out far enough to grab it.
Other cards still work fine so the jammed card must have some defect, but it looks just fine.
Thanks for the advice.

Some times the thumb/finger nail just will not do it. It is necessary to use a tool of some sort tweezers or small tip screw driver just to give that extra little push. Only problem with that extra little shove is the SD-Card sometimes is ejected quite fast and results in it flying across the room. The device powered on or off will not stop you removing the SD-card but you are likely to corrupt the card and loss items on it and the card will probably require formatting losing everything of the card. But then you may be lucky and have no problems, it's luck of the draw.

I have two identical cams. With one the SD card inserts and ejects normally, but the other requires the card be pushed further in to eject and then you need something small and pointy to ease it out fully. I ruined a 64GB card in that second cam trying to pry the card out; the outer end of the card folded over and broke off. Patience and care are needed with SD cards!

Phil

It's been years since I've had to "click" to inset or remove the card from my dashcan and I remove it everyday to archive the files. I just add a small piece of tape folded over the back edge of the card as a pull tab and just pull to take it out.

KuoH

Back